Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tiger Shark O-ring Maintenance

mrm1955

A couple of questions if I might.

Do you remove the o-ring to lubricate with silicone oil or just apply the oil in the groove?

How often do you lubricate the O-ring?

On my waterproof flashlights, I don't remove the O rings. I just apply lube without removing them.

Whatever you do, don't use anything on them except silicone lube. Other type lubes can and will deteriorate rubber rings.

tabman

From what I've heard about other *shark owners and from Tesoro, the lube is meant to just keep the o-ring moist. Don't slather it too much. Probably once a season would be fine. Wipe off the old and do a light coating of new. Just my 2 bits

Mr O Ring,Please remove the grit and sand between the face plate and housing
this could be done with a Q-tip,Where the face plate and Housing meet is critical
The o-ring can be pulled out with tweezers toothpick etc,Just relube it and replace
it in in the groove on the faceplate.Make sure you use the the proper grease,
silicone no petro chemicals ,as you know petro chems will eat the rubber O-ring
That is all Trooper

Also pool supply stores sell small bottles of very thick silicone for o-rings if you need some, as said keep the mateing surfaces clean with a lite coat of silicone on the rubber. Unless you drop it in the sand when the unit is open should last a long time between applications.

HaRM

I have a lot of experience with this style of housing. I used to do U/W photography and one of my cameras had an Ikelite housing very similar to the Tesoro housing. The key is to use very little silicone grease (never a spray!!) and a lint free cloth. A piece of lint from a cotton swab or terry towel can spell disaster at depth. The best way to remove the oring is to place your thumbs on the oring on each side of a corner and push toward the corner. The oring will lift a bit and you can remove it. Quick and easy with practice. I use a bright LED flashlight to look at the oring and sealing surfaces. Put a slight amount of silicone grease on your thumb and index finger and lightly pull the oring through. The oring should be wet and shiny looking with no excess gobs of grease. Gobs of grease just attract and hide girt / lint. You can feel for nicks and cuts in the oring as you are lubing it this way. Do not over stretch the oring. When replacing the oring make sure you do not have a twist in it.

I wish these housings were clear. It is much easier to spot a leak at depth.