Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

There was a "Whole lot of shakin goin on" october 17th 1989. I was in the midst of it all, and after taking the earthquake test Royal posted, I failed

Terry B

Sure wish I had a video of me trying to crawl under a 6" lip at the contractor's counter of the lumber yard in Santa Cruz. Every time I would crawl up and tuck my head under it, the next surge would throw me back out about 3 feet. I don't remember just how many times I had to crawl back to the counter, but it seemed like at least a dozen. 8 foot florescent light tubes were dropping from the ceiling all over the place, and a couple smacked down right next to me. Hardware racks were toppling over into each other and the whole giant warehouse and showroom were a complete disaster. Lumber stacks out in the yard were also a nasty mess.

A couple of blocks toward the beach from the lumber company was the old brick coffee company building where the two young workers were killed when it collapsed. Many brick buildings fell or were damaged extensively and had to be torn down later. As I went outside after the initial quake subsided, a reddish fog of brick dust was rising up over the San Lorenzo river, moving in an easterly direction. Cars were askew in the parking lot and the light poles were still swaying. Then the first aftershock hit, and the huge historic church steeple on the hill above the lumber yard started shaking again like a dog shedding water. The rattling of the shingles and boards was really loud, and the shingles were flying off like mad. After that aftershock subsided, the steeple was nearly barren of shingles. On every street bricks and chimney parts were scattered over lawns, and if you looked up on the roofs, there were the telltale holes where the chimneys once stood, and a trail of red and white/gray down the shingles.

On my way home, of course all power was off and people were actually being courteous and waiting their turn at all intersections. That's what struck me the hardest. I may never see that kind of courtesy again, but it was amazing that those rat racers were so nice. I guess they were all in shock. My first duty was to go around the neighborhood with my trusty battery drill, some plywood and screws and board up several broken windows for the folks. Some horses got loose and ran across hwy 1 in Capitola, killing one driver and at least one of the animals. A fellow north of town was sunbathing at the beach back away from the water and up against a bluff, and the bluff collapsed, burying him. The authorities dug the body out some time later.

Us glaziers worked 12 hour days for several weeks without overtime pay, but we were fine with that. The ugly part was many homeowners would greet us with a snotty attitude, usually mad because they weren't first to have their glass replaced that day. We had to wait for truckloads of glass to be brought over from the monterey shop, because nearly all of the glass and mirror in our shop was destroyed. We had to lay 2x12 planks over piles of glass to get the glass trucks out so the loader could go in and clean up the mess. My truck was the only one damaged (of course). The crazy part of the whole scenario was the moving ground at the job sites. The ground was like jello, and almost made us seasick, constantly in motion just enough to feel it. Many thousands of aftershocks for a long time afterwards. Spooky as heck. My wife was amazed that the emergency broadcast system alert on the radio was NOT a test.

Hope you enjoyed the read,

Terry B

that lived in Napa Valley, it think it was during that same quake but I might be wrong but anyway, she said she looked out and her street and as far as she could see, was waving up and down like waves on the sea. She said the telephone poles were all going up and down with the undulations like they were setting on the ocean. That had to be spooky and the bad thing is that there is absolutely NOTHING that man can do about it but ride it out.

I have only felt one quake and it was here in Michigan. Years ago and frankly I had no idea what it was at the time. I just thought I had some verdigo and did not find out what it was until I hear the news report.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I sure the hell hope some others will respond to this story or they might as well shut this site down..

But even those small ones are enough to get your attention...

Now is this quake you are describing the one that happened during a baseball game. I vaguely remember something about a game on [world series perhaps??] and right while filming the game, the shaker happened.

Fair winds

Mikie

Even here in the east we earthquake proof the nuke plants even thought they are built on bed rock. Yet after seeing pictures of what happens and what can be moved around by them I can see why they do it. Mostly here we add in diagonal bracing and wrap block walls. All the folks that designed it were from out your way. Like you said, spooky as heck. I see the buildings in other countrys that are just block or brick with little or now rebar and its amazing more people don't get killed. Yet, seeing the one in Calif in I think 1989 and what it did have the rebar in the the bridge supports even that don't help once it started moving. I was in Spain at the time and a lady we met was from Calif and she was not sure she even had a home to go back to. She called about a week later, she didn't...It had split all the walls out at the joints so they condemned it..... Thanks for post.

George-CT

I hope that I never have to experience an earth quake. Feeling the ground moving must have been horrible. Thanks for sharing this story with us. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

And we were both under my 944 changing out the rear shocks with some new
gas charged shocks. All of a sudden something moved. I figured it was the hydraulic jack failing
and it was time to get the hell out from under the car. We are both standing there, and felt another
shake, and we know its not the jack, and figure one of the oil refineries or massive oil storage tanks
must have blown up. Then my brother's wife comes out and says California was having earthquakes.
We were 1600+ miles away.....
The last time I felt the earth shake violently was along the DMZ in 'Nam
and a 2000 pound-er "drifted" and hit about 1000 meters away from us, and 5000 meters from where
it was supposed to hit. Sometimes when B-52's make drops of large numbers of bombs some have a
tendency to collide and one will nose away from the rest. When those planes are
at eight to ten miles up, that errant bomb can glide a loooong way off course.
I tell you the earth turned liquid under us, and the blast and concussion was unbelievable. I
think everyone was bleeding from the nose & nobody could hear anything.
It was 3 hours before I could hear again and my ears rang for three days. The guy on
radio watch for that hour never did get his night vision back that night.
TOO close for comfort!:stars:

Reading that Terry, i would think, if you had the time, would be to get in the middle of a field, such as a playground or parking lot?