Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking about getting a Vaquero...

SandCat

...after several hours of reading here and elsewhere.

I live in an area with a lot of clay and iron ore .

Main use would be relics and coin hunting. From what I read, the Vaquero does well with mineralization.

Lifetime warranty is hard to beat too.

No used one on Ebay. I found a couple elsewhere in the low $300's that I emailed about, but haven't heard anything yet.

From all the threads I've read here, it seems the Vaquero would suit me better than the Tejon given the soil I have.

SandCat a lot of detectorist shy away from Tesoro metal detectors because they don't have a lot of the new digital displays and touch buttons, but they are a great metal detector.I will admit Tesoro needs to come out with some new detectors,but for me i like a good old fashioned knob and switch.The Vaquero is a great all purpose metal detector with a wide variety of coils.It is ultra-Lightweight which is a very important thing.It has a good operating frequency of 14.5KHZ which covers the range of coins,relics,and gold nuggets.And yes deep seeking if you tune it properly with the available ground balance control.So it is a very capable light weight metal detector that to top it off only takes one 9v battery and has a life time warranty! what more do i need to say! I am one that believes in a manual ground balance control because be real ,you are going to want to go after the deeper older targets, and the way to do it is ground balance your metal detector.If the metal detector has factory pre-set ground balance it will lack the extra depth you need for the detector to penetrate the ground to get that ten inch deep coin or war relic from hundreds of years ago.Tesoro may follow the other brands and go digital or they may not, i really don't care because they work for me.I have been into hunting with metal detectors since the 70's so i am kind of old school anyway.But there are plenty of brands and types to choose from.Tesoro is not the magic bullet and neither is the next brand.It is all up to you.Can you do this?.Will you have the patience to dig hundreds of pounds of trash?.You have to take control if you want to do this.You have to do the research.You have to read about how metal detectors work.Which frequencies are best,to use discrimination or not.were to hunt,were not to hunt.I did not say it was easy.Most people give up the first day out!.Good luck SandCat because you will need it.Chucky.

I've had a Garrett for 13 years, so I've learned a few things. I just think it's time to get a new machine.

Had many great hunts with mine. Relic hunts at the old plantations and coin and jewelry hunting at the parks or beach. Listen to the signal, chopped, broken, loud or soft, it tells alot. Check with Richard at backwoods detectors, I think he has a used one avail. He is great to deal with.

Hey Sandcat:
I just bought one today from a dealer in Wisconsin.
I spent many a day asking questions abouot the Silvder Umax, Cibola, and
finally settled on the Vaquero. It fit my needs and my price range. I thinks its
going to be a good detector. I'm sure you'll enjoy your if you decide to buy one.
I too am interested in coins but relics also.

Good luck with what ever one you decide on.

Katz

Thanks for the replies and feedback. Especially thanks for the tip about Backwoods. I sent an email of inquiry.
If I can't find a used one, I'll just get a new one.

SandCat said:
...after several hours of reading here and elsewhere.

I live in an area with a lot of clay and iron ore .

Main use would be relics and coin hunting. From what I read, the Vaquero does well with mineralization.

Lifetime warranty is hard to beat too.

No used one on Ebay. I found a couple elsewhere in the low $300's that I emailed about, but haven't heard anything yet.

From all the threads I've read here, it seems the Vaquero would suit me better than the Tejon given the soil I have.
PM sent.

I have one with the 5.75" concentric coil included you can buy. It is in great shape and rates an Excellent Condition rating.
M email is dahut@bellsouth.net

SandCat said:
Okay, I snagged a great deal on a used Vaquero at BackWoods. Thanks for the heads up guys.
Hope you got the extra coil....

SandCat you really will like the Vaq.Put it this way,the vaq will go deeper than the Minelab Sovereign i had last year and that is a $800.00 metal detector that is highly regarded as one of the best.I ran them head to head and the Vaq beat the Sovereign.Good rechargeable 9v batteries work good in the vaq.You will not have to buy batteries.It is great to have a 9v detector because it is to me a better choice than a detector that takes AA's.Let us know how you like it.