Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The ultimate dust collector.. Thank you to Ron for inspiration. :):

Micheal_R

Staff member
Ron kinda inspired me on this small tale. He was describing the artifacts that he found on the lightship wreck and suggested that I write about a couple of bells from shipwrecks that I have found over the years. I will do that later, but for this story, I will tell of my near-hernia and the largest dust collector that I have found. It all starts with the sojourn up to Bowie seamount, of which I have written a few stories back.

When we were diving the seamount, we did all of the expected experiments and tests that could be done. It was a very isolated ecosystem and it provided a unique window into the growth and development of that system. Let

a table. I have a few portholes around here and some really nice deck hatches. Sounds like a great way to make them useful instead of stuff in my fathers old antique bus. He collected a lot of old marine stuff over the years. I guess its worth more in just the brass or bronze then what it cost new. Have a few bells also but they were from old wooden boats that got dumped on us at the marina as other boat yards refused to haul them as they new they would be left there. Here its a real problem in cutting them up or burning them as most were documented vessels and the coast guard regs make it hard to destroy it without a lot of paper work and time. Any money we got from it came from the brass, bronze, stainless if any and other usable items on board. Later we stopped taking them also. Many got ran up on rock island, a small rock island at the mouth of the Thames River. I'm not sure who, but during the year, some group came and set them on fire. It was a favorite place for many boaters to go and get parts or just add to their nautical collections. For a long time on our dock I had a really nice swordfish pulpit attached. Everyone that came there I think took their picture on it looking out over the water with a harpoon in their hand. Finally a guy in a nice Egg Harbor came in one evening in the dark for fuel. They had all been out to Block Island winterizing there system to much and ran into it and broke if off the dock and broke it in half. I still have a bunch of doors off the nets of our 2 draggers we had for bait fish and the restaurant. The nets are all shot now, but the doors still look good. Keels are still good on them also. That was fun. Kind of like going metal detecting in the water only you got more stuff. In this area with all the lobster people, you were always swallowing a lobster pot or two. It sure made it hard to pull

On the crabs...Did anyone ever find any of them at the bottom in 10,000 feet of water? I'm wondering what depth they get those big snow crabs from up there in the Bering strait?. Sure are good eating.

Oh yeah. One more question. I seldom hear people talk about the Lost Wax process. I worked in a foundry for 4 years that did the lost wax process. Over the years I worked in most of the operations there. From the pouring ladle, to cutting off all the feeds to the item you were castings, to heat treating, straighting, X Ray, Zyglo, heliarcing them, you name it, I made to the department. But, my most fun there was making bluefish jigs out of stainless. We would make them up in our spare time with our wax die and run off enough of them for the entire plant. When a batch of stainless came due, there were a lot of extra crucibles to let cool and break open. Most of our stuff we cast for for Pratt Jet engines, or Siskorsky Choppers and Ruger Arms. Teeth for garbage grinders. I remember those as I would do the heat treating of them and they had to be brough to a Rockwell of 90..... We made a few anchors up, only the small 10 lb ones for small boats that could use the mushroom anchors. The big ones with all the feeds were just to heavy and would not work in our crucibles. Just to big.... The company then was call Arwood Castings but has since been bought up by someone else. Their precision department was really awesome. They did some really nice work and the girls on the wax process setting them up were good. OK, enough of this, my mind started to wandering.

Good story and pictures.

George-CT

No lobsters out on this coast. Actually, there is a story about that and one day I will have to tell that one. It is all about the Canuck fisheries incompetence and how not to do things. But I have found my share of crab traps. There always would be a string or two that were lost, or we were hired to find. Every year I came up with a few. Made good money too, especially if they were stainless.

You sound like you have done a lot of things and had a fascinating life. I still do the wax casting though. I only make jewelery or silver or gold ornaments for Alice. Take some rings or bracelets that have only metal value and turn them into something nice.

Pleased you enjoyed the story. One day, I would like to meet you and have a good long yak. :):

fair winds

Mikie

n/t

enjoyed reading and is there more?:biggrin:
Sorry i am late here, having puter probs that are my fault, logged in here on another comp (our laptop) and was not seeing any new messages for a couple days, just got on the desktop and realized that i clutzed up!
Gotta go solve this prob.

I will be writing more about artifacts , but I will do it a bit later... The cabin calls!!! :):

calm seas

Mikie

I bet evrytime you use it you are reminded of the recovery of it. I can see why you and Alice treasure it

much more interesting than the lake diving I usually do.

I love what you did with the porthole! You are a skilled feller buddy:thumbup:

n/t

I must be getting old too.. :): I can remember the older dives... it just takes a nudge from someone to remind me!! :):

calm seas

Mikie

the mounties about that too :blink:

Looking forawrd to getting wet with you again, buddy. See you soon.

n/t

For sure, there is not another table like it anywhere!

I think we might be kin...since we like the same kind of stuff etc.

Beautiful story and accompanying photos. . . stuff that makes this forum go 'round.

Hail to the master-blaster!

aj

Thank you for taking the time to read it!!

calm seas

Mikie

The water temp is 78 o F and needs to be at 65 before the crappie begin their 'fall frenzy' to fatten up for the winter. I've been gettin' ready for that.

Bow season for wild turkey and deer begins 1 October (Good plannin' huh?) I have been gettin ready for that too.

In the midst of gettin' ready for the above, the detecting has been put onthe back burner, with two tropical storms in three weeks, a guy can't get a break! :lol:

I am content to be a worthless, full time hunter,fisherman and treasure hunter...as soon as I get all the downed trees cut up from the storms.

aj

I have to admit Mikie, if I EVER found a porthole anywhere like the one you found, I'd do all I could to recover it...and tomake a nice dust collector. But I'd have to hire someone talented like you, to make the legs for me.

That was really a good story.