Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

THE SWIMMING LESSON

bubba2

Back about 40 years ago a friend and his nephew and myself went fishing on a lake close to Perryville Arkansas. About midmorning a state game warden came by and asked to check our fishing license. I had my license and my friends nephew had his license but my friend didn't have one. The game warden took his name and drivers license number and told him to be at the courthouse in Perryville at 12 noon to answer to the charge of fishing without a license. We drove into Perryville just before noon and pulled up at the courthouse and there waiting was the game warden and about 8 other people (also caught without a license) standing out front under a shade tree. The game warden told us the judge was coming in shortly from his farm. About 12 noon on the nose here comes an old pickup truck with an old fellow driving wearing overalls and a straw hat. He gets out and the game warden introduces the old fellow to the group as his honor the judge and gave his name. The judge ask the game warden what charges he has and the game warden calls the first case and the persons name and the charge of fishing without a license. The judge ask the defendant how he pleads and the person admits to fishing without a license and the judge finds him guilty and fines him $20.00. The next case was the same. Remember this was not in the court house but court was being held under a nice shade tree in front of the court house. After about 3 of these cases were cleared out my friends case was brought up. The game warden told the judge that Mr. ........ was fishing without a license. The Judge ask how he pleaded. My friend said "your honor, its true I was fishing without a license and I am guilty of that charge, but could you take into consideration that I was doing community service at the time and reduce the charges." The judge asked what he was doing. My friend said, "your honor I was Just trying to teach that minnow how to swain". Well about then I was thinking "OH NO" he is going to jail for sure for contempt of court or whatever it is. The old judge just stood there for a few seconds staring at my friend and then started laughing and everyone there then begin to laugh. When the laughter died down the old judge with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye and looking straight at my friend said "Mr. ........ I appreciate your community service work. I however am going to charge you $15.00 and court cost for swimming lessons for that minnow." Everyone there including my friend started laughing and the old judge was laughing the loudest. I swear this is a true story cause I was there. Bubba2

That was a pretty hefty fine 40 years ago. Ouch :cry:

that was a quick thinking friend you had and a judge with common sense and a sense of humor. He may have looked like a hick but it is obvous he was the man for the job!

Welcome to our little part of the web and thanks for posting. Many of us are running a bit shy of story's, at least until someone posts a story like this that reminds us of something:thumbup:

that life was simple and folks knew how to laugh. Thanks for posting this story...I liked it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

a guy I used to work with years ago was telling about an incident his wife had with a Michigan State Trooper.

She and three other ladies were headed up I75 to northern Michigan for a woman's weekend. They were laughing and having a lot of fun like women do at times like that. Bobs wife was driving and under normal circumstances she is full of hell and had a bit o fa lead foot.

They were laughing and chatting and all of a sudden heard a siren. Oh Crap! It was a State Trooper and she looked down and saw that she was hitting 85mph. The speed limit is 70 mph.

The Trooper come walking up with his clipboard in his hand. All frowny like. She rolled down her window and looked up with a big smile and said, "Oh officer! Are you going to sell me a ticket to the Policemans Ball?" He cop looked down at her and with not a smile on his face said, "State Police men don't have balls!" My buddy said his wife and the girls just looked at him for a second and then busted out laughing and could not quit!! The more they laughed the goofier they got!

I asked my buddy what the cop did and he said he just looked at her for a second, turned around and got back in his car and drove off..

I bet that cop never forgot that!:rofl::blink:

n/t

...the judge was Judge Brand?

I wish the fish cops had as good a sense of humor as the judge. Truly, I have NEVER met a fish cop with anything other than a "hit 'em hard and balls-to-the-wall" attitudes.

This is an amusing story and I can say that it sounds just like Perry County. :lol:

AJ

You are right Arkie John on the lake being Harris Brake Lake. I can't remember the judge's name but you apparently know the area. Actually it was on a saturday that we were fishing and I think the procedure was that the game warden would go around the lake checking fishing license since there were a lot of people there on saturday fishing. The state had some sort of deal with Perry County that they would have all the violaters show up at noon at the courthouse and they called the judge in and he would pass judgement and the game warden would take care of the paper work right on the spot. The old judge would just come in with whatever he was wearing at the time. I think during regular court hours he was dressed more conservatively.
Part of the story I didn't tell was when the game warden came floating up to our boat he asked for our license and of course me and the nephew got ours out and he looked at them. My friend just kept fishing and wouldn't look at the game warden. He asked him again for his license and my friend didn't look up. The game warden asked us if he was deaf. I replied that I guess he is. Finally the came warden actually picked up the end of his fishing pole and of course he then looked at the game warden and gave his biggest smile. I think the warden was a little P,Oed but if you knew this guy you would know what I mean when I say he was that type that could pull off anything and just about get away with anything. I think if it had been me or someone else that told the judge what he told him then we would probably have received a big fine or gone to jail.
I have another story I will put into the forum at a later date but I won't be able to vouch for the truth of it. If its ok with Royal to post 3rd or 4th hand stories then I will post it later.
Royal, I like your forum.
Bubba2

gets our brains a working!! We enjoy hearing them:thumbup: