Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Scrap Drawer

Arkie John

As I was on the mountain enjoying the solitude that only a great God could make, my mind wandered back to my early childhood as I leaned back in my folding chair. The time machine was engaged and I was rolling back. For some reason, the machine stopped at about 1960. As I drifted in and out of a semi-sleep, not caring whether game came by or not, I relaxed and let the memories advance, front and center.

I remember my Mother always doing for us, and Daddy too, for that matter. This story is mainly about Mother and about one of those related blessings. So hang in there and go along with me, eh?

As most of you regulars know, our Daddy was a carpenter and therefore we never benefited from a 'regular' income. If it rained two days out of five then, Daddy got a three-day check, thus tighten-belt time for all. It was a way of life, growing up in Saline County. Toward the beginning of winter Daddy and mother would have a little saved back to get them through the lean times so common with the season. Then about March, the work would begin to pick up and we could breath easily, once again.

Now, during these times of leanness, we did what we could to make do. Tommy was 4, Linda was 8 and I was 12. We each had our own way of making things just the way we wanted. But there was one thing that Mother had that fascinated us all. It was the SCRAP DRAWER!

You see, Mother was a 24 K seamstress and before she became a nurse, she sewed all the time. Daddy bought her a new Necci cabinet machine and did she ever use it. Why, she always sewed us kids' clothes until we got big enough to snub our noses up at the McCall Pattern-looking shirts and pants. She wore out that Necci and Daddy bought her a new top of the line Singer with a handsome cabinet.

Nevertheless, I guess as Momma said, I got the "big ass" about those precious items she made for me and so, I got to do without them from the 7th grade on. I never realized the significance nor did I think of the importance of each hand made item. No matter, I reckon. She soon embarked on a career as a nurse that wouldn't allow her to sew as much as she wanted anyway. She never abandoned her sewing, but just couldn't do it as much. I don't recall her ever sewing after her series of strokes in the '80's though. Linda would know for sure. Well, back to the story.

As with all seamstresses, there were always leftovers of material. Momma never threw them away, it seemed. I never remember her making a quilt or anything like it but she always had the bottom drawer of that sewing machine cabinet just stuffed FULL of material remnants from all the shirts, pants, shorts and dresses that she systematically made up for us urchins.

Once she took a look at some store-bought Barbie clothes and went to work. That Barbie of Linda's looked like Cinderella before she got through that day and her little girl just beamed. She used the scrap drawer's contents to make all of them. Bless her soul, she could sew!

Well on those cold winter days, Linda, Tom and I would go meddlin' in her scrap drawer and the next thing you know, we had us a mess all over the room. We got the sissors and the pinkin' shears out and made our own doll clothes for Linda's dolls and the like. We also used the scraps to make layouts of forts and this and that, employing the wild and wondrous imaginations of youth and a bunch of plastic soldiers. A big quilt employed smartly makes good rolling terrain,fit for any respectable invading army, you know. We were just lost in all of it, having the greatest times.

Before we knew it, it was nearing supper time and time for Daddy to come home from work. So out came the call to clean the place up and get ready to eat. It just HAD to be done before Daddy came home, or else.

So we scurried around and put up the goodies, cramming all the scraps back into that scrap drawer and folding the quilts as best we could (certainly not to Mother's standard but the best we could)...readying the scrap drawer for another time of adventure.

Linda has the old sewing machine now and it sets in her home as stately as the day it was delivered to Mother. It is a beautiful piece of furniture, but the real beauty of it is in the memories of what Louise Gould Garrett produced with it over all those years. She would teach anyone to sew that would listen to her patient instruction, including yours truly.

Oh! For the days of our youth! But today is beautiful in it's own way. The sun, beaming the God-beams through the bare-leaved oaks, along with the nippish pre-evening whisps blowing over the high saddle on Bear Den Mountain; it all signaled to me that it was time for the descent.

I packed up and with a certain reluctance I cannot explain, I proceeded down the well-worn deer trail to the old van less than a half-mile down the mountain.

Momma loved us so and provided like we never knew, back then.

The next time I'm over at Linda's, I'm gonna have myself a look...in that scrap drawer.

Thanks for comin' along. <><

Arkie John

I used to get in there just to meddle around. I was never ever looking for anything, but I do seem to remember those "weird looking" scissors. By the way, brother, I borrowed mom's SINGER from Linda to try to make a couple of new costumes for the upcoming "Witness" season. It can't be too hard---right?

It is amazing what kind of thoughts one conjures up on the top of Bear Den. I have re-lived a lot of my life up there and I just thank God for having blessed us with it and for making it so close.

I also remember a cowboy shirt that mama made for me when I was just a youngster. I loved that shirt! Thanks for the memory Johnboy.

