Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking of trading one of my Tesoros in for a Garrett

I was thinking of trading either my Tesoro Tejon or Vequaro in toward a Garrett 2500. I was just wondering what Garrett GTI 2500 users think of their detector. I know they are a little heavy , but any other advice would be greatly appreciated like depth , how they work in trashy areas , high mineralized ground , ect.... Thanks for your input!! Tesoro-CoinShooter

You might want to take a hard look at the GTP 1350. Its alot lighter, batterys last alot longer, Standard Coil isnt as large so you can get into tighter spaces, costs allot less.Very powerful, accurate depth, great pinpoint . My friend got a 2500, but he kind of wishes he would have gotten then 1350. Most people that get a 1350 wont give them up for nothing, you dont see many used ones for sale. The 1350 is well balanced, and wont wear you out, I can swing it all day. The 2500,, I couldnt swing it all day. The imaging coil is just too heavy. The 1350s 3 size target ID will tell you all you need to know, coin size, drink can size, mailbox size.

Yes You get Spoiled real fast using the 1350
I know i need to slow down, i get excited on my finds and start zooming around to much
Great Unit

I like the sizing feature. Once you get comfortable with it and know its limitations, finding coins is like taking candy from a baby. The true all met mode in combination with the sniper coil is a killer. It gets fantastic depth, and still gives a conductivity reading (ID) on the graph. It doesn't size an object, but then moving the coil back and forth gives you an idea on it's size anyway. The stock coil or 12.5" coil works great in old parks and sports fields where older, deeper coins are KNOWN to exist. And again, if using the true all metal mode, it gets exceptional depth, still gives a conductivity (ID) reading and can also size a target for you.

Below is a link to a Garrett GTI 2500 Video in case you want some more information.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7801381067432974025&q

Depth in all metal is awesome. They work great in mineralized ground as they now have a mineral chip installed at the request of the boys in Australia who have some of the nastiest ground in the world. They work well in trashy areas and great if you equip it with the 4.5 inch Sniper coil. The imaging feature ( exclusive on Garretts ) will spoil you for any other detector. I think you would be quite happy with one. Since you can belt mount the battery pack that knocks a full pound off the weight and with the Sniper coil on it's a breeze.

Bill

I have been a long time Tesoro man - that's no secret. My first unit was a Tesoro and I expect to have one of their models in my stable forever.

But I also own Garretts. I've had several: Master Hunter CX II, GTAx 1000, 1250 , Ace 250 and a 1350.
All of them were great in one way or another, and a few, like the CX II and the 1350, were defining instruments for me.
I will soon be using a Grand Master Hunter CX III. So, while no expert, I know a thing or two about Garretts.

I would suggest that any of the top three Garretts would suffice for most of your general needs... and beyond.
I certainly am in the group that won't part with their 1350's.

No matter what you do, I'd suggest one thing if you get a Garrett - give it time to grow on you. They DO NOT work like most other detectors, in that they are wholly digital in their approach.
Most other units, even if they are digital "in their guts," function on what can only be called an "analog operating model." In essence, they operate like an analog detector.
The Garretts dont really attempt to do that, and can be a little "quirky" for those coming from that experience base.

Yeah as I used to tell them on the Garret Classroom, " Garretts don't operate like other detectors and if you try to use one like other detectors you'll only get frustrated and fail."

Bill

3 reasons I love the GTI 2500...All Metal Mode, Depth, Imaging feature...hard to do without it.
I detectied 4 straight hours with it the other day as I found 5 Gold mines in N. Cal and the weight didnt bother me at all.

Good luck,
Alan in S. Oregon

I don't know what it is about people who swing a metal detector , but most of them seem very nice and helpfull , and even going out of their way in some instances. I really appreciate all your insightfull advice and opinions. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do because I'm in the market for a different vehicle right now and it depends on how much money I have left over after I find one. If I do have some extra money left over for a new detector , you guys have me torn between the 2500 and the 1350. They both sound like great machines. I just want something radically different than the Tesoros that I'm using. I do love my Tesoros , but I really would like to give something a lot different a try. Minelabs seem too overpriced , most Whites seem too complicated , so that leaves me thinking a Garretts would be my best alternative machine. Thanks again for all your input I'll keep you posted if I purchase a Garrett or not. If I do , I probably won't be able to use it untill next spring , because I live in Northern Wisconsin and the detecting season will be coming to a close real soon. Thanks again for all of your advice as it is greatly appreciated!! Happy Hunting , Tesoro-CoinShooter.

Should you choose a Garrertt you wll have something that is radically different. I've owned and used ( plus field tested a few ) Tesoros since they opened their doors for business and they are great machines - but they ain't a Garrett by a long shot. Good luck on your decision.

Bill

Minelabs seem too overpriced , most Whites seem too complicated , so that leaves me thinking a Garretts would be my best alternative machine.
'Bout sums it up. Not that I have anything against Australia, mind you, but the Minelabs are made there, in OZ - not in the US of A. Just in case you didn't know it. To me, in this day and time, that matters for something. Call me a rebel.

Whites? I like 'em, in general, and have a very nice Eagle II SL '91 now. Looking back, I've nearly always had one or another of the Sweet Home products. Complicated? The higher end ones, oh yeah.
At the lower end, not so much, but not so unique either. Once they went to the underslung housing as standard, though, they got ergonomically cranky, IMHO.

Paradoxically, only Tesoros vie with Garrett :garrett: for ease of use. I say paradoxically, because the former are analog modeled units. Dead simple and dead basic, with the exception of their flagship model.
The Garretts :garrett: are none of those things... Not analog modeled, not dead simple and not dead basic.
Yet, Garrett :garrett: has managed to integrate the right user features and high-performance digital parameters to the benefit of the operator.
Some say they are gimmicky, even toyishly so. Having used many "hardcore" and elitist detectors over the years (including Tesoro), I understand why they say that.

TRUE CONFESSION TIME: I used to say it myself.

But if you sell Garretts :garrett: short, based on that reasoning, well - that's okay with me. I won't hold it against you while I'm out enjoying mine.

Get you a Garrett :garrett:. Let it grow on you. If you dont like it, then, there are plenty of people here and elsewhere who will make you a good and fair offer on it.
You can hardly lose for having tried one.