Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking Fisher F4 or Gamma 6000......

Woodrow

I not new to MD'g, but never really had the upper-end machines that they have and when I say upper-end, I mean the newer technology that's come out with MD's.
At first I was set on a Fisher F4 with the thought that it would last me a few years and maybe then, if the fun-money was available, I could upgrade to another machine with more features, depth, etc. I called up Bart today and talked with him about an F4 and everything sounded great until close to the end of the conversation when he mentioned the Gamma 6000. Now I'm not made of money and to be honest, am on a pretty tight budget, but it got me thinking. OK, I buy the F4, use it a couple years and then try to wait until I can get the cash to do an upgrade. So instead, now I'm thinking and wondering if I should go ahead and spend the extra on a Gamma 6000, which hopefully would last me longer without having to upgrade. I've heard it's a good machine and I was told to speak with everyone about the 6000, especially Monte who is supposed to know them well. As far as money spent, I'm going to be going from roughly $450 up to $600 plus if I go with the Gamma 600 instead of the Fisher F4. My question is, is the jump in price going to be worth it in the long run if I do go with the 6000 instead of the F4, as I intend to keep the machine I buy for several years, unless of course I win the lottery.
For all those familiar with the 6000, of which I don't have much info, would shelling out the extra on the 6000 be worth it?....And, could someone clue me in as to the ground balance on the 6000? Reason I ask about the ground balance is, the F4 has a manual GB which I really like. From what I understand, the 6000 has both an auto GB and a manual. Is this correct? Here in my part of Missouri, there's lots of iron mineralization and a nice ground balance would be good, but I think I'd prefer a manual over the auto. But, if the 6000 has both auto and manual, that'd be even better.

So, do I do the normal "first detector with the new technology" and try to come up with the money to upgrade later on and go with the Fisher F4?...Or, do I go ahead and put out the extra for the Gamma 6000 with the 11" dd and 5" coils? I know hardly anything about Teknetics, so I need some good, honest advice as either purchase will be it for at least a couple years from now and I'd like to get the best machine I can that will last me for a while.

Any advice, suggestions from the Gurus would be much appreciated. :wave:
Thanks very much

If your looking at it that way you could go up from the 6000 to the Omega 8000 with the 11"DD coil instead for around the same money mentioned, or the G2 and it comes with the 11"DD.
Both are top line modern detectors that will last you for a long time.
You can always pick up the 5" coil later or maybe find a good used one but I find because they have the 11" DD coils on them they seperate trashy spots well and go deep too.

Woodrow,First off congrats on concidering a First Texas product in either the Fisher f4 or the Teknetics Gamma 6000.You really cant go wrong these are great coin hunting detectors.Now do i think its worth the upgrade as you say to the Gamma 6000.YES if you can afford to now, in the long run its less cost then buying one now and in a year or two buying another detector and by that time there will even be newer ones from First texas to decide on anyways lol.The gamma is an excellent metal detector i own it and i use it a Lot.I have the Omega as well and the performance between the two is very very close with the Omega giving you just a few diff functions..I use the Gamma with the 5 inch dd coil mounted on it at all times,what a combo that makes.You will want the 5inch coil for sure its great in parks with all the trash there it seperates the targets with ease.The Gamma also uses just One 9 volt battery something to think about there in over all cost and you will get around 20 hours out of each battery using headphones.Alkaline battery that is....The Gamma is very light and you can hunt all day, it wont be the detector getting you tired it will be all the bending and digging of targets the up and down so many times that wears you out.The gamma is very Quiet running, you can run high sensitivity with out a lot of chatter and thats nice at times.I like the ability of 4 diff tones to choose from like the Omega has but the F4 may be a 4 tone machine as well.I generally hunt with number 4 tone on both the Gamma and the Omega.Yes The Gamma has both ground grab or manual ground balance but i can tell you the ground grab option will spoil you it works great its faster easier and correct.I live in Illinois and always seem to just use the ground grab function to set the ground balance here and its usually in the upper 50s...The display is easy to read and it locks on coins well giving you that high tone pitch and locking on a solid number on the display usually reading between one or two numbers on a coin.The gamma also has dual headphone jacks for either normal size jack plug plus has the smaller size jack plug for the ear buds and lighter headphones.The user face menu is easy to use moving between disc settings and sens settings, number of tones and what you may want to notch out if you desire to do so.What dont i like about the gamma, i can only think of one thing and thats the onoff button which is right above the groundgrab and pinpoint button so you have to be carefull not to hit that and shut the detector off..Yes i have done that a few times but i make sure im careful now since i wear gloves is probably why i have shut it off a few times.Not to confuse you but if cost is a huge factor i may also suggest you look in to the delta 4000 and add the 5 inch dd coil to it and thats also a great detector for the money maybe even the best buy out there for the performance you get for the money you spend...I have truly enjoyed using both the Gamma and the Omega and my brother in law kicks butt with his delta and 5 inch coil combo.Best of luck to you and if you have any other questions ask on here for there are some very highly talented people that use these detectors and will give you there excellent advice.They are a library of knowledge....Markmac

Spend the little extra..........get the Omega. Well worth the Gamma/Omega price bump. And the 5" DD is a coin monster that will snake out coins in the trash like you won't believe. It gets approx 1-1 1/2 inches less depth than the big 11" DD. Impressive for a 5" coil.

