Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This is a interesting find even if unusual way to do it.

George-CT

TORRINGTON, Conn. -- A Connecticut Salvation Army chapter got a pleasant surprise when its members were counting change dropped into one of the organization's holiday donation kettles.

Members found a rare 1881 "half eagle" coin last week while counting donations made somewhere in Torrington on the day after Thanksgiving.

The half eagle was the country's first-ever gold coin and had a face value of $5. It was in circulation from 1795 to 1929.

Lt. Alan Galentine of the Salvation Army's Torrington Corps. said the chapter will be having the coin appraised, but it appears it's worth between $250 and $400. He said it's not clear at which location the coin was donated.

The coin was found when a change counting machine didn't recognize the half eagle and separated it from other coins.

Connecticut's latest breaking news is on WFSB.com and Channel 3 Eyewitness News. Channel 3 Eyewitness News
Be The First To Know: Breaking News, Weather, Sports E-mail From WFSB.com Weekdays

coin. I've never found a gold one, but I've used the clad I found all year to purchase them. Figured once I bought one, I'd find 5 of them...
So much for that idea. I buy the inverse Indian head gold coins off of ebay. Mostly $2.50 ones. I have always wanted to get a ring made out of one of them, but so far haven't.

so of the coins I've found in school yards were far older than the school and I had wondered again if kids were just grabbing coins from a drawer not knowng what they had. They started covering the play grounds in wood chips around here to cut back on skinned knee's etc and its great for detecting in. A screw driver is all you need to move the chips around. The coins gets discolored from them but its sure easy to do.

Geo-CT

n/t