Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

THE THRILL OF THE HUNT (2 parts)..........

My thrill, if you can call it that, is the mere fact of getting out and walking. I take the 25-06 with me during hunting season, and if I get something, fine.... if not also fine. I always get my 2 or 3 deer a year[and they are also always 2 or 3 pointers- I do not want any old tough buck... besides, he would be better left in the gene pool] But even after I have my quota, I still go out with the rifle. Not to hunt , but for protection. Those cougars up here can be pretty tenacious. And the walk is always thrilling.

My son was here for Christmas. He bought himself a .223 target rifle... extra heavy barrel , etc. Since he had not fire it, we set up a target in our field and he had at it. It is nice having your nearest neighbour over a mile away. :):

fair winds

Micheal

many who did not grow up in a rural or subsistance environment do not understand the "thrill" aspect because they do not know the satisfaction of the very important aspect of providing for ones family. To maybe put it in a different context, the same "thrill" could be described as the feeling a young family member in a city or town would get by finding a part time or perhaps menial job that was very important to the family's financial well being or groceries on the table.

Not so much to do with "killing" as some may think.

Enjoy your stories! Thanks a bunch:thumbup:

Hey Wayne,

Looks like you're feeling better. That's great!

I'm glad you folks are enjoying my stories. They are bits and pieces of my life that I am happy to share.

Happy monday to you,

Cupajo

The thrill of the hunt for me was the preparation, the pursuit, the fellowship of spending time in the woods with my grandfather,father,son and now grandsons. It is a time honored tradition in my family. There were times in the past when the food was needed and I still enjoy eating it,but the kill is the end of a hunt...not the entire hunt. Some of my most precious memories are of hunts when a shot was never fired. I can not remember ever not being around firearms. My father began taking me hunting with him when I got out of diapers....I did the same with my son. These hunting storys realy touch home with me .....thank you!

n/t

A few weeks before my 14TH birthday, my dad gave me a wonderful surprise. He had gotten for me my first dogs. They were a pair of puppies no bigger than a hiccup and as lively as anything I had ever seen. The blood line was obvious to any hunting dog lover. I could tell by their markings that they were a Walker/Blue-Tick cross. They were supposed to be the best hounds for fox and

n/t

something primeval about it. Very little done up here other than Coyotes and Cougars with hounds.
I sure appreciated my dogs keeping the Coons out of my fruit trees, grapes and garden. Sadly, no dogs here anymore and i have lots of problems this past year.
I really hate Racoons, nasty little beasts! Got any more more of these stories?:biggrin:

times we would get a phone call in the middle of the night and daddy would go to pick up one of his dogs that had gotten lost from the pack during the days hunt. He always got up, dressed, and went to pick them up. It was nothing for us to have 15 to 20 dogs, and they were always well taken care of! the bassett puppies were so cute when they were small. I have one named Clementine and I would have to hold her ears up above her head when she ate until she finally grew into them.. :)

My dad never took me hunting and since he died young I just sorta had to wing it. I inherited his 12 guage JC Higgins and still have it.

I think the thrill of the hunt is much the same in all of us, be it hunting game, mushrooms, coins, nuggets, arrowheads, geocashing or what ever. It is not the finding that is meaningful to me. It is the quest. I have found many many silver coins and every one is a thrill when I find it but I just throw them in a jar and have given many away. The thrill of finding goes far quicker than the thrill of lookin.

I don't hunt any more but have no problem with people that do. I just don't choose to. I will eat game that is given to me in a heart beat and have killed some starlings and chipmunks around here when they cause problems but will try catching them and relocating them first. Well with the chipmunks that is the case but the starlings get popped if Mary is away. :D

saw a Great Horned Owl, the only one I have ever seen and the thing that sticks out in my mind is the fact that it flew over my head, I was in rather thick brush and leaning against a tree, this huge bird flew over my head about four feet and I didn't hear a thing. Their flight is completely silent.

Since I started going into the woods with camera I see much more than I ever did when I used a gun. For one thing, have the woods pretty much to myself most of the year, no other hunters and such and the animals tend to be themselves instead of prey. The underbrush is much heaver during the summer and it makes you walk slowly and use all your senses, maybe not consciously but I hear and see movements I would not have in the fall with a gun. At least it seems that way.

I remember one time I was in the woods, I think I was hunting morels and I saw a tree stand about 10 or 15 ft up a tree. I was wondering what it looked like from up there so started climbing up. I got to the platform, a small one and looked around and started back down. I stepped on a branch or maybe it was the branch I was holding on to, I don't remember now but anyway the branch broke and I headed for the ground. I had time to use my natural cat like reflexes and balance and landed flat on the ground on my back. I thought I was dead for sure I hit so hard.

Funny but the first thing I did was look around to see if anyone saw my stupid stunt. Man I hit hard but no broke bones.

but I live trap them and haul them off if they are a pest.

I had a buddy that got into it and he was out every night he could. It cost him his marriage too. I crock potted a few of those sucker too when he brought them in to work. :D

It has to be a very exciting way to hunt, watching the dogs work. I have a buddy up here that runs rabbits with his dogs and he actually doesn't much care if he gets a kill but sure loves to watch and hear the dogs work!!

Thanks for the memories bud

Royal, you're lucky! I decided a few years back that I would stop road bicycling, because I saw what can happen when the road meets an older body. I don't bounce worth a hoot!!

I'm covered for two years of income if I get hurt doing plumbing, but my insurance company would just laugh at me if I fell off my bike and tried to collect!!

Cupajo