Good talking to you yesterday. Lots of great guys here with tons of info. The Teknetics Gamma 6000 and the Teknetics Omega 8000 are amazing coin and jewelry machines. Monte, Terradigger, Markmac and several others here have lots of experience on these machines.

Like E.F. Hutton..... People listen when they speak!

Thank you Bart:) Woodrow, I read your post again. I saw the 'money is tight'....believe me I know the feeling. If its the major point, then Markmac's advice is very sound. After all, he owns both machines. I own the Omega, so I am a little biased. Dave Johnson, the designer of this line of detectors thinks the Gamma is the best value for the money in the line-up. Very close to the Omega in performance, if not equal. But I still stand by what I said on the 5" DD coil.

If those were my only choices based on everything that I've read, I'd pick the Gamma if I were buying new. Fisher/Teknetics should be coming out with their special deals soon, so don't jump into something too fast. When I purchased my Fisher Gold Bug new I was able to use a factory coupon to purchase a11 inch DD coil for only $75. I could have purchased the 5 inch DD coil for $75 also, but I saw no need to do so, because the Gold Bug came with the 5 inch DD coil. I wished that had now, because I could have used it on my Omega that I traded for later. If I ever decide to sell my Gold Bug, I'll need to purchase another 5 inch dd coil for my Omega.

Oh, see if a dealer can sell you a Gamma with either the 11 inch DD coil, the10 inch concentric or the 5 inch DD coil instead of the 8 coil it normally comes with, because those are the only coils you will ever need. My favorite is the 11 inch DD coil. It covers a lot of ground with each sweep.

Get several bids and haggle a little before you turn loose of your hard earned money.:)

tabman

Thanks for all the info...The reason for thinking about the Gamma was that it might just last me longer before I have to do an upgrade and I like the sound of, as well as my wife...lol

Does the Gamma have the good target discrimination like the F4 in 4 tone mode?...That's one thing I like about the F4 and I'm sure I'll be seeing alot of trash mixed in with the good stuff. Just want to make sure I'll be able to weed out all the trash from the coins, rings, etc if I'm in a trashy area. It'll be a little harder going with the Gamma as it costs more, but I think it comes down down to pay for better now, or wait and have to pay quite a bit more on an upgrade machine later. I'm not too familiar with the Kenetics, but when I saw the Gamma and the face/button setup, I was definately giving second thoughts to the F4. Just want to make sure it's gonna give me ease of use like the F4, but still have the different coil options and the hope it will find things alot better. If I go with the Gamma, it'll be the 11" dd and the 5" coil, no doubt. So the Gamma is up and beyond the F4?...And with money being tighter, I want to make sure I make the right choice and not spending more on the Gamma if the F4 will do the same and be just as good a machine. Trying to squeeze every penny til it screams I guess you could say and the best I'm going to be able to do is the Gamma 6000.....I love th sound of the Omega, but just too much for now, so it's a choice of F4 or the Gamma. If only there were a dealer closer to me that I could put my hands on a Gamma and give it a try. So, my only source of knowledge is from you guys :)
I've read some of Monte's posts and he seems to be a big believer in the Gamma, so maybe he'll chime in, call me Grasshopper and set me straight...lol
Thanks again guys....Much appreciated for all the info!!
And thanks again Bart...I'll be talking to you again very soon :)

have you thought about the f4 and a propointer for about the same bottom line

Actually I think the Gamma (with a 5"/11" coil compliment) will keep you from having to do a upgrade, unless your heart is set on a particular higher end model. The DD coils will definitely add to the resale value of the Gamma if you move up down the road.. As Tab said, First Texas now allows the consumer to buy Teknetics units with the 11" DD as the stock coil. A few bucks more, but believe us, the 11" DD coils are what turn the certain Teknetics units into depth/target seperation monsters. You will pay alot less getting the Gamma with the 11" as the original stock coil than if you buy seperately, unless Teknetics runs that $75.00 holiday coil special like they did last year. That's how I got my 5" coil last year. Do some reading on how the Omega improves depth wise/scan area with 11" DD coil. Although, Monte prefers the stock elliptical concentric on the Omega and has explained in-depth in posts in this forum why he prefers it. Monte is one of a handful of the most experienced/knowledgeable members in all of Findmall's forums. So his experiences/recommendations have great value IMHO.
Tab is right, the holidays are coming up, shop fiercely and wisely. I spent years in sales and that type of shopping is expected during the holidays by businesses, so don't be shy about lowest price matching or better. Also, buying from a reputable/helpful dealer is important. You have already been talking to one:)Best of success on your quest.

Make it one more vote for the Gamma with 11"DD. Buy the F4 and then (probably inevitably) upgrade later, you'll lose about 30 to 35% of what you paid for the F-4 when you sell it. That's "throwaway" you can avoid incurring if you can swing the Gamma right out of the gate.

Fisher F4 is quite good for his price, good iron discrimination and has 11" DD series coil, but Gamma without his 8" coil is better!!! instead to buy the Omega you can buy a Gamma and a 11" DD or a 12x10 SEF search coil, it is really powerful !!!

I think I'll go with the Gamma....Sounds like it's gonna last me longer before the thought of an upgrade comes about.
Thanks for the info guys and gals. Very much appreciated
:please: