Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Theres a MONSTER in.....

Lil Brother

my computer! Help!----All these pop-up ads keep relentlessly coming; from gambling to sleezy women wanting to know things like-----Do you like me? Are you age blablablabla.....and so forth. I am just an old countryhilbilly that still uses 2 fingers to type. This is really mind boggling and makes using my computer a big hassle!

Carol played with it last night trying to fix it, but to no avail. Arkie says to take it in and let an expert look at it.Probably 50-60 dollars! This is robbery and should be outlawed. The computer is stealing my time on the computer! I have a hard enough time as it is.

Its truly amazing! These ads come in by the hundreds and talks about "aurora" Does anyone know anything about that? Please advise--I might want to try to write a story soon. Thanks!

Lil Brother:):)

download the program called Google Toolbar. It is very handy and has a popup blocker with it. I never surf without it running. So far it has stopped 314 popups

Most likely you have adware or spyware on your computer that's causing the popups. There's a new generation of viruses, trojans, adware and spyware currently being planted on peoples computers. In some cases they're impossible to remove. I had to wipe my daughters harddrive and do a complete new install, she had one that replicated itself continuously and wouldn't let any of the current removal programs scan her harddrive. Some have to have dedicated programs written to remove them, and by the time the programs are written most are obsolete and won't do the job. Probably 99.9% of them are installed on unsuspecting people's computers through Internet Explorer or IE Outlook Express. If you, are anyone else, are using IE as your primary broswer, or Outlook for email, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change to another browser and email client.

Firefox and Opera are two that don't write any files outside of their own directory, and cookies, cache and other files downloaded while browsing can be deleted at any time. Firefox is easy to change over to from IE, it imports bookmarks, passwords and other settings so nothing being used will be lost. It also is fully customizable and if skins, extensions and plugins are needed they can be downloaded and installed from the Firefox website. Firefox does everything IE does with little risk of having your computer compromised by thugs on computers. If you're using IE you would be a lot safer switching to Firefox, or Opera, plus both have built in options to block popups. Opera has a built in email client but there are several, Mozillia Thunderbird, Eudora and others that are free and can be downloaded. Here's some info from the FireFox page.

<b>Is Firefox more secure than Internet Explorer?</b>

Yes, Firefox and all other Mozilla-based products are more secure. Why? Here is a list of the most important reasons:

* It is not integrated with Windows, which helps prevent viruses and hackers from causing damage if they somehow manage to compromise Firefox.
* There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes.
* No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.
* Firefox doesn't use Microsoft's Java VM, which has a history of more flaws than other Java VMs.
* You have complete control over cookies.

JB

thinking about it and it sounds like a smart thing to do.

Thanks for the information JB. It helps to have a good IT staff :thumbup:

Thanks for your concern on my computer problem. I will show this to Carol to see if she understands it. Shes pretty good with computers..... unlike her husband.

Thanks again!

Lil Brother:):)