Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The poor boy and the Lincoln :yikes:

Wayne in BC

On a warm and nearly wasted spring day in 1964, my brother Ken announced that he may have found a car of his dreams and that we should go have a look. Well, after barely living through his last performance with a car he just had to have, i just kinda rolled my eyes and said that i figured i could not afford for him to have wheels!

Our sister Sandy however was instantly excited, she being about about 14 at the time, it sounded like an adventure worth having. Ken went on to tell me that this was a "LINCOLN"! I of course said.....awww BS! No said Kenny, a guy told me that an old farmer down by the river has had it stored for years, he can't drive anymore and may sell it cheap!

I was kinda tired of chauffeuring him around and reluctantly agreed to go take a look. We piled into my 57' Monarch (Canadian "Merc") and twin hollywoods blaring, headed out of town.

20 minutes of driving and another 1/2 hour of "wrong farms" we finally pulled into a farm yard that looked like the aftermath of a Tornado! I was all for just going home but Kenny was always as bold as a midnight Coon and insisted on knocking at the door of the awful looking place so i sat in the car as he and Sis marched up to the door.

The elderly guy (older than Royal:D) that answered the door seemed decent enough and i saw them in a laughing conversation. Kenny was a charmer and could "Yes Sir!" and "Yes Ma-am!" with the best of them. I got out of the car, now that the ice was broken it appeared, and joined them as the old boy got his cane and led us slowly towards an old shed at the back of the yard.

When the shed door was pried open chickens went squawking in all directions and our Sister had a moments panic but soon settled down, she was well up for the adventure and a few feathers and some dust in her hair was not going to cool her interest! It was hard to see that it was an automobile in front of us, you had to really want to see a Lincoln to get past several years of chicken crap, dust, straw, and poor light:blink:

My reaction was a stifled groan as i tried not to laugh! Kenny and Sandy however, marched right up to that pile of UGH, all agog, and began opening a door. The windows had been up except for one, urghh (power windows, dead battery unfortunately) and as my eyes adjusted i saw White Leather, a bunch of chicken turds, but White leather! The interior was terrific! A glance under the speedo and the mileage read 32,000! The tires were all bald but full of air, amazingly. Meanwhile Kenny was looking around the body and whispered to me......no dents, no rust, nothing!

The old French guy was explaining how he knew it was pretty bad but maybe it could be made to run, and he pointed to his workshop saying there was gas and a charged battery for his tractor there if we wanted to try it and off we went. 10 minutes of hooking up battery, checking oil and pouring gas into the carb had the old beauty ticking over, running surprisingly smooth and quiet! As it sat there idling the guy told Kenny he wanted a hundred dollars for the car! I could not believe Kenny's luck, then he offered the guy 50 bucks and if i had been closer i would have put my elbow right through his ribs, or maybe kicked him down low, in the "brains" :rolleyes:

Great, now Kenny is gonna tick the guy off and queer the deal, and i was planning on coming back and giving him full price, i wanted it worse than Kenny did! To my shock the old boy caved in and accepted the 50 dollar offer, then Kenny said.....well i got 25 bucks, can i take the car and give you the rest in a couple weeks? You see i need it to get to my job. The pleading hangdog look on his face did the job and the old boy said , ya ok, we will do that, and 5 minutes later, after rubbing enough chicken crap off the windows, the registration in his pocket and with Sandy in the catbird seat they thundered out of the yard, no license plate on it, and headed for home with me bringing up the rear and watching the straw and chicken turds falling off as they flew home:shrug:

continued:D

What model Lincoln was it? This is kinda exciting, I always like to hear about folks that find an old car in a barn, especially if it is a classic. Looking forward to the next part of the story! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

PS: Great to see you posting again! :)

An Asian fellow in the city seeks out another Asian fellow when he needs his eyes examined.
He sits in the chair, the other fellow is looking at his eyes and says....
Ahhh, i see you have cataract.
No says the guy....
I have rincon!

for sure but i am struggling to get all details correct, that was over 40 years ago and some things i remember real well others are tougher:D The age will come in the next installment :)
Glad to be back, my connection has stayed on for a couple hours now, but they warned us that there would be probs for a while yet.
Wayne

Looking good Wayne. I am anticipating the second part with gusto.. :)

all the best

M

When I think of story's like this it reminds me of a guy I once knew from Kingston NC. I was in the service and met him and his wife as a Square dance.

Well anyway, this guy worked at a Cadillac dealership. He showed me an old Caddy in a back shed, in the same condition as your Lincoln that his boss was planing to redo some day. IT was huge. If I remember right it was a 16 cylinder. I often wonder if it was ever restored.

Another thing that it reminds me of is a lost opportunity I had. In about 196o I was working in Racine Wis. I needed a car and heard of a Packard at a garage. It was a beauty! A 1936! I remember it had its spare tire on the right front fender, under a metal cover that looked like a tire. The motor was new, the guy that was selling the thing had found it still in a case in Detroit and it ran like a top. The guy wanted 700 bucks for it and it was far more than I could afford. I think about what that thing would be worth now and it makes me sick.

I also came across a Caddy Limo that I could have gotten for 5oo but it was very old too and I needed transportation. I can not remember much about it but I do remember it had a foot rest that came out of the floor for the rear Seat pas singers and also had a bud vase on the door pillar one each side of the rear compartment. I thought those were near

Mike, you can bite me :spin:

there's a 62' Ford pickup in the barn nextdoor to me, in a similar state. The barn floor is so rotten, you can't move it.

Dave