Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The old double barrel shotgun found in the old cabin.......................

Kelley (Texas)

Arkie John had posted a story the other day about the old house with all the licence plates. I had posted a reply and told him about the old shotgun that I had found.

Re: "When I was a young boy, while hunting I found an old log cabin type house way back in the brush. It was kinda spooky and I did not stay there very long. However, for weeks I thought about that old cabin and finally went back for a second look. In the beams of the roof, I found an old rusted double barrel shotgun that was missing the hammers. I still have it out in the garage. Just the other day I saw the barrel and stock, but I don't know where I put the trigger guard and butt plate...I still have them, but I just do not know what box they are packed in. If anyone would be interested, I will be happy to post a picture. As a matter of fact, maybe this would be a basis of a story."

I had been squirrel hunting down on old man Willis's place and had decided to take a short cut home across an area that I was not familar with when I spotted the old log cabin home. I remember that the logs were square, not round like you see in the movies. It was weather beaten, but not in real bad condition. I did not mess around there very long because of the high weeds and brush...it appeared to be the perfect home for a few snakes and scorpions.

For weeks something kept pulling at me to go back to that cabin and explore the area. Finally, one afternoon after I had completed all my chores, I made a visit back to the cabin. I must admit that I did carry a stick for fear of finding a snake sleeping in the old cabin. I entered the cabin and was surprised to see a table and some dishes still there. The place had a strong musky smell and there were spider webs everywhere. The place was really spooky and I felt very uncomfortable. I spent a few minutes looking around when I spotted the old double barrel shotgun in the beams of where the roof met the wall over the only small window in the cabin. It was rusty and missing the hammers, but what the heck, I took it and headed back home with it over my shoulder. Over all these years, I kept it, but came close to discarding it several times. I may decide to try to restore it one of these days, but I have no idea where to get the correct old hammers for it...probably best to put it back together and hang it on the wall just the way it is now. Below are a few pictures of the old shotgun. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 46836 gun_1.jpg]

[attachment 46837 gun_2.jpg]

[attachment 46838 gun_3.jpg]

[attachment 46839 gun_4.jpg]

good job on the contrast for the pics and thanks for posting them. I am always interested in old firearms.

I love old rifles and shotguns and the story of that one is wonderful. We are lucky these days to have the internet. With not too much work, I bet yo could find that set of hammers for it.

Even if you cannot find those hammers, it still makes a great relic and wallhanger.

sunny skies

M

is the old cabin still there? It seems that it would be a great place to swing a detector. :D Maybe you could find the hammers.

I remember driving through the Dakotas and Wyo and out in a great pasture or farm field, far from the road, there would be an old farm house. There would never be a drive, it was all empty now but It would make me wonder who built it. That was someones dream at some far off time and now it is just a shell. What happened to the people that built it? SO many questions that will never be answereed.

Thanks for the story and pictures Fred.:thumbup:

KELLY,WHAT TIME OF THE YEAR,DO THEM NICE FELLOWS COME AROUND AND WHAT KIND OF SNAKES,WOULD BE AROUND THE LOG CABIN? WOULD THE SCORPIONS BE IN THE CABIN OR OUT.THANKS. AL

that it is a black powder shotgun, and has a ram rod for loading from the front of the barrel. If I had to guess, maybe between 1875 to 1935...just a wild guess at that. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I love those old guns and have spent many hours restoring/repairing them over the years. It is something I have always been interested in and enjoyed doing.That one looks like it dates back well into the 1800s.The one piece stock/forearm is a bit unusual and might help in identifying the maker of it if you can't find a name on it.I have found many parts for antique guns on ebay over the years and made several other parts that I couldn't find..I have a couple of pairs of locks for old hammerless doubles-but nothing for hammer guns-if I did you would be welcome to them.Even if you never restore it-that is a neat old relic made better by the story behind it.Thanks for a very interesting post!

Being it is South Texas, they could be rattlesnakes. Even if the snakes living around the cabin were not rattlesnakes, they would still be big with big mouths full of teeth...they could really do you some bodily harm. Scorpions could live both in and outside the old cabin...they are nasty, mean tempered little animal bugs. It is not unusual to see a snake on a regular basis all the way through October because of the mild winters down in South Texas. I have seen rattlesnakes sunning themselves out on a big flat rock on a warm sunny day in February. I really do not like snakes, especially big snakes, and I just avoid them as much as possible...if you mess with one, you are going to get bit. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

...would be those old hand-hewn beams. Imagine. That wood is probably 70-100 years old. It would make the FINEST wood projects if five counties.

Thanks for sharing! <><

aj

at the age you were to find something like that.looks like there's a little weld plate joining the barrels,or what ever they used then.to bad the stocks split some.:)

It appears to be walnut wood and is very heavy, but has a beautiful grain to it. I wish that the photos had shown more detail than they did, but photography has never been my cup of tea. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

making those logs square? That seems like an excess amount of work and I do not see the benefit of doing all that extra work. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

There is more contact surface between the logs themselves. Also, it seems to me that interlocking square logs, at the corners, would be a whole bunch stronger than round logs.

And finally, round logs must be "chinked" every so often with mortor or (back then) mud.

I have my grandfather's adz--a tool made especially for squaring logs. If you have a strong back, the adz can make a tough job, not nearly so tough, as long as you keep a good edge on it.

aj

n/t