Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

There are some people that are just GOOD at Geocashing

Royal

I have decided to hide some cashes and put one out at Marl Lake. We kayak it occasionally and it is a great place to see osprey and eagles in the summer.

I went out and found a place to hide the thing along a hiking trail. I marked the coordinates and headed home. I got home and logged into Geocashe and posted the cashe and the numbers. I thought that it was pretty easy.

Today a couple found it. They said my numbers were off a little but they found it just the same. OFF A LITTLE!!!:surprised:THE DANG NUMBERS WERE OFF .14 MILES! They still found the thing!

I had hid the thing a few days ago and figured I would go back out and try to get some better numbers. The people that found it posted the numbers that they got at the cashe hide.

I got out there and it dawned on me that I had deleted the cashe off my GPS. Oh well, I would just walk to it and then get new numbers. I got out there and could not find the dang thing! I could not remember where the hell I hid it. So I had to drive all the way home again and get the numbers. I got the numbers that I posted and also the ones that the finders posted. I followed mine and sure nuff. No where near it.

I plugged in their numbers and off I went, ,14miles! I got to the area and still had a hell of a time finding it.

I went to the web site and told them that I was nominating Lee and Jo as Geocashers of the bloody year!! One of them has to be a witch!!

I really try to get them dead nut or as close as possible. With 5 Handheld GPS units I check them against each other. With my Magellen Gold and my Map 60 CSX, I come at the site from 5 different angles at distance for at least 100 yards. I then pick the most consistent numbers of the 8 attempts. I also can use Averaging on my GPS so I will let it sit right at the cache and let it average for 5 minutes. Every second it post new numbers, and once again I pick the one that comes up the most. Also, different brands or even models of GPS will give slightly results. Some use Quad antennas, some use Helix, some Patch. Some have a lot of gain, some very little....So some else's GPS may be way off, or say, not good in cover, be it pines or leaves. If like you had happed, if some called me on it I would check it again just to be sure I did not mess up posting a set of numbers. Another check is if you have a god TOPO map, that uses GPS coordinates, see how close you can get with the mouse pointer to where you know it is. They Google Earth one has built in offset on it so it will not get you dead on, but in general area. Yet, I've used it and once you have found a lot or just understand normal hiding places, you still find them. You can buy external antennas also for the higher end GPS and clip them on your hat. They work good also.... Microsoft Streets and Trips has a GPS mode in it also.... the National Topo map is very good also. You can find these cheap on EBAY. Even the Delorene GPS street finders are very good.

Sounds like your enjoying placing them also. I like getting the notes they leave on the geocache site and the log books. If you get one that no one seems to go to, grab a travel bug or geocoin from another cache and move it to yours. That usually brings them in. I've got one I want to get out now....a red Jeep TB.

LOL, I went to one last winter. The guy did a great job with it, but it was a 5 gallon plastic paint can. He did it up with camo and had some great stuff in it, but I could not get it out of the ground. He made the mistake of putting it in a floodplain area so it had gotten froozen in tighter than a frogs a$$. I went back in the spring and signed he log book and he had all hand made wooden toys he made and stocked it with them. I've got on here I might try before freeze up. I also was cutting up wood this year and found a really nice hollowed out log. I went a little higher up and cut off a top for it and made a hinge for it and a bottom. I have a spot with a MILLION other stumps in it I want to put it in there with them. Easy enough to see, but perhaps not to find the right one.

I did one like it but it was in 5 parts. Needed to find 5 other stumps and in each one was the coordinates to the next stump. The last sump had all the treasures in it.... My wife and I enjoyed that one...Fact she found the last stump. She has a good eye for finding them.

George-CT

I don't think it has the averaging ability. I will have to take more time getting the position though. I didn't realize that.

I would like to get one designed for Geocashing but can not afford it. Gotta run with what I have