Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thoughts on using this tool

wicked looking, looks like it may snap and cut your hand real good:stretcher:

That is a great idea, packing a pair in my tool bag!:clap:

n/t

Ive used them for over 30 years and never had a problem with them. When the teeth get dull throw it away and get a new one. Works great on tree roots and in a pinch a 2x4 . If you find a tool out there that will make it easy on you. USE IT....

You could probably use it to carve a turkey too! :rofl:

I think you have a good idea. Beat's my small pruning sheers. On yours , I would cut off about 4 inches to get to the thicker part of the metal

I agree with those who expressed a concern about the blade snapping, and with the previous post that says you should shorten it so you have thicker metal that is less likely to snap on you.

While you're shortening it, I would round the point down considerably, to avoid accidentally scratching the "D" off that 1916-D dime, or the "S" off that 1909-S-VDB cent!

[quote lordmarcovan]I agree with those who expressed a concern about the blade snapping, and with the previous post that says you should shorten it so you have thicker metal that is less likely to snap on you.

While you're shortening it, I would round the point down considerably, to avoid accidentally scratching the "D" off that 1916-D dime, or the "S" off that 1909-S-VDB cent![/quote]

The drywall jab saw will probably bend before it snaps. Mine are all bent! LOL

...very good observation, though... I AM a surface hunter and use all sorts of home made probes from sharpened screwdrivers to icepicks, awls and ground down knives... And I have scratched, gouged, scraped, and chunked ALL SORTS of coins and trinkets.
Over the years I've even scratched the precious stones on valuable rings and destroyed the value of some older coins.

Can't say I would advise anyone to use a probe that wasn't soft brass, if at all!

Pinpointers are a GOOD thing!

It looks like it could do a lot of damage to your find if you accidently got too close and hit them.

I don't know about that particular model but the jabsaw or drywall saw I use at work all the time for drywall is relatively ineffective for wood. Even though it has very sharp aggressive teeth. Made to cut through plaster in a hurry. For your saw to be of maximum use you would have to have some clearance under the root to be able to saw it back and forth. I would not worry about breaking it. My is very limber and as somebody mentioned much more likely to bend than break. Watch them though, if you get bare skin anywhere near the blade it will bite you.. Don't ask me how I know just know that I KNOW what I am saying on that part. I am using a 7 in 1 tool for gardeners and landscapers and it works really good on roots.

Looks like it could do some damage to you if it snapped. course, you would never be bothered with those pesky persons following you around and asking questions all the time.
HH, Wes

Looks too flimsy and too long to get any torque for cutting roots. Besides you'd have to have a pretty large hole for it to fit! Get a cheap bowie knife, with a serrated edge. Or you may even want to try a sod cutter w/ a curved blade.