Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The USS CONSTITUTION / "OLD IRONSIDES"

Ron J

Visited Constitution Park, in Boston,last Sunday,while snooping around back streets looking for the unusual. Been 30 yrs since i visited last,although flying by it,whenever traveling thru Boston. I was fortunate enough in 1997 to see her "Sail" off Marblehead Harbor,from my 21' Larson. She was "Tethered" to a Tug,just in case there was a problem. I believe this was the first time Old Ironsides has left Boston,since 1934! [attachment 49678 Constitution101.jpg] A little history lesson here: Launched 1797,with a useful life expectancy of about 15/20 years! Surprise!! She is STILL a commissioned Warship in the US Navy,and the oldest afloat in the World! Length head to toe: 204',at waterline,175', Beam (width)43'6",weighing 2200 tons. First Captain, was Samuel Nicholson,buried by the way,at The Old North Church,of Paul Revere,fame. Have any idea,WHY?,She was built?? Becaussssseeeee,remember,before the American Revolution,America had a large fleet of Merchant Vessels,sailing and trading all over Europe,and Africa,the East Indies an such.At that time the Fleet was protected by THE ROYAL NAVY! After the REVOLUTION, our independent country had no protection at sea.:help: The Barbary Pirates would take our ships,and merchandise,and our EX-pals,the British,dragged their red arses slowly from America,and also harassed our Merchant Ships.They would board them,and "draft" our sailors,into their Navy! So,in 1794,Good OL, Uncle George Washington,our First President,signed "An act to provide a Naval Armament" 6 Frigates,thus creating the US Navy!:usan::usmc: They were to protect our American Merchant Fleet from both groups of Scoundrels! How's that? :biggrin:AND INDEED THEY DID! [attachment 49679 Constitution102.jpg][attachment 49680 Constitution103.jpg][attachment 49681 Constitution104.jpg][attachment 49682 Constitution105.jpg][attachment 49683 Constitution059.jpg]

strung all over the place. We we had sailfest here I got a lot of them that were in the port of New London. I like the bow figureheads also.
This one looks a lot like the Charles W Morgan at the Mystic Seaport except it was used for getting whales. Heres a shot of the whaler.

George-CT

That is the Boston Coast Guard Base,your looking at. Its also the location,where the Consitution was launched in 1797!!In the first two photo's, you see the barrier cables stretched across,because of 911. The little sign hanging off it reads something like,"if you can read this,its the last thing you will see",Really i forgot what it said,but i remember the words,like," Live Ammo will be used!" I also forgot to mention,you need to go thru Security,like at an Airport to get near the Frigate! Old Ironsides,is crewed by Enlisted Navy Personnel,and if sailed,they also perform the duties.I think its a two year tour.[attachment 49690 Constitution087.jpg][attachment 49691 Constitution057.jpg]

[attachment 49704 Constitution075.jpg][attachment 49705 Constitution078.jpg][attachment 49706 Constitution074.jpg][attachment 49701 Constitution063.jpg][attachment 49702 Constitution064.jpg]

OOPS! She only has a single Bell![attachment 49707 Constitution060.jpg][attachment 49707 Constitution060.jpg][attachment 49708 Constitution061.jpg][attachment 49709 Constitution071.jpg][attachment 49710 Constitution076.jpg][attachment 49711 Constitution080.jpg][attachment 49712 Constitution083.jpg]

now I would love to be on one of these headed for places unknown. After all, if you ate dinner every night with a sixteen year old, obnoxious step son, a mother in law, your spouse and a nineteen year old who wants to get married, ...........would you not feel the same way?? :rofl:

She is a real BEAUTY indeed and has held together well over the last couple of hundred years! I showed this to my 24 yr old daughter who loved it.

Very nice work.

Lil Brother

I really love your stories with the photos. This old ship is bigger than I thought it was. I hope that one of these days that I get to see some of these sites in person. Ron, thank you! Kelley (Texas) :)

I can not imagine being on that dang gun deck during engagement. There is just no room for a normal sized man to stand up and when those guns were firing it had to be deafening! It is in Philadelphia.

Love the pictures! There just is not much room on those ships

n/t

great comfort just knowing somebody out there shares my pain.:rofl: