Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

THE SMOKEHOUSE.................with pics

butch...ar

recently, going through finally cleaning out my computer desk, in preparation of my move---I discovered some very old floppy disks. On one of them was a short story about one of my first expierences metal detecting years ago------this place is now, grown up so bad a wabbit cannot even enter it------the window of opportunity was open to make some fantastic finds at this old place deep n the piney forrests of southern arkansas----the pics are of some of the stuff I pulled from under the old hidden smokehouse

The Smokehouse

by Butch Voss

Back in Sept,97 when I bought my first detector, I did mainly to hunt at 100 old home places that I knew where were from being a bottle digger 30 years ago. When Deer season in Arkansas rolled around,it was too hot to hunt deer, so I would take my Landstar and go hunt an old place for coins or what have you.(first detector was a bounty hunter landstar) I broke that one over a mad bull chasing me across a 40 acre field one day and bought the white's XLT after that run with that bull

One of these old sites still had the rock foundation markers still in place. Now my grandfather had pulled several of them up in 1899 to build his house where he raised 13 kids. My Dad, was the 6th born,in 1913 and he told of going by this old site for years, with his dad as they wagoned their crops to trade with other farmers. This site is deep in the woods, far from a main road. Having dug bottles around this place 30 years earlier, I never stumbled upon the remains of the old "SMOKEHOUSE" and still would not have without my detector.

After a fall soaking rain, I drove my 4x4 pickup as far as I could, then unloaded my Yamaha Timberwolf 4-wheeler and drove another 3 miles into the woods. Ground balancing the detector, I started to hunt but was having extremely difficult times keeping it from chattering too much at one particular spot. It was on the side of a small flat hill top about 50 yards from the house. Every time I would ground balance it still acted up. Kneeling down and pulling back the leaves and pine straw, I could smell the faint odor of wet salt. At the far corner of the hill, an armadillo had made a small hole in the ground and being nosy, I stuck the coil in the hole and got a copper signal, but the coil rod was all the way in the hole. I went to the 4 wheeler, got my short shovel and went back and started opening the hole up bigger.

When I got it big enough to get my head in, I saw a room about 8 ft. wide and 6 ft. across and just deep enough to duck crawl in. Over head was huge 8x8 creosote timbers, that had tested time gone by. On top of the ground once again I started digging, until I hit the timbers but, went thru a whole lot of mineralize soil (OLD SUGAR CURE SALT).

My guess was that the smokehouse had been in one corner of a larger building at one time and the false bottom floor was where the farmer did his sugar curing over the top of the hidden crawl space. Why? I really don

i sure enjoyed it as it reminds me of the many places where i was not persistant enough:biggrin:
I wish you the best! To bad that many of our newer members and friends did not get to read your gritty and marvelous stories!
Any chance of a few reposts?

mr.spencer,what a man.always did like the looks of those old crocks.surprised you haven't got you one of those zero turning radius mowers,seems like all the people who mow for a living are getting them,and i think the prices are coming down a little.

who I tell about my hunting places. I would never hunt a spot that someone showed me unless they said I could.

I have been screwed like that with fishing spots too but never by the same person twice.

That was a very interesting post Butch. Like Wayne says, I sure would love to see some reposts of some of your earlier storys. Love the Bar story's

that really stinks what they did. Glad you were able to salvage some of that treasure. Good story!

Dave

I know I sure would have felt like it. I've got little time for scoundrels like that. At least you were able to retrieve some nice morsels for yourself. If the notion ever strikes you, I'd like to echo the sentiments of Wayne and others for a few reposts of stories past. I'd love to read them ! All the best,
Rob

and as always another great story! I know you felt like kicking yourself in the butt for that one, but we live and learn. Aint no telling what Mr Spencer and his wife found.

We have missed your presence here on the forum and I hope you are doing well.

God Bless,

Lil Brother:)

I once knocked on a door to get permission to detect a old farm house yard.The owner was nice enough and I could tell he thought I was nuts and wouldn't find anything.He told me to go ahead and wanted to watch me for awhile to see how the detector worked.The first target I dug was a 1890 Indian Head in nice condition.I gave it to the guy. He looked at it in amazement for a few seconds then told me to leave for if finding old coins was that "easy" he would get a detector and find them himself.Looking back,I should have slipped that coin into my pocket and continued hunting.I could have given it to him after I finished with the yard.To this day I wonder what else was there....

Great story Buddy,Great to see you back.

a really good one, and you got the teapot!!!! That just wasn't right!
And since you are a cancer survivor X 2, you need to put that smile back on your face!!! :)

The main thing is that you (at least) got a shot at it once.

Oh yeah! It's REALLY good hearing from you. It's been a long time, buddy. Bring us up on what has been goin' on.

I don't write much these days, as the well has seemed to be dry for a spell. Hope you and the family are doin' well. <><

aj

It is a shame that Mr. Spencer ended up being a thief, but there are folks like that in this old world. This story was both interesting and enjoyable, really liked it. It is great seeing you posting again. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

And it is so true that sometimes it is best to just keep your mouth shut. However, you like to have faith in people and feel that they will not turn on you.

A bitter lesson; however, your memories and pictures sure made my day.

May thnaks

Calm seas, fair winds

M