Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This just came in my mail. I remember

Royal

Thuh fender skirt?

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS". A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed"

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world wide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply"expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore!

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Someone forwarded this to me. I thought some of us of a "certain age" would remember most of these.

Just for fun, Pass it along to others of "a certain age"

I also remember the toys we had...pea shooters, yo-yos, slingshots, stilts, rubber guns, kites, steel rollor skates, BB guns, tree houses, forts, and many more. We did not have the malls or big shopping centers to buy "plastic" toys, nor did we have computers.

I remember having an attic fan, not central air conditioning, there were no air conditioned pickup trucks, and you could hunt & fish on your neighbors property without paying for a hunting lease.

Times have changed, and I sorta like it the way it use to be...but that is not to be. Those were some good times! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

but foot feed is one i use to use,but stopped because i thought i was out of step.always called the glove compartment the ...er,glove compartment but everyone else called it the glove box.
dang if i wouldn't have ever thought of those if you hadn't posted this,somebody must have went through a day of nostalgic thinking:).

how about pocket comb,remember those,almost every man or boy carried one,usually in the same pocket as their billfold,and if you ever saw some of your friends,they could get down right rank looking.

then there's the ancient coin purse,and who carries a hanky anymore,i can remember well older men(my dad and granddad)who carried them and on a warms summers day after a little physical activity,they would whip'em out and blow a big load of snot in one,and then put it back in their pocket,usually khakis.

the last person i saw with curb feelers was a mexican and he had them on his pickup,along with every other thing you could buy to put on a vehicle.

my granddad had a word he would use when he could get rid of something,say maybe a cold,he would say he couldn't get "shed of it",and my brother-in-law still uses it.

i know this isn't a word or phrase,but do remember when little mom and pop stores sold tubes for your television in little cabinets and if the burned out you could go down and by a replacement,heck even the t.v. repair man is a thing of the past.

i guess every generation losses a couple of words to progress,i think language is always in a state of flux.of course i remember my granddad saying when he had typhoid as a kid his mother would make up a poltice put in something like cheesecloth or some scrap fabric and steep it and lay it on his chest,i remember looking up poltice to see what it was.

with coontails or foxtails hanging off them? What car line had dynaflows? And how did you start them? Not with a key... How about a Flathead? or a Nailhead? How bout points and condensor?? Whats a Dwell meter?? Now instead of a vehicle having 'curbfeelers",those drivers are called Braille drivers. How bout a "shortwave"radio? or only AM radios,that had too warm up first? transistor radio? How bout a torque tube,instead of a driveshaft? What about a "rake" on your car? or nose and decked? or chopped & channeled? Or how bout a deuce? Whats a 409? or a 283? Dual quads anyone? :lol: :lol: How about a "crow"bar? This is fun! Thanks for jarring the memorys..:lol: e more..Cherry bombs or glasspacks anyone? RJ

i'm having a heck of a time remembering what my dad used his dwell meter for,was it to check current?as a matter of fact i got to thinking and i think my mom still has it.:biggrin:

to adjust the gap electronically,usually around 30 if i remember correctly,instead of manually,with a match!!(Hard times if you were stuck),instead of a shim gauge. :lol:

i believe it was the last year anyone made a tree speed transmission,it did alright,could have got the granny low but had no use for it since it was a daily driver,that old big six was a good motor,my bro-in-law still has it.

i remember the first time i had an ignition module go out on a vehicle,my pickup,had a heck of a time figuring it out,actually i didn't but a mechanic friend did,it just died,thought maybe it was an alternator that went out quick.i had to buy a little slender socket that was special made to get the module off the side of the distributor,had to buy it from a snap-on guy because none of the parts houses carried one.crooks!!!.somebody said you had to change the stator when you changed the module,that was the first i heard of a stater,and realized it replaced the points.

hose antistatic straps that hung under the cars in the rear. I told my first wife that the ruts were in the roads because of those things bouncing on the road. She believed it :shock:

The big dice on the rear view mirror. Car hops at the A and W,

at Fisher Body when the GTO first came out, we built them and they started putting the reverbs in them. When was that? about 66? I thought that was really something.

I remember when the transistor radios first came out. Some cars had them that you could take right out of the dash and carry to the beach.

Glaspacks, and cutouts, A bunch of us dumb suckers went to Florida, Ft Lauderdale for the spring break. This was just after the movie "Where the boys are"" came out. I75 was just a dream. we drove my old pontiac all the way down with the straight exhaust dumping just behind the front wheels. Noisy as hell but we thought we were cool. What morons

Pegged pants and DA haircuts, Sideburns

ever "charge-up" a condensor? Pulling a plug wire off,sticking the condensor pigtail in the plug end,and cranking the engine a few revolutions? Carefully only touch the barrel end? Then saying to a buddie "here catch!!" Man what a Snap you would see and hear,as it gave one hell of a bite tothe recipient!! :lol:

I have. I can remember when my daddy changed the spark plugs, put in new points and condenser, changed out the plug wires. I even remember helping a boyfriend while in high school, pull an engine that was no longer good, and install a new long block! I ended up with grease all over me, but at the time I thought it was worth it.

Nowdays, the dang cars are so computerized, you can barely change the oil at home, and yes, I DO know how to change the oil!!

Thanks for bringing back some good memories. I wish I was there! :)

for a time to iron my daddy's hankies, and make sure they were nice and creased when folding them!!! I bought him a set of four one year for Christmas, and they were monogrammed. I'll have to remember to write this story later! :)

n/t

n/t

n/t