Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking about starting a ckicken ranch, but the city won't let me have it in city limits.

Bayrat76

I saw this chicken and could sure use a few of them. I know chickens eat anything and I got plenty around here for them to eat. Lots of cats and the neighbors toy Puddle which thinks my yard is for his business. One of these Texas chickens would do the trick. I would like to see the looks on the neighbors face we he started crowing at 5 am.

n/t

n/t

There used to be a 'chicken ranch' at LaGrange, Texas, but the law had to shut it down. There's a movie about it starring Dolly Parton (the real madam there was in her 50s, skinny, had mousy brown hair, & wore thick glasses) & Burt Reynolds as Sheriff Jim Flournoy. Jim, at the time, was in his 70s.

The Chicken Ranch was a well-known item in Texas, but it didn't get famous nationwide until after it was closed. A Texas writer wrote a story in Playboy called "The Best Little W____house In Texas." That was the basis for the movie & later a stage play of the same title. And yes, Jim Flournoy really did punch out Marvin Zindler in the rotunda of the Texas capitol, just like Burt Reynolds, playing Jim, 'punched out' Dom DeLuise, playing a character based on Zindler. Zindler was a muckraking TV journalist in Houston. When a certain very infuential lady in Texas, whose little brother--who was about the worst example of what a rich kid can be--got a burn at the Chicken Ranch, she--& his mama--were convinced 'those evil women' seduced him & purposely infected him. He was a regular customer of several such establishments, including La Siesta Motel in Austin, which was run by Hattie Valdez. She & Mama sicked Zindler on the Chicken Ranch & the rest is history.

Incidentally, the building was moved first to Dallas, where it failed as a restaurant. It's now reported to be in Nevada, where it's back to its old habits--but legally, since it's not in Clark County. Clark County, Nevada (Las Vegas) is the only county in the state where 'the profession' is illegal.

For the record, Jim Flournoy was in his 70s at the time he punched out Zindler, & the madam at the Chicken Ranch looked nothing at all like Dolly Parton. She looked like an old-maid schoolteacher.

How long that place had been in business nobody knows for sure, but it got the nickname 'Chicken Ranch' in the Depression. Guys would trade chickens, other livestock, or produce for sex because nobody had any money. The girls didn't get rich, but they didn't starve either. LaGrange, Texas, near where it was located, tolerated 'the profession,' some say since the days of the Republic of Texas.