Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Threshold changing in the surf, is this normal?:confused:

wesbeach

The last time I was out in the mine hunting, every time the waves washed over the top of my detector, the threshold changed on me. I turned the sensitivity down to the 1:00 and even 2:00 position and it still seemed to change with wave hits. Is this normal or could I have an electical problem? Hopefully there isn't a problem with the headphone connection.

I prefer it when the detector changes the threshold only when it passes over a target and not every time a wave washes over the detector. When I am detecting in the wet sand, the threshold only changes when I pass over a target.

I would go out in the mine more often if the detector did not change threshold tone everytime a wave hit.

n/t

The other posts have covered the sensitivity settings that should be fine. But I would make one test. You say it falses in the water when the waves go over it. Well the wave action is also moving around the coil wire. When you are on the beach you said it doesn't happen. But when you are on the beach the coil wire isn't being moved around. I would try moving the coil wire around both down around the coil where it goes into the coil and where it starts wrapping around the shaft and also at the top where it enters the detector. If it falses when moving the wire around you may have in intermittent break in the coil wire. Just something to check. Hope this helps.

HH

Beachcomber

I am planning on hitting the low tide this afternoon and will try out some of the suggestions. I will let you know how I do and what I find.

I was out yesterday afternoon and I think I may have found the problem. I seemed to get the falsing only when big waves hit, then I noticed it seemed the waves would push the detector down and make the coil hit the bottom. I think the coil hitting the bottom was causing the problem.

I was out for three hours yesterday and found a few pull tabs, bottle tops, and some change, plus one toy car and a piece of costume jewelry in the shape of a butterfly. I think I will try again this afternoon and see if I have any better luck.

Just keep working with it and you will probably find the right combination, Last nite it was at about 11:00 position in the wet sand and went to high noon position for the water hunting. Watch for them big waves every now and then, they always sneak up on you when your back is to them.

I took my EXCAL 1000 out to a fresh water lake and the threshold changed when I bumped it to the bottom of the lake...I had to turn the threshold down to barely audiable... The same thing happened in Southern California...MY COVER IS SEALED WITH SILICON so their isn't any falsing going on there...It seems I had to use my scoop to reset to a normal threshold ,other people are doing this also to reset their threshold...I went to MINELAB in LAS VEGAS and spoke with SANDRA BURTON about this and it is common...However, I would prefer a single tone on the threshold even if the coil gets bumped and then the threshold should reset to it's original tone...But that is me and I am picky....