Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking about loading the camera and a thermos of coffee, and going for a long ride...............

Kelley (Texas)

on a few back roads here in South Texas. Tried to go on a ride yesterday, but ran into rain after fifteen minutes and returned home. The yard has already been cut, the dog has been given a bath...need to get going before that woman finds something unpleasant for me to do around here. I probably should clean the garage, it is so bad that if some boxes fell on me, it would take someone a week to find me in there. The problem with cleaning the garage is that I start going through the boxes and looking at old treasure items or other items of interest...never end up cleaning the place. I guess I could go sit on the tail gate of the pickup truck...maybe Cindy will decide to cut her yard wearing the short shorts and halter top type shirt, or maybe the neighborhood boys will come out to play some ball games in the street. It is not much fun living in the city, always great to get on the bike and make my escape to the back roads. Yes, that is what I think I will do...get on that bike and do a Lewis and Clark thing and go explore new places. It is going to be a beautiful day, should hit 95 degrees with little wind. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

after the holiday. Really sucks.

I am cleaning the house before Mary gets up here today. It will make no difference because she is a typical woman, she will see everything I have missed and ignore all the work I have done.

I told her the other day that it would be like her mowing the lawn-yeah right- and my complaining because she had missed a spot here or there. I would not think of it.

I am a thinking she is getting the idea that it is better to let some things just slide. We will see.

I have my pond about finished but have to run power out there. I don't really want to so it will be one of those jobs that will be done "Later" :D

n/t

Yesterday was coming home through Hot Springs and I got in behind an older gentleman dressed in a white golf shirt and nice pressed Kahki pants etc...on a 1200 Harley. He just did not look the part. I thought, "new bike I reckon."

I followed him through traffic, one light after another and watched as he seemed to ride so tentative, like he was afraid of the thing. Yup, it was confirmed; a new rider. On one such stop light, the old guy was in front of me and when the light turned green, he dropped the clutch and it lurched forward and died, nearly jumping out from under him! I thought, "Dear Lord, let me get past this guy sos I don't have to clean up any blood today." The second time he tried to move out, he unloaded the clutch AGAIN too fast and he nearly toppled over. The third time, he made it just fine.

He must have been in his mid seventies--and a NEW rider at that (new, sparkly helmet etc., etc.,). He would have been a lot better off taking that 20 grand and buying himself a new party barge or something!

Well, I pulled into the bank to transact a little business and when I was about to pull out, here comes two ambulances with lights and sirens a whailin'. I just prayed under my breath for protection for the old man. As I went further down the road, about four or five miles, I had all but forgotten about the incident. But as I was passing a gas station, who did I see fueling up? You guessed it! Uneasy Rider!

I know I don't comment on each and every story like I should, but I DO read them and I enjoy them so much. I hope soon to rejoin the writers here with some fresh material.

stay safe buddy!

AJ

PS The Arkansas State Police did a study years ago and found that the VAST majority of motorcycle accidents occurred on either rented or bikes newer than 90 days. It makes sense. I have had a bike since I was twelve and am lucky not to have gotten seriously hurt. I still have my 1974 Honda Trail 90, with 1500 miles on it and that's about as daring as I get these days on the road. <><

spent nowhere near $20,000 for my bike. Arkie John, what you observed must have been an Arkansas thing. When I decided to buy and ride a motorcycle, I took a class to learn how to ride one, never left my neighborhood for the first 30 days so that I would correctly and safely operate all the controls as well as learning the characteristics of the bike...only then did I leave the immediate area. When possible, I avoid heavy traffic as much as possible and use common sense when I must ride in heavy traffic. I live a couple of miles from the open back roads and there is where I do most of my riding, not on city streets when it can be avoided. I also do not drink beer when riding the bike. Recently, I completed a two day advanced motorcycle riding course...I am a believer in riding in a responsible manner. The day that I feel that I can not handle the bike safely, both for myself and the general public, it will be sold. I would also like to add that I wear a helmet at all times, gloves, boots, and a heavy shirt in warm weather and a leather jacket during cold weather, I have maximum insurance coverage not the minimum required, and I do have an actual motorcycle endorsement on my licence. The biggest threat that I encounter on a daily basis is folks driving cars while showing no respect for the motorcycle rider, or else they are talking on a cell phone and do not see the motorcycle rider.

After moving to the city, I took the bull by the horns, put a smile on my face and went on with my life...I am not one to sit around and feel sorry for myself. After much soul searching, trying to figure out how to move on in life, I decided to explore the hobby of riding a motorcycle and riding the back roads with a camera...I found out that I was capable of doing this and the decision was made to do so. I am having fun riding the back roads and taking pictures with the camera, and then posting a story or two about my adventures. My long term dream is to take a cross country ride to the West Coast, visit Canada, Michigan, Arkansas and possibly even the New England area, and take some pictures of historical sites or other sites of interest. All that is holding me back at the moment is more riding experience and I need to find a way to condition myself for such a trip. Is it possible to do this? I my opinion, yes...I just need to find a way to do it. "Can't do" has never been in my vocabulary. Kelley (Texas) :)

I really like motorcycles, it's just that I have had my share of them. The incident with the old guy was just plain scary. He had no business on that thing with little or no experience. He's somebody's father and grandfather and probably husband and I think to jump on an iron horse with little training is irresponsible. You did it the RIGHT way. I just hate to see people go off half cocked.

Like in diving, people need to be trained (certified) before they are let loose under the water on their own. I jumped through all those hoops way back in 1982. But it is just silly to take unnecessary chances with your life.

Heck, for two shakes, I'd buy be another road machine, but really, I have just too many hobbies tuggin' at my pocketbook and my calendar right now. The last thing I need is to rekindle the 'thang' I once had for bikes.

You WILL make that ride cross-country. It was always a dream of mine but I doubt if I shall ever realize it now. I just waited too late. My priorities just changed. What can I say?

Have a good evening. I look forward to your adventureous stories and beautiful photographs of the landscape. Hug on the family.

aj