Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The seated lady...

Dan-MO

I just ran across this one I wrote a couple of years ago....not sure if I posted it before or not.

Long before I got into metal detecting my first love for recreation was hunting. There was a time in my life when the seasons of the year were defined as-turkey season, squirrel season, deer season, and quail and rabbit season. I am blessed to live on the edge of thousands of acres of wooded, wilderness areas and for many years I have hunted and explored much of it. During that time I have ran across the ruins of many pioneer homesteads-some dating back 200 years or more and many located far off any path in the deep woods. When I got the detecting

this, as I have never read it! Your stories are just superbly written, and with a lot of feeling! They tell me what kind of person you are! :)

goes straight to the heart! What a marvelous find, that is my sentiment also, it is never about the value! I thought it would be when i first started detecting, i learned different!

and you have a great way of telling it. Like you, I often wonder what the circumstances were for someone to have lost something as valuable as that in their time. We'll never know but it's there for future generations to enjoy again! Thanks for the story!

Dave

And I couldn't help but chuckle at your statement about constantly feeling for the coin in your pocket. That's what I DO too:lol: !! That was a timely post Dan as our best hunting is just around the corner in my neck of the woods. The nostalgia felt from your post served to bring me back to my reasons for loving this hobby. I had lost that warmth somewhere in my journeys. Excellent, excellent post !:clap:

I barely remember reading it. You write so beautifully! I could hear the faint trills of that harmonica in the mountain air.

I would love to be able to find a place like that. It would be a great way to spend the day, even if all I found was an old horse shoe or worn out hoe.

Thanks again for lifting us all UP, with your beautiful, thoughtful, precious story. <><

aj

I have a reason, I am elderly :D

I have thought the same thoughts when I have found something personal in a remote spot. I have said it many times. When I find a gold ring and the thrill I get is very short lived but the pain for the loser is long lasting. I remember few of the many rings I have found but remember every one that I have been able to return!

I have found about 65 halves but the oldest is a 1853. I found it in a swimmin area that used to be a train depot. I don't know what was dumped in that water long ago but every silver coin I ever found there, a couple dozen, was in such bad shape that they fell apart when I cleaned them. This half was in horrible shape, all incrusted. I cleaned it and it started shedding off flakes. I did see the date, 1853 with an arrow on each side of the date but the thing just flaked off and the date went with it. I still have it somewhere but it is just an ugly slug now.

I had forgotten all about that coin. Thanks for the reminder and an interesting post. I know of a cellar hole and it has a spring near it.

I've experienced similar situations where you find something wonderful, and you begin to wonder to whom the relic or coin it belonged to, if the person missed it. I've found jewelry, like brooches and wondered about the women who wore them way nack in the 1800's. What did they pay for them? Were the brooches worn on special occasions, did they take pride of place in the woman's home? Our relics certainly have a story to tell about the people who once lived all those years ago. And we come from them. What is in us, that has passed down from them? All interesting questions, I think.
Angela:)

n/t

The harmonica reeds, the old horseshoes, harness rings, buckles and more. You might find old axe and hatchet heads, old double bucking and single bucking saw blades, and way too many square nails. Old rusted up pocket knives and silver plate forks and spoons sometimes will pop up at these type sites. Also the old bone handled three pronged dinner forks used in the 1800s. Now that I am living away from the old CA Motherlode I really miss the good old hunts. We even found old brass tree bells the old teamsters used on the wooden trees atop mules and horses to alert oncoming teams at dangerous corners and bends. I often wondered how the teams could differentiate between the bells on their own teams and those on an approaching team.