Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The USA.. "The Land of Opportunity".. got me reminesing...

Jim Vokes NY

Long ago when I was nineteen, Everett, the father of one of my friends from school, called me one night and asked if I would like to go to work for him. Little did I know this would me a monumental moment in my life.

Well, I was young but was working in a small factory. Also I was secretary of the union. That meant that I couldn't get laid off while I was in that position.

I didn't know Everett very well, however after some discussion, I did go to work for for him at Bausch & Lomb Inc.

The point of this story is that Everett became my mentor. He didn't give me food or money but he gave me the most precious gift that one can give.

Everett gave me the opportunity to succeed! As I successfully learned each position, Everett would offer me another challenge. All the while passing on some of his wisdom based on his life's experiences (essentially food for thought on many subjects).

Everett also encouraged me to get a college degree through night school. This proved to be excellent advice as well.

Everett has passed on now and there have been other mentors that have influenced my life's path. Every now and then I think of him and the gift of "opportunities" that he gave me.

I have tried to pass on Everett's legacy and did my best to mentor others. I understand the importance of passing on the "torch"!

I bet you have had mentors too. Those that gave freely and without expectations to guide you in life's pathway.

God Bless!

Its tough to get a 19 yr old to listen,and learn,and retain the knowledge.At that age,just starting a career,and not realizing,it may be a long path ahead to achieve a decent living.You were fortunate to have guidance,and learned from it!

I saved myself years of frustration by talking to, listening to and taking advice from older folks with much more experience and, like you, it paid off. We raised our children the same way.....always telling them to draw knowledge and experience from those who have done it. Your's is a "feel good" story for sure.

day from someone. My thirst for knowlege is always present. Thank God for people like Everett, who obviously saw potential in you and just wanted to help you realize this potential.

Scott and myself have tried to do this with our ex son in law, who had the opportunity to take our fence company, and virturally run it someday, after he learned the ropes. He did not have a father that tried much with him, and Scott thought he could try and mentor him, give him advice, and show him a bit more about life. Unfortunately, he did not like to listen, and was too hard headed to sit back and soak up information that could have made him sucessful. He was just 19 at the time.

Now, he is 25, does not have two nickles to rub together, and I beleive passed up a great opportunity. There are not too many twenty year olds that could have had a business handed to him. He blew it, and he now, after it is too last, realizes it. He and my youngest daughter divorced last December, and he lost not only her, but will never have a great relationship with his son, because he just refuses to give up drugs and make his life better.

We got burned on this deal, and that's what you get sometimes when you stick you neck out to far and try your best to believe in someone. Someday we hope he will grow up, leave the drugs and booze behind him, and make a better life for himself.

You, obviously were open to learning from Everett, and I bet you make a good mentor for the right person. Maybe we will too, someday! :)

met Everet when you needed him.

I am thinking on it but I think I have stumbled through life without an Everet to guide me. Could have really used someone like him occasionally though

He was telling the story about the time when a desperate man tried to rob his fathers business. His dad, instead of panicking and hating this criminal, offered the would be robber a job on the spot. The man started weeping and took him up on his offer. He said this man was the best employee and friend his father ever had. Always admired Buddy Hacketts dad for that act of compassion and wisdom.

n/t

learned my lessons the hard way. Some I am still learning

Jim. I have had many mentors including every single member of my family. I never listened as well as I should have and now I try to get the most out of every one I meet.

Every one should have something to contribute. As my old Chief Petty Officer once said,"No one is completely useless---You can always be used as a bad example."

Lil Brother

brought back some great memories. One special person, Billy Underwood, taught me more about horses than I could have ever hoped to have learned on my own. He was a true horseman...he taught me to listen to what the horse was telling me. Thanks for posting this story and please join the ranks here...no fussing on this Forum, we just enjoy the friendships and stories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I think we all have someone like that in our pasts. Good to remember them at times especially when you're trying to figure something out that's giving ya a headache!

Dave

n/t