Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thoughts on Cutting Plugs

botlmole

Saw a few people mentioning cutting plugs to retrieve coins or targets, any thoughts or words on this? I have been chewed on at 2 different parks, the person in charge said these guys are cutting plugs out of the grass and the grass is dying. They showed me an area where you could see the brown dead plugs on the nice green grass. I had to show them how I retrieve a target so I could hunt. When I was done I went back and showed them all the trash I found and picked up, too bad gold and flip tops are on the same scale.

I usually use a screw driver, blunted at the tip, and or a small knife to make a slit in the grass, then I use the screw driver to feel around till I find the object, been doing it this ways a long time and it works for me. You can't even tell I was there.

The method that you use I wouldnt worry about it unless you were invited to leave. Check online for your parks and see if there are any rules on detecting. If you dont find any and want to put your mind at ease, look for a park ranger and ask about park detecting. I did a few days ago because of a confrontation I had a few weeks ago. The ranger told me if using a garden digger they wont bother you at all. But, if they see someone with a shovel, they will run them out. Before we parted he said, good luck hunting.

I found this video the other day.. it pertains to you subject of ground control..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEZNWMXKDE&feature=related

The problem with digging "plugs", comes primarily when a patch is mostly/entirely detatched from the rest, the roots are bared, and/or when the ground is dry (especially with no rain forecast). Grass does not grow strictly from seed. It has what is called a rhizome root system, which means that it proliforates by sending up shoots all along what are essencially stems growing under the surface. Roots grow down, and shoots grow up from this "stem" forming a sort of built in support system. If part of the system is damaged, it draws support from roots/shoots on either side to stay alive long enough to recover. So if a circular plug is removed, it has been completely detatched from it's support system and will surely burn up unless it gets water really soon. Even cutting a flap instead of a plug will have consequences if conditions are dry, especially if the roots are bared in the process of target recovery. When conditions are dry, I've been known to carry jugs of water, just to water back in places where I have to disturb the turf enough to otherwise cause damage.

When going after deeper targets I still use a small spade. I'll first cut a "C" or "V", and tip the whole plug over, being very careful to not knock soil off the roots at the bottom of the sod, and also separating the affected area from as little of it's support system as possible.

I hope this little bit of information helps y'all understand the function of the blanket that protects our quarry, and keeps us out of trouble and in the parks having fun.

Longhair...that is the method I use also but with a garden trowel cutting a half circle or flap and I agree when the ground is dry you are going to do a little damage no matter what! I just look at how well the grass is kept and if it is obviously a well manicured area I go some where else or ask permission first. I think fall and spring are the best times to hunt. Fall because the grass has a long time during winter and spring to recover and Spring because the grass is activley growing and the soil is moist.

Kim

I'm with you guys. I usually cut a plug from roughly 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock and flip it up from the bottom. If I don't see the coin I use my pinpointer and go though the plug or dig a little deeper if necessary. Any additional dirt while gaining through the plug if the coin is in there goes bad down in the hole. I always try to make sure that any loose dirt gets swept back down in the hole before flipping the flap of the plug back down. I'll step on the plug a few times to pack it back down and I'm off to the next target,

Occasionally if it stays dry for awhile Ive noticed when going back to a location that there is a little change in color around the plug but it's not very noticeable. I think the key is to make sure any dirt that gets loose while you are working gets put completely back in the hole because when it dries, it it's very noticeable if if left on top of the grass.