Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Trespassing Preacher, Part II

Arkie John

I see that Linda has dutifully introduced you to the latest adventure. If you have a little time, allow me to rewind for just a spell sos you can get a little more of a grip on the situation.

I pulled up to the old home place and parked. Seeing no one around, I knocked on the door--no answer. Now I had come 40 miles and really wanted to give the place another go-round, so I did what any self-respecting individual would do. I went into the woods anyway but not before leaving a note, as follows: "Hello, my name is John Garrett. I grew up here on this property. I attempted to you but no one was home. I am in the woods behind the house and shall return about dark. I hope you will not mind me parking here for awhile. However if you need get in touch with me, please call XXX-XXXX. Thanks so much, John

With that I grabbed the yeller feller and sharp-shooter shovel and headed out. I got some good mid-tone readings along the old trail to the gravel pit and stopped to dig a couple. It was at that time that I accidentally unearthed the old green-glass bottle. It tugged at my heart, being found not 100 yards from Momma's back door step. "Yup, she surely used this stuff to make us kids well-a great find." The cap had long since rusted away but the bottle was beautiful to me.

I meandered on up the trail finding little. I got to where I buried a treasure so long ago and STILL did not find it. I just KNOW Gary Carter came back a couple of days later and unearthed my crystal and pocket change I buried that day in a 4"X4"X4" pine box, when I was 9 or 10. I kept looking as the shadows lengthened. I was having a good time, all to myself.

I did get to go places I never have searched before and found several memorial pennies. One had an imprint where a BB, fired from a pellet gun had almost pierced through the back side of it. The result was that I could feel ole' Abe's nose protruding from the front. What a find! Maybe Tome did it after I was long removed from the ole' pit. Who knows! I searched the old hut sites, the old road where boys would bring their girls in their cars and fool around. I envisioned loose change being dropped as they hustled around after the "act." No dice.

It was solitude at its best. Then I caught something out of the corner of my left eye. It was somebody runnin' toward me--heck it was Linda, but in an unnatural state. She was huffing and puffin like she had just run a 440 and had an absolutely wild-eyed look on her face...and no detector. She could barely speak.

At this time, I remembered Tom's story about the wine and the pistol and the rooster. I caught myself looking her over real good to make sure she had none of the item just mentioned. :lol: Finally she settled down a bit and told me of the encounter with Mr. Azzhole and how she didn't want me to be surprised by his belligerence and whup up on him etc., etc., etc. I assured her that there would be no fisticuffs as I was having too good of a time...that the ole' boy would either have to get mad or get glad, but that I was not going to let him spoil my fun.

Convinced, she gave me a hug and a kiss and said, "Now Johnboy, you call me whenever you get through here." "OK, Sis." And she was on her way back down the hill to her little "go to hell" car. :lol:

I stayed until I could see no longer and began working my way back toward the vehicle. As I approached I saw Mr. Personality standing on his side porch waiting for the encounter. I went on up and approached as if nothing was going on at all. He came forward and met me at the car as I unshouldered the metal detector.

Now, folks, I don't know how to say this any other way. Honestly, he was the nicest feller I had talked to in a long time. He introduced himself as I didn likewise. We shook hands and began to talk of the trip to the woods. He told me all about "the woman" that came to his drive way...and of the police. I interrupted him and said, "if you were upset, why didn't you simply call me? Oh! You probably tried but since I had headphones on, I probably missed your call." He just grinned. It disarmed him completely. After all was said and done of the ten-minute conversation, he invited me back anytime I wanted.

We shook hands again and parted ways. As I turned out of his driveway, I rang up Linda and told her how nice he was to me. She was just beside herself. "Musta been a man thang, 'cause he sure was an azzhole to me--a real azzhole." I just politely told her that maybe she needed to brush up on her 'people' skills a little. :lol: Oooo, that didn't set well. So, I backed off and said maybe she had already taken all the starch out of him and the last thing he wanted to do was to have another issue with another Garrett on the same day. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. So there you have it. Almost.

In closing, I really doubt that I shall ever return to the gravel pit. It's just a deep, deep feeling way down deep inside. It's like, it has run it course wit me. However, I never say "never."

I gave the bottle to Linda for a reason. "Oh, don't you want it Johnboy?" "Naw, you keep it Sis. Clean it up, write a neat little note about it and spindle the paper up and stick in it the bottle, then place the bottle on one of your shelves in the Cartwright Room. It will always remind you of this time."

If nothing else, that part--the interaction with Linda and me--made it really, really worth while. I'm here to tell you that treasure is not necessarily found with a metal detector.

Thanks y'all for comin' along. We'll do it again soon. I do SO enjoy this forum! <><

aj

I just posted a reply to Linda while you were evidently writing this part of the story. Mr. Garrett, times are changing and folks now days appear to be living only in the "present" and could care less about the "past." Thank goodness that we grew up in the best of times and know the true meaning of the word "happiness!" You, Tom, and Linda were fortunate to have had wonderful and loving parents that taught you three very well...You have done your parents proud. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

But, in retrospect, I'm sure what you say is true.

Hey, have a GREAT time arrowhead hunting today. Linda, Tom and I are going to see our half-brother. A story will come of it later. At one time he had hundreds of points and dozens of pots from the Little Missouri River Bottoms (of which he now owns). He's seventy-three and not in the best of health...but like I said. I'm sure a story or three will come of this 'adventure.

More later.

aj

sad though that a place you had an attachment to is more or less off limits,sounds like people are moving in and out from the larger towns.i'm glad to hear sunny remained so calm:biggrin:.

back in time wouldn't have been the same without one of the familiar scuffle's we all had as kids. You guys were lucky Arkie......Linda was always on your side.:thumbup::lol:

that you got a mean old sis. I have a feeling that she might have hated all of us men folk that day.

Wimmins are neat but you ought to be able to shoot them :D

Sounds like I would like that feller :D

a good handle on the situation. Glad he wasn't upset with you and thet all turned out OK!

Dave

I believe you both!;)
I sure understand what your saying AJ, some things are beyond value.
Hmmmm.....do you suppose that guys wife was letting him exercise his atrophied gonads when he talked to Sis? Wonder what would have happened if the wife had started snortin'?:lol:

He just had time to see what an over reaction he had caused, PLUS was bit embarrassed because you were preacher.........I just got him calmed down before your smilin' Mr. Good Guy self came out of the woods! MEN! Plus, I didn't want to see you get you old butt beat up by a bully!!! :rofl: :rofl: