Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The stork came yesterday!

jnstrom

Unfortunately, I had food poisoning so I could not have my first back yard hunt!

Today, I took out my Vaquero for an hour. I think I dialed my GB after finding a spot on my lawn that had no metal (tougher then I though!). Within my first two feet I heard a nice loud tone. I practice X ing my target and hoped I was correct (I did not super tune). I used my terrible gardan trowel to make a hole about 8 inches in diameter and stuck the tiny tec in the hole and got another signal. I dug some more (placing the dirt on an old diet coke 12 pack box) and searched the hole again and low and behold I saw metal. It was some strange dremel drilling looking thingy. I replaced my dirt and grass and moved on.

The second dig gave me a penny (not a wheatie but still exciting).

I turned up my Disc to max (I was getting tired) to see what I could find. I dug a deep hole, it felt like I was digging to China but nothing. My tiny tec was going nuts, I kept digging but nothing. Ill go back to that spot later, Just too deep(I think)!

I moved on...The forth hole I found after searching on max Disc. and it gave me a heavy buckle. It looks brass (will that show under max?)

Anyway not a bad hunt for 1 hour, Im learning!

I definitely understand that I need a good trowel and a good non metal probe. My next hunt will be in the back yard again on Max then on on All Metal. Then Ill move on to the playgrounds, soccer fields and on to the beach.

Im having issues with my camera and uploading. I will up load pics soon.

Hay Jnstrom,

Nice going.

Neat buckel. Cool whatzit.

Yes, that buckel would probably sound off with full disc.

It's because it's so big.

Big iron can do that also.

Beer can can do that.

That other deep hole that is making your pin pointer go off

is probably a large object.

The pin pointer will sound off long befor you get to the large

object. But it will only get a short distance on a small object.

Use the all metal mode. You may be able to get an idea of

the size. It may take practice. But I know the size, depth

and conductivity before I dig.

Would you like to see a video on ground balanceing, or do

you think you got it?

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog

Looks like you are on your way with a great start.
I started with my Cibola in super tuned mode. I hit a lot of deep iron that the discriminator setting did not seem to affect too much.

After reading how others set up a Cibola or Vaquero or Tejon, I stopped super tuning and found the discriminator seems to work much better. I am now no longer digging that deep big iron. Using the pin point (all metal) to size things certainly adds information prior to digging.

When I still took the Cibola to the beach, I supper tuned in the dry sand. Not as much big junk to hit on the beach and the little bit of extra depth isn't hard to dig on the beach.

Aluminum cans sound off with discriminator all the way up even if you aren't super tuned. If you pin point, the VCO sounds higher pitched on aluminum than on other targets. It also sounds higher pitched on shallow targets than on deeper ones. With time you will learn to interpret the sounds.

The more time you get with the Vaquero, the better you will get at understanding what it is telling you.

I think Tabdog has had good luck with the fiskar garden knife as a digger. They have a lifetime warranty. I broke two, same place, where the blade is welded to the handle. fiskar replaced them both, no questions asked. When I felt number three starting to flex at the same joint, I spent the money for a Predator digger. Predator is a findmall sponsor. I don't think I will break the Predator. In my opinion, it digs easier as well as being pretty much indestructable.

Thanks TVR and Tabdog for the great advise!!!! I broke down and bought an expensive trowel. Well semi expensive anyway. We will see how it compares (anything is better then what I have). Im also getting a sand scoop.

It is suppose to rain this weekend so it looks like a great time to go to the beach!!!