Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Power of Stories or Why It's a Good Idea to Write These Things Down

bdahunter

My wife was back in Canada on business a few weeks ago and made arrangements to meet my two nieces for dinner after the meetings were finished. That's how I found out that one of my nieces was going through a divorce. Melanie is a sweet woman, 32 years old and has been married to her husband since they graduated from high school. Her husband is a nice guy but they realized quite a while ago that they married each other to get away from their respective homelives, both having grown up in strict religious households. They both decided to stop living a lie a few years ago and are now formally going their separate ways while they're still young enough to start over.
It's tough to start over and Melanie needed a break so we invited her down for a week in Bermuda, sent her a plane ticket and she spent the past week staying with us, a Wonderful Time. I've moved around a lot over the past few decades and family, especially extended family relationships tend to suffer as a result. It was good to have a week to catch up on the life of my niece and for her to catch up with her uncle. This is where the story part comes into play.
Melanie's parents censored and sanitized her family history because of their religious beliefs which left some rather large holes in Melanie's personal history. What her ancestors were like, her own background and a lot of just plain old family stuff. It wasn't long after Melanie arrived in Bermuda before I started getting bombarded with questions about our family history. Fortunately, I had copies of some of the stories I have written for this forum and some of them relate to my family history. I printed off copies and gave them to Melanie to read and this really helped. It helped to fill in a lot of the blanks that were left out of her life by the censorship of her religious parents, nothing terrible or anything like that but just stuff that you would espect everyone to know about themselves and their family. The fact that the stories were written down long before the questions were asked of me gave the information in the stories more weight as well.
I think now of some of the stories my Mom and Dad have told me about their parents and grandparents and it makes me think that I would be wise to capture these stories before they are lost to the grave or censored out of existence.

Keep Writing All,

You've expressed my point for writing the stories, of my life and memories of tales I've heard, exactly!! How else will my Grands know after I'm gone? Someone else enjoying the stories is an added bonus!

Regards,

Cupajo

The stories that Melanie got to read were mostly funny because I don't often write about sad things. Sad things shouldn't be forgotten though, nor whould the lessons that come from those sad times. I'll have to see about writing a few of the tougher tales down, it's not easy though as I'm an optimist by nature.

I always enjoy your stories Cupajo,

The unfortunate thing about sad storys is that they are tthe ones that usually have the biggest impact on us, thus are the ones most easily remembered!

They seem to be our greatest teachers for that reason!

Regards,

Cupajo

At least that is what i tell myself. It is now that i realize just how much I wish that my father had put to pen some of his stories... not necessarily;y of the war, although that would fit in well too, but of his life. I feel that i could understand him, and me, better with that information.

Fair winds

mikie

I found a treasure trove of old family photos--tin types and the duerrotypes (ms) from the 1850's. Luckily, I had seen copies of these photos down through the ages and assumed the original to be long lost to the times.

I was just elated to find these photos. They were of my Great great grandfather and grandmother--on their wedding day! Can you imagine the thrill. A distant relative called me because I had interviewed her a year or so earlier. She stated, I have some old family photos and if you can identify them, you can have them. Otherwise, I'm throwing them out. When I identified them as her great great great grandparents, she could not care less and gave them to me promptly!

As great as those photos were, I have often had a thought that if I ever came across an old diary of their days, what a real treasure that would be, with him being in the Mexican War and the Civil War and all. But, if he ever wrote his stories down, they are surely lost to the ages.

I do my part to make sure that the stories I KNOW will live a little longer. I put together a loose leaf book of stories about four years ago, made eight or ten copies and distributed them at Christmas. Since then, I have a written enough to do an second book. I hope to organize them all and print them out one day.

I always thought I'd have the time when I retired, but Eric, I tell you what; I fish and hunt too much I reckon to do anything toward that project right now. But the stories are written and stored. One day in the not-to-distant-future, should I live so long, I will be printing up another volume!

Concerning the photos: If you have old family photos that are not identified on the back, for goodness' sake identify them for the next generation. It is a labor of love for your family and they will appreciate it one day.

Thanks for your story. I wish your niece the very best.

Take care of yourself. I have my Excal II charged and at the ready, just waiting for warm water. RIght now the water is at a frigid 44 degrees...much too cold for me right now.

aj

Hi A.J.,

If you were to scan the pages into your computer, you could then cut a CD for anyone you might want to have a copy.

Printing copies would be simplified too.

Best Regards Friend,

Cupajo

writing the story I have to think back in far greater detail than I normally would. Instead of just saying, "Yeah, I went fishing on Otter Lake" in rethinking it I try to picture the day, what was the weather like. What time of year was it. Who was with me? What was it we were fishing for? Bass? Gills? Carp etc.

It brings back memories that I had forgotten about.

What a treasure you found in those old photos, John. I'll have to mention this to my Mom as she has all of the older family photos and I remember that a lot of them have nothing on the back or perhaps just a date. It is assumed that the viewer will know who is in the photos but half the time I don't so I can only imagine what the next generation will think - just a bunch of images without meaning.

Thanks Mate and wait till the water hits 65 F before going for a dip. (you can always work the wet sand in the mean time):thumbup: