Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Outhouse and the DUNNY MEN

AuzeeSheila

Hi all, it's me again!

Growing up in Brisbane in the fifties we only had outhouses, which were commonly known then, by all and sundry, as 'dunnies.' I haven't got a clue how that name evolved but it was probably something uniquely Australian. Even though most of Australia (cities and larger towns) has been sewered since the 60's, they are still known as, 'the dunny.' Aussie dunnies consisted of the usual wooden box seat with a hole in the top and a lid to keep the flies out. Inside the box was a 'can' which was removed once a week by men who worked on the 'dunny cart.' As children, we were often warned that, if we didn't study hard, we would grow up to be DUNNY MEN.

Now, in Melbourne, where we lived until '56, the door under the seat, that the dunny men changed the 'can' through, was inside the outhouse in front of the seat. Between the legs, so to speak. It was not unusual for someone 'caught short' to be sitting on the 'throne,' when the out-house door would be shoved open and a tussle would develop between the sittee and the dunny-man. There was also nothing more off-putting to getting the 'job' done, than knowing some strange man was outside waiting for one to finish, very aware that he would see ones face and know who was responsible for the last 'job'.

The dunny men always started their day, particularly in summer, before dawn, in hopes of tricking the flies which followed them all day long. So it became quite tricky trying to make natures call when one could hear the dunny cart stopping and starting in the next street. To keep the malodorous smell at bay, the council supplied a bottle of Phenyl to pour into the can, as and when needed.

When we came to Queensland, it was a nice surprise to find that the can door was in the back wall of the outhouse. One could sit in peace and even have the can changed under you, 'while you waited.' The dunny man would also leave a measure of sawdust, kept in a box beside the seat, to be sprinkled over jobs by scoop or whatever method the householder devised.

There were also the dreaded 'Redbacks' to be feared. Although I never saw one, my family lived in fear of finding a Redback spider (aka Black Widow) in, on, or under the seat of the dunny, or in the sawdust box. "One bite from this spider and you're dead," we were warned by our neighbours. This syndrome was made more fearsome when a favourite country singer had a hit song about, 'The Redback On The Toilet Seat.' Most kids I knew, after checking the seat was clear, would climb up onto the seat and squat over the hole, not game to hang any parts into the hole.

It was no wonder that most of the kids we knew would not go out to the dunny after dark. No-one had torches back then and a candle just didn't quite scare the dark away. It wasn't unusual to look out the window when all the lights were out to see the kid next door 'hanging out' around the bushes, before racing back inside.

I have since figured that, taking into consideration there were 4-8 children on average per household, once the flushing toilets were installed inside each house, the nightmare factor of each household would have been reduced by about 90%

Sheila.

That tale's a far cry from today's bathroom / reading room / quiet time chair that we've all come to enjoy..........well.......me anyway ! :lol: Love your stories !........so glad you've joined us. :)

And reminds me of a old song I have not heard in several years...:lol:

They passed a ordinance in the town
That we would have to tear it down
That little brown shack out back so dear to me
Although the health department said it's days were over....and dead
It will stand forever in my memory

It was not so long ago that I went tripping through the snow
To that little shack behind my old hound dog
Where I would settle down to rest....like a snowbird on his nest
And read the Sears and Roebuck catalog....

Thanks for the laugh Sheila!:lol::lol:

considered "out in the country". We had an outhouse until I was in the 6th grade. However we did not have the convenience of anyone coming to empty ours,........it was just a deep hole in the ground, and our daddy made the most comfortable seat he could for us. Still, my mother spent many a night taking me out there with a flashlight. I WAS a pretty scarey place! Thanks for the memories,............even with an outhouse........it was a great time in my life that I would go back to in a heart beat! :)

I'd go back for a lot of things Sunny, but that wouldn't be one of them! My two brothers wouldn't go out there after dark under threat of death.
I wasn't sure what system was used by other countries, so I probably went into more detail than necessary, but it was how things were done here in the 'good old days.'

When we went into the city there were those old chain-pull cisterns which also scared the pants off me. I would gingerly reach up for the chain - and turn simultaneously turn towards the door. As soon as the chain was pulled, I was out that door like a streak of blue lightning. If I hadn't already 'been' I would have wet myself in fright. I've never figured out why they terrified me so much.

I watched one of my boys do much the same thing once in a hospital; there was a large lever in the wall and, because he was behind the bowl, when he pushed the lever, the water flushed behind him. I'd never seen anyone run so fast on the spot like that before.

Sheila

Ours was also just over a deep hole and it was nasty. It seems that your way would have been better but I never heard of a Dunny man and don't figure I would want to be one.

I remember setting on one in the summer and a little breeze would come up and tickle the hairs on my butt. I was sure it was a spider come a visiting and that made it hard to relax. Relaxing always seemed to be necessary.

Yours was an interesting post. Your way had to be better

I dunno Royal, the funny thing about progress is it's going backwards over here. They are putting in 'Enviro' toilets in parks etc., which are just a big hole in the ground with some sort of fans in strategic places. In winter they really chill your 'down-unders'.
Wouldn't a hole in the ground get nasty if it rained a lot?
Yes Royal, being the Dunny man was the 'pits' of jobs, even lower than the 'garbo,' (garbage man), but it was honest work, I guess.
Sheila.

it was a long time ago but occasionally they were moved a bit. The earth in our area is all sand and they would last a while.

I understand that the ones in the cities were up to 30 ft deep and can still be found on old insurance maps. The exact location can be seen and many bottle hunters dig them up. Lots of goodies found it them.

One problem we had was rats. Try to do your chore with a dang rat a scurring around down there. My parents would use rat poison and lime but if the neighbors ignored theirs they would come back to ours. I remember my dad finally pulling the car over there and running the exhaust down tunnels and that would get them for a while.

The worse for me was the fact that at night we used a pot in the house and I had to empty it in the morning. Nasty stuff that is.

Holloween night they were usually tipped over by kids. I have told the story about my dad setting it back up after the kids had done it one dark holloween night but NEXT to the hole. A little later we watched from the basement window, we lived in a basement house as a kid, as they ran to it to flip it again. Oops!:surprised: They sure learned a lesson that night. That is some nasty stuff! They went in waste deep

Especially on a cold winters night or morning.... I still get shivers thinking about it!! :)

fair winds

Mikie

I grew up with indoor plumbing, but we had a cabin along the backwaters of the Mississippi where the family spent the weekends fishing and hunting. I loved the hunting and fishing part but visiting the "one holer" part, I hated.

That story sure brought back some memories.........

Thanks for the story Shelia.