Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Value of a Silver Dime

Dug

[size=large]The spot price of silver today is running around 16.00 dollars per ounce. If you can't metal detect and find a silver dime, you can buy silver dimes for about $1.18 each. It's interesting to consider; the price of gasoline where I live is about $2.50 per gallon, which is just a bit more than the value of two silver dimes. So in lawful money, gasoline prices today, at 22 cents per gallon, are about the cheapest they've ever been.

Doug
Barnesville, MN [/size]

What are you going to do when silver reaches 1980's price of about $50 spot price? Humm that sounds like the double cheese burger comparison. Are you saying its cheaper to just stay at home and buy dimes and save gas? If so then you are missing the purpose and value of the hobby. Having grown up on a farm then doing my 22 years in the service i love just being out.

Dew

:unsure: I probably wasn't clear, Dew. Not saying anything against the hobby at all, only pointing out that the price of gasoline with lawful money has remained stable or fallen, but the value of circulating fiat money loses purchasing power. While the circulating money devalues over time, lawful or constitutional money remains stable or gains purchasing power. One would be advised to get out there detecting all the more and find that lawful money. It may not be a bad idea to buy some too. Remember Gresham's law; bad money drives good money out of circulation. In the photo are 3 silver Rosies and one clad Rosie. These were all found at the same fairgrounds and washed only with water. As an illustration of Gresham's law, which coin will you be willing to spend into circulation, and which coins will you hoard?

Oooo now im with ya. Not only does the bad drive the good out of circulation ... but most in a bad economy will be pulled out of piggy banks and sold for melt. Which drives the good collectable price up in the long run. I dont think there are alot of us who get rid of many of our finds. I guess our kids will have a hay day.

Dew

Without the Hunts (IIRC) or the like doing their tricks, doubt it's going to do that again. (Wonder how many decent coins got melted down then!)

dewcon4414 said:
What are you going to do when silver reaches 1980's price of about $50 spot price? Humm that sounds like the double cheese burger comparison. Are you saying its cheaper to just stay at home and buy dimes and save gas? If so then you are missing the purpose and value of the hobby. Having grown up on a farm then doing my 22 years in the service i love just being out.

Dew