Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The "Snake Pit" Treasure in West Texas......................

Kelley (Texas)

Last year Debbie and I drove to Bandera, Texas to spend the afternoon shopping and to get a bite to eat. While Debbie would browse around in a shop, I would sit out front on a bench...shopping is boring to me and I just try to be a good sport about the entire miserable thing.

While sitting on a bench when Debbie was in one of the stores, a man about my age sat down beside me when his wife went inside to shop. We started talking, at first comparing notes about how bored we were. I found out he was from a small town in West Texas and had once owned a small ranch.

We continued talking while the wives moved from store to store, just moved to the next bench in front of the next store. When Debbie finished shopping, I introduced her to my new found friend. We waited a few minutes and my friend's wife came out of the store and we were introduced to her. We chatted for a few minutes, then decided to get a bite to eat and visit some more.

As we ate and talked, my new friend, Roger told me that his Grandfather lived on the original ranch near the small town in West Texas where he and his wife now lived. We talked about horses, cows, coyotes and everything possible related to ranching. We soon had to part ways, but we exchanged telephone numbers and addresses. Roger and Pam came to Bandera once a month to shop and eat, sorta like a one day vacation for them. He said he would call us next time they were coming to Bandera and we could all spend the day together.

Since that day, we have met them several times for the day...and have become good friends. The last time we met was in March and it was at that time Roger found out that I had a metal detector and liked to hunt for old things at old ranches. He said that he would talk to his Grandfather and see if there were any old camp sites, or water crossings on the ranch.

A few days ago, Roger called me at the house. He was very excited, wanted to tell me a story that his Grandfather had just finished telling him.

I might add that Roger's Grandfather is 93 years old. As promised, Roger told his Grandfather about Debbie and I and how we met and became friends. He told his Grandfather about the metal detector and asked him if there were any hidden treasures on the ranch. Roger said his Grandfather sat there for a moment, then got up, went to the kitchen and returned with two beers, one for him and one for Roger.

He told Roger that he was going to tell him where a metal box was hidden...a box he saw when he was a young boy. Unfortunately, this box was not on his ranch, but on the next ranch down the road. It is owned by one of the meanest tempered cowboys in the area...so mean tempered that he has no friends. Roger remembers the man...when Roger entered this man's property years ago while looking for a lost calf, the man confronted him and told him to get off his land.

When Roger's Grandfather was a young boy, he use to roam over the entire area, including the area that this mean tempered cowboy now owns. Roger's Grandfather made extra money by hunting rattlesnakes and selling the snake skins to some folks that used them to make hat bands and belts.

One day while hunting for rattlesnakes on the ranch next door, he spotted a large rattlesnake...the largest one that he had ever seen. As Roger's Grandfather approached the rattlesnake, the snake slowly moved away from him and then just disappeared from sight. Now this was one big rattlesnake and Roger's Grandfather moved forward with extreme caution. There in front of him was a round pit about eight feet across and approximately eight feet deep...the large rattlesnake was at the bottom of the pit, along with several more rattlesnakes. Roger's Grandfather decided to go home and get a rifle...he was in hog heaven because he was going to get several rattlesnakes that day, all in one location.

Roger's Grandfather returned with a rifle and shot those snakes. His next problem was to lower himself into the pit to retrieve the dead snakes. Roger's Grandfather did not tell Roger how he lowered himself into that pit, but we figured he must have used a rope...the pit was only about eight feet deep. Unfortunately for Roger's Grandfather, things turned bad!

When Roger's Grandfather reached the floor of the pit, he started putting the rattlesnakes in a cloth bag. He got distracted because there was a crack in the side of the pit, a crack about 12 inches wide by about three feet high. He looked into the crack and saw that it was a small room and in that room was a large metal chest. It was at this time that it happened...one of the rattlesnakes was not dead and bit Roger's Grandfather on the arm. Roger's Grandfather knew he was in deep trouble and somehow got out of the pit and made it home. Roger said that his Grandfather showed him the scar on his arm. Roger remembers the scar and knew that a rattlesnake had bit his Grandfather when he was a young boy, but did not know how it happened until now.

Roger's Grandfather never returned to the pit on that ranch...and never again hunted for rattlesnakes for extra spending money. He told Roger that he had never told anyone about the box that he saw in the crack in the wall of that pit. As Roger's Grandfather finished telling Roger the story, he drew a crude map of where the pit was located.

