Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Wonder Years Chapter 1

A

Anonymous

The Wonder Years Chapter 1

Uh-oh, I hope I did not hear some audible groans. After all, I am one to get started on a series of stories because somehow, I just can

not all good either. You're off to a great start Lil Sis, keep em coming!

Dave

Don't feel bad, we did not get indoor plumbing until I was about twelve. One chore that was assigned to me was getting up at 6:00 AM to fill the water bucket...a chore that I really hated in the winter time when it got cold. Like you, I guess were were poor but we did not know it. Even to this day, I am not money driven like some folks, and really never think much about it. I enjoyed this story, looking forward to the next part. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

it brings back so many memories.

We too had an outhouse and I never much thought about it. It was just the way it was and many of our friends had the same. We lived in a small town and our house was just a basement for 12 years. I can remember pumping the water outside too!

When I think about the outhouse I think of the smell. My parents dumped lime down the hole from time to time but it was always there.. And of course the dang RATS. It was almost impossible to keep them out. We used poison but they would just come back. The problem was that if the neighbors didn't kill theirs, they would just come to ours in a few days.

The dang rats would dig tunnels all over the place and we would try toj dround them out but it just didn't work.

My dad finally backed the old car into the area and hooked up a hose to the exhaust. Stuck the hose into one of the tunnels and let it run. By golly that worked better than anything. It got the adults and the babies in the nests, I guess. They would come back but it took a while.

I remember the winters, using that dang thing. I would to out there and drop the drawers and then hold myself up off the seat. I would then bounce up and down to slowly heat the dang thing up because it is hard to do your business of you are not relaxed.

Speaking of relaxing. Summer was worse. Spiders AND rats!!

You would set there, trying to relax and hear the little suckers scurring around down there and it was hard to get things a going. The dang spiders were also all over the place too. I would set there and just look around and there were webs in the peak and up the corners. Your bare butt was a hanging down over the dang Rats and a slight breeze would scurry around down there and touch the dang hairs on your rear and you would think "SPIDER" I jumped up off that dang old seat a hundred times but here was never no dang spider but it sure didn't stop me from jumping.

Bob Jones was one of my buddies. I really liked Bob because he was the only kid in our area that I could wup. He was a skinny sucker back then and that got him in trouble. For some reason he was standing on seat of our outhouse, looking through the vent hole and he fell in. That boy squalled like a mashed cat. So did his mother when he finally walked into the kitchen, crying and covered to his waste in Ottmars crap.

One thing we used to do, usually in July and if we could scrape a little money together to buy some Fire crackers from Doug Kennedy, was blast turds. Now I guess you have to be a boy without a TV to find the enjoyment in this but we would go out there and light the suckers off and throw them down the hole. Man what a mess and I got my butt paddled more than once because of it.

We lived at the bottom of a hill and on Holloween kids would run down the hill and dump the outhouse. They thought it was fun but my dad didn't. It was always after dark when they did it and my dad would have to go out and set it up again.

One Holloween they dumped it and my dad went out and uprighted it again but NEXT to the hole, on off side with the hole between the outhouse and the hill.

We went into the house and turned off the lights. We looked out the window,which was a little basement window and waited.

It did not take long and we heard the yelling. They seemed to have to do this before tipping one of them over. We gathered around and watched and all of a sudden the yelling stopped and then got worse. I think there were three of the dang fools in that hole full of crap and we ran out and were all laughing so hard that they got out on their own and got away. I am not sure if my dad wanted to catch them anyway.

Yes, your mention of the outhouse brought back many memories.

think we had to make our fun, any way we could. Can't say as I ever remember throwing firecrackers in the hole. I can remember being afraid I would fall in, but the dang hole on ours was really dug down deep. It gave me the creeps, that's for sure. Mother bought a little potty just for her baby girl. :) I shake my head in amazement of the sacrifices our mother's made for us! :)

You have really had lots of excitement in your life...lots of humorous things! Thanks for sharing, and please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

remember our outhouse well and I also remember my Daddy running as fast as he could across the apple orchard when finally he just came to a dead stop, said s#$%! and walked bow legged back to the house!

Also the Carters had a double holer that was fancy!

Lil Brother:lol::lol:

never thought it was very funny! Kind of a "sinking" feeling to say the least. ILY, Linda

had to dig our outhouse hole. I remember Daddy telling the story of wondering why his fine shovel suddenly had a extra short handle----It was because Robert couldnt manuever the shovel while he was digging so he cut it off!:lol::lol:

only am I putting my stories in the girls' books, but also some of their two uncles! :)

never gave it a thought bout being fancy. We had runnin water too, ran down a pipe from the spring into the kitchen. We heated hot water in a big ole copper boiler on the wood stove. Don't know what kind of stove it was, but uncle's was a Glenwood with an oil burner on the side for heating the room.

Dave

and when i visited one time a cousin would wait until i went in and would start throwing dirt clods at it,the board sheathing was uneven and bits of clod would come through.

I always enjoy your tales. Keep 'em coming..

All the best

M