Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The screw above the coil....possible problem??

poptop

I either have a good imagination or what I seem to experience may have some validity. I notice that coils seems to be more sensitive to east, west motion in pin pointing than they are in the north and south movement. Sense the coil is round, it should have the same response to a target, regardless of what direction approached from. Maybe it's the metal screw that causes the problem. How can the metal screw that attaches the coil to the lower shaft not have any interference in the transmit or receive signal? I have noticed that a couple detector companies are using a larger nylon screw and nut for this application and that leads me to believe there must be something to my observation. Any comments or info?

I think you'll find that your coil screw is indeed nylon on your unit. Otherwise it would be sounding off constantly as the coil sends out a signal up as well as down. The east west motion in pinpointing is done quicker as it's a more natural movement than north to south, so you are getting a better signal. I'm not an engineer by any means, but this might explain things. Ron

Ron, maybe I have some fluke machines but all of my whites have metal screws that hold the coil on the lower shaft. The caps are plastic but the screw is definitely metal. The nut cap even has a brass insert in it as do my other machines. Do you have a 6000 Pro with a nylon screw?

I don't have the XL Pro (yet) but I'm on my forth White's machine and they all had a nylon bolt with 2 rubber washers and a nylon nut to hold the coil to the lower shaft. Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing(?) I didn't think anything was metal from the second piece of shaft down to the coil, the last lower rod (where the coil connects) is fiber so it doesn't give a signal. Ron

Ron, I don't know about the newer machines, maybe they have changed this screw setup sense the 6000 di pro sl. I noticed that a new coil that I bought has much bigger holes in the mounting yoke than the older coil of the same model. We are speaking of the same thing, but I think there have been some changes made in the newer models possibly. If that's the case, maybe they did acknowledge a problem with a metal screw. I think I will call white's on the issue and see what I can find out.

specific kind stainless steel and the location in relationship to the windings is also a factor... In all actuality, I don't think the coil "sees" the bolt...Maybe someone else could jump in and be more specific...Best to all, RichardnTn

because it moves with the coil. I have owned metal detectors in the past that had a metal screw and nut attaching the coil to the rod and never had a problem. I hear tell that some of the earlier White's 6000 models used the metal screw and nut. Kelley (Texas) :)

You can pick up nylon bolts up cheap at home depot.put one one your detector and pay attention to the readings.If they change you solved a problem.

Older Whites detectors used stainless steel and brass screws such as the eagle sl 90 .The instructions state use stainless steel screw to attach coil to isolater rod.
J.Reed