ILY,

Lil Brother:)

Wonderful story Arkie. I do not have many memories of my mother since she died when I was quite young. However, the ones that I do have are more of the 'lets go and pick blueberries' or 'help with the preserves' type. Man, could my mother make jams and preserve food.

My father was an insurance salesman and, like your family, we too had our lean times.

Many thanks friend. :)

Calm seas, fair winds

M

Do you remember what she had in the drawer that was in the chair itself????

Lots and lots of thread and loaded up bobbins, sissors, seam rippers and the like.

Yup, that was surely a special time. We didn't realize how much love went into each sewn garment. You are about to find that out yourself with the Witness costume!

Love ya much,

Johnboy

It is so funny how, the very time you think you have no more to write, that something just begins to flow out of you. Why I never thought of it before is beyond me.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story, buddy. So when's the last time YOU (not Alice) made jelly and canned foods? Might do you soul some good to research it and go to town with it, "eh?"

It rained all night here. God's blessings abound. <><

aj

Oddly enough, I do enjoy doing that. And I also enjoy preserving foods. Any time that you have the larder full, a freezer stocked..... well that makes things go just that much easier. :)

Fair winds, clear water

M

Not only does doin' up your own stuff give you a sense of accomplishment, it also keeps you in touch with where you came from...and that is a significantly more important bi-product of a full freezer and pantry!

I should have known. :D <><

aj

and tho there were 198 new posts, your story about the "scrap drawer" was at the top. Even tho it made my heart ache a little more than usual, it felt wonderful to hear you reminiscing about our childhood days with our parents.

Mother eventually gave me the Singer sewing machine, and still had the old Necchi. After I tried to sew, and failed miserably at it other than the basics, I said "Mother, take the Singer back and use it. I am not a seamstress". So she took the Singer back, and gave me the Necchi. As a matter of fact, the cabinet that her Necchi goes in is the very one holding my computer at this very moment. I stripped it, stained it, and had a glass made for the top. The only time she ever sewed after her strokes other than a hem or straight stitch, was when one year when I was going to have a booth at a country craft fair. I had my little sculpted bears and bunnies, and since it was close to Christmas, I came up with the idea for her to make Country Christmas Stockings.

I took her to the fabric store, and she bought this and that, and made stockings that were about fifteen inches long, trimmed in lace and ribbon, and they really were nice. I told her I would display them in my booth, since most of my sculptures were Christmas related. I think we sold them for $5 to $7 each, and she did sell quite a few. That really tickled me for her! It was a limitation she thought she had, but instead found out that she could still do.

Granted, after that year, she did not sew much at all. As a matter of fact, nothing more than maybe a hem. She just could not see that well, and patterns became hard for her.

Still, I bet both sewing machines have many miles on them had they been equipted with an odometer. She used to make clothes for all of us, but particularly dresses and blouses for the two of us. Of course they were matching, her in her new Easter dress and me in my mini-version of hers. That was very in style back then.

These memories, and childhood visions is sometimes what keeps my heart healthy. My biggest fear is getting to where I will forget. If that ever happens, promise............just shoot me!

Thank you, JohnBoy! ILY

good. Aren't you glad you paid attention when she was teaching you? Everytime you make a batch of jam or preserves, she smiles. Of course, you know that!

They make me smile too! I love that raspberry jam. I ate both jars in about a two month span. Some how, Ms. Smucker's store bought just doesn't measure up! It's all Royal's fault that I cannot remember how to do it, because he kept interrupting us when I was getting "jam lessons" from you and Alice, remember?? :)

am witness to the fact that he makes jam often! It was very rare to find a store bought can ever at Mike and Alice's house. They do everything, even grind their own herbs!! :) I was much impressed!

second grade photo, didn't you? It was one that daddy kept in his metal boxes! I still have it somewhere. :)

I remember my mother at her sewing machine too. Most women learned to sew in their day, as most had to.

My mother gave me a baby quilt that she mad for me when when she was carrying me. It is in good shape but I have to figure how to preserve it. I just have it in a dresser drawer.

You sure have some great thoughts in the woods, John :D

...the story was written more for you than anyone else on the forum.
Thanks for joggin' my ole' memory even more with the mention of matching easter dresses and the like. Even the old autograph book came back to me. I had not thought of that thing in years.

Momma sewed a lot of love during our growin' up years. Like Tom Hanks said in "Saving Private Ryan," "Earn it." I think we're gettin' there. :)

Love you,

Johnboy

n/t

Oh to have back for just a few moments of those times.......But as you mentioned,today this moment in the here and now will someday be someones yesteryear memories.It is up to each of us to appreciate and be humbled for the bountiful blessing bestowed upon us in the past and present.Wonderful memories are a blessing in themselves.

Thank you for blessing me today with this most wonderful story.