In a few weeks, Roger and Pam will be coming to San Antonio to visit us and he will be bringing the map with him. I asked Roger if he thought someone would have discovered the pit and large metal chest by now and Roger said that he really doubted it has been discovered because the area is extremely remote.

If Roger and I decide to look for this pit, several things have to be dealt with, how to get on the property to look for the pit when we know the mean spirited cowboy will not give permission, and we will have to decide if we are capable of doing this when our health might be an issue. I am still having problems with my legs because of my diabetic issue...can my legs hold up to the long hike into the area. I did sit a horse for almost thirty minutes a few weeks ago which indicates that I may be winning this minor health problem...but that is another story in it's self.

The big question is what could be in that metal chest and how did it get there. Who would have hid that metal chest? Is there another entrance to that small room? What about snakes, how do you address that issue? Roger and I have lots to talk about. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

If you go, BE CAREFUL but be sure to let us know. Man o' man....know that's treasure hunting !!

The wondering and dreams. They rarely pan out but like I have said many times before, the anticipation is the greatest part about our hobby to me. The dreams. Heck, I buy lotto tickets but only check them every few months. Until I check them I just might be rich. After I check them I know I am not.

Heck, the Rattle snakes are no problem. Just go catch some of those illegals that are flooding across your border and throw them in the hole first :D

Very interesting post Fred :D Fires up a treasure hunter

Could you wait for cold weather when the snakes are sleeping?
That old chest must be pulling you like a MAGNET!

that mean cowboy must be old too,sounds like rogers granddad has had an interesting life,and if he's still able to drink him a beer at 93,well he must be doing pretty good. fred is this ranch out in mason county,i know that's a pretty good drive from bandera,but jim bowie and some others supposedly got pinned down by some indians in that area and are said to have left a bunch of silver there because they were lucky to escape with their lives.

i can feel your anticipation ,if you go out there and find something,don't leave us hanging:biggrin:.i've often wondered if there aren't treasures or burial chambers located out in the rockies of west texas and new mexico that have blocked entrances that may have been only a slit in the side of a mountain.

There is a good book by the title of "The Lost San Saba Mines" by C.F. Eckhardt that you might want to read. Mr. Eckhardt lived in Seguin, Texas at the time he wrote this book. I may be wrong, but I keep thinking that he may have died this past year or so.

Evidently, there were several silver mines in Mason County and the surrounding area. There are confirmed reports of some traces of gold in the area too.

There is much speculation that Jim Bowie did not really mine any silver and some folks think that he led a group of men that robbed the donkey pack trains as the Mexicans sent the silver south to Mexico City. However, there was the fight with the Indians that involved Jim Bowie...the story that you are referring to. It appears that Jim Bowie was not a very nice person, not the hero that some folks have made him out to be.

David, I think that there is more hidden treasure than folks can imagine being out there. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

with the snake problem. It is true that snakes are less of a problem down here during the winter months, but it is not unusual to have the temperatures get warm in February and see a rattlesnake sunning himself on a rock.

I do not think the snake issue is a major issue, nothing like that cave that I found years ago that was loaded with hundreds of rattlesnakes. That cave had the smell of death and I would not go near it again for any amount of money.

The biggest issue would be getting permission to enter that property. It sounds like that old mean cowboy would not give permission to anyone to enter his properly. I definitely would not disclose why we would want to enter his property. If you enter the property without his permission, I suspect that you would be either shot or arrested if caught.

There is also the issue of who owns that large metal chest, or rather who could claim ownership of it. There are many problems to address. This is definitely a very interesting situation. I have probably messed up by disclosing some of this on a public forum, but I guess I have thrown caution to the wind because I wanted to share this story with my friends here. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Life would be kinda boring without the ability to dream. Hope you have a great time on the river today! Kelley (Texas) :)

I will post a follow-up story. If you do not hear from me anymore, you can assume that a snake won the battle. :rofl: Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

there's stories of him ,and his brother selling slaves,kidnapping them,and then reselling them.the silver i was talking about is that that you mentioned,i thought it was mexican coinage,they got in a tight spot and had to leave it.

There is no telling what you would find in it...gold? silver? maybe just old clothes or worst, maybe it has nothing in it.

Say, if I lived in North Texas, I would do some research on the area around Mesquite, Texas. In the distant past, lots of outlaws and gangsters lived in that area. It is the same at the Oak Cliff area of Dallas. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

A real story, first hand, with a possibility of treasure there.

Wish I could be there!!

good luck

Calm seas, fair winds

M

till ya try em on! Might be a bank safe full of spanish gold or something. just watch them guardian snakes!

dave