Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The poor boy and the Lincoln (part 2) .........

Wayne in BC

As we got into the small town we lived in, and onto the pavement, i could see the power windows going up and down as the the two kids played with them and waved their arms. I was some grumpy cause i figured he got too good a deal, him having the jam to keep chiseling the price down. That car was worth 10 times what he paid!

Mom and Dad were home when we got there, having been out when we left. Dad also was excited after a quick look at the car, he had always been a Lincoln fan but never could afford even an old one and Mom always insisted on a practical "family" car. Mom reserved judgement due to the "fertilizer" still falling off in the driveway:lol: and insisted that he move it out to the street to wash it!

Armed with brooms, brushes, vacuum, rags and a hose we set immediately to giving the 53 Lincoln Capri a makeover! I believe my sister worked the hardest, scrubbing the interior and telling Mom that she would do the laundry after it was pointed out that the back of her slacks had "chicken tracks" on them:D the two of them had just rubbed the most obvious pieces of the crud onto the floor in their hurry to get away.

That old car had no dents, scratches etc, and in those days they did not rust cause they were made of real metal and had real paint rather than a hint of it! The leather interior cleaned up wonderfully, i could hardly believe that there were only a few tiny stains. Good old Pinesol masked the moldy barn smell, soon to be replaced with several hanging air fresheners. A two door hardtop was the "in thing" in those days. If i remember correctly it also had, as Ken gleefully pointed out to me, a "5 speed automatic" transmission which i had not seen before. I think it went, drive 1,2,3, then low 1,2. He reckoned that made it much more powerful, and Dad had pointed out that the engine was a big sucker, i cannot remember the displacement but Kenny was in teenage car heaven!

About three hours later it was clean and polished, looking wonderful and Kenny and Sandy were up to for a drive and some bragging at the local hangout but Me, Mom and Dad all said that he was going nowhere without a license plate and insurance and he was wanting to take the plates off my car (you could do that legit in those days). Me, (three years older) and Dad both said, your going nowhere til you change the oil, do a mechanical check, and get some tires! We reckoned he was lucky just to get it home! The old girl fooled us tho, after an oil change and quick mechanical check, we found her to be premium. Everything worked, the power windows, the fancy radio, etc. She was a beauty!

He drove that car several years, always hard and fast, and i do not remember him ever having any mechanical problems. The only downside to that car was that it increased his social status to much, and got him married to his "first wife" :rofl:

One of these days i will tell you about his previous car, and how glad i was to live through it....the goof!:D

Everybody have a fine day :)
Wayne

Your story brings back some good memories, only difference was the fact that we were more interested in pickup trucks than cars. What was your first car or pickup? Wayne, thanks for posting this story, it was a good one...very enjoyable reading. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

i thought you were talking about abe:D,can't remember,did the 53 have the cone shaped deal in the center of the grill,i think 51's were that way.

those were the days. Driving an old car was a thing to not be ashamed of. I have a buddy that bought his daughter a car for her 16th birthday and she would not drive it because it was a four door. That little lovely would have walked until she bought her own, if it was me.

I remember my buddy Larry Scott-well ex buddy anyway- and his first car. It was a 48 merc convertible and a piece of junk but it was heaven for us. We could not drive it on the highway but his dad would let us drive it around the neighborhood a little.

The only thing on it that was worth a crap was the top and it was new. One day we were driving around the neighborhood when Larry decided to take it on the highway. Man his old man would be pissed but he could not resist.

We were going down the highway about 45 mph and he saw some girls a coming down the sidewalk. Before I knew what he was doing he reached for the top lever and gave it a pull. Guess he wanted to look like a hotshot with his convertible top down.

It took about 10 seconds and the convertible top was the worst part of his car. The dang idiot. Tore that bad boy right out and over the trunk. The girls laughed and did not think he was cool and his old man kicked his arse and grounded the car.

He was an idiot. He was best man at my wedding and I was the same at his. I have not seen him in about 40 years now and just might kick his ass again if I ever see him but that is another story:spin:

it is better than...let's say roller skates. :rofl: :rofl: Sorry! I will try to control myself a little better. Were you allowed to drive the Morris Minor on a public road? Did you put a dark tint on the windows so that no one could see inside? What color was it? I bet it would have looked great with flames painted on the hood, dice hanging from the rear view mirror, and mud flaps! Wayne, thanks for sharing this with the Forum, it was much appreciated and I must admit that I enjoyed hearing about it! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PS: Have you got any pictures of the Morris Minor that you would like to post?

it was a darned convertible and the window frames did not go down. Generally speaking it was awful poor for my social life, but a couple girls thought it was cute.
Stupid little car was hard on the "prayer bones" too ;)
Six months later i got a 55 chevy, then came the dice and the blue "sexlights" in the corners of the windows and red ones under the dash:clapping:

A 1955 Chevy was very popular down here in South Texas. Now days they are in much demand and they are expensive to buy if you are lucky enough to find one that is for sale. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

heading out the door...and I could of swore that I replied to you about it...oh well. Worked my tail off today still building our new church, but while there I thought about that story and was hoping I'd see part 2 when I got back home...Thanks a bunch. Kieth-Tx

I have heard these sorts of tales [you know...husband divorces wife, asks her to sell everything and send him the money. So out of spite, she sells an 'old chevrolet' for $50.00 and it turns out to be his prize 'vette] Never heard of anyone who got such a great deal though.

All the best

M

a year older than that Lincoln, Do I need a rebuild ? :rofl: Betcha wish you could find a buy like that today!

Dave

what i like most about them is that i could fix that car with a pair of pliers, a crescent wrench, and some haywire. No darn computers! They also gave good mileage.
Have a great night friend
Wayne

there were some things i could not tell in that story:D
Nice to know your progressing well with the Church.
Wayne

n/t