Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Nox 600 Stock Mode-No Changes

RLOH

I got a stretch of decent winter weather here in northeast Ohio and have been adjusting to the 600. I made the mistake of running the 600 too hot for the first couple of hunts. Today, I ran park one with all stock adjustments and dropped the sensitivity to 18. I believe the hot adjustments caused too much ground noise and made the signals scratchy. Almost all of the deeper signals were not clear at all, but with no changes to the stock park one, the signals were clear, clean, and concise. The place I hunted today is littered with all kinds of trash and the 600 was like a different detector. I was amazed to hear three or four 14 to 16 signals with every sweep. My first lock on coin signal was a 12- 13 and four bars deep. From seven inches a Buffalo nickel. I found a handful of clad at various depths in the next half hour. Finally a deep 24-26 that had a slight iron buzz when I checked it in all metal. The signal in disc was clean and I had a feeling I had a coin next to iron. First piece I found was a rusty nut. I checked the hole again with the pinpointer and found an old wheat that was in the side of the hole. The next wheat I found was again co-existing with rusty iron.

I hunted another two hours and was finding loads of clad, but no more older coins. Funny thing, I dug hardly any junk. I always do what Joe Val does, but not as precisely as him. I count my junk to coin ratio, but usually give up on that after an hour or so. Today, my coin pouch was fuller than my junk pouch. I moved across the road to higher ground that was not as muddy. I hardly ever find any thing but clad at this section of the fairgrounds. My first target was a very deep(8 inches) 18 signal. I saw a glimpse of gold and it was a yellow coin. About had a heart attack, but turned out to be a 20 Euro coin. How it got this deep is beyond me. Ten feet further I got a very loud and clean lock on 28 signal. Lifted the coil a couple of inches and the signal never varied. When I got the target out of the ground, I could not see it even when I touched it with my pinpointer. It was almost black, but dime sized. A discolored mercury dime that was 7 inches or so deep. I was amazed to see it that deep. The signal was quite loud.

I really think the 600 is the best coin hunter bargain on the market. Now for the bad. I have had many surgeries to straighten my wrists. I had compound fractures of both wrists in 1980 and both of the outside bones(not sure of the name) are dislocated and the ends trimmed. I had to give up on the Etrac because the handle angle was changed from the original Explorers. As light as the 600 is , I am having bad pain from the angle of the handle. If the pain persists, I will have to give up on the Nox. Hopefully I can somehow adjust. Maybe I can configure a Whites S rod assembly.

From reading your post... I can tell you have a lot to contribute to the education of the 600 users, or any detector for that matter. Your comment re reducing your sens to 18 made me think a bit since I tend to run hot as well.

I hope that somehow you can make the appropriate adjustments to whatever detector you are using, to keep you out there swinging the coil.

Good luck to you pal.

Sounds like a great hunt RLOH.
Maybe a Minelab harness would be perfect for you. The one that comes with the Minelab GPX comes to mind. You can purchase them separately but you would still need to buy the bungee that’s made for it.
It most likely would relieve the tension and stress on your hands, wrists, arms and shoulders.
Best of luck!

I have an 800 and only have used it 2 times before the snow hit. I didn't change only the iron Bias down to 0 as I saw a video that someone did showing that even on 1 a coin, it was I think either right tight up next to iron or just under it was not heard no signal or just iron signal can't remember, so I put it to 0 don't know but figured it couldn't hurt.

The other was lowered I lowered reactivity to 5 from 6 other wise I left all else alone in Park one.

Now sensitivity was factory set I think at 23 and seemed ok to me here where I used it but I will try your suggestion and maybe put it at 20 down a bit and listen to see if even quieter.

If I get in a spot where I get excessive noise I will try it even lower to 18 like you stated. It obviously still seems to have plenty of punch power at that setting. Thanks for your info RLOH. Hope your issue gets resolved to your betterment..

RLOH said:
I got a stretch of decent winter weather here in northeast Ohio and have been adjusting to the 600. I made the mistake of running the 600 too hot for the first couple of hunts. Today, I ran park one with all stock adjustments and dropped the sensitivity to 18. I believe the hot adjustments caused too much ground noise and made the signals scratchy. Almost all of the deeper signals were not clear at all, but with no changes to the stock park one, the signals were clear, clean, and concise. The place I hunted today is littered with all kinds of trash and the 600 was like a different detector. I was amazed to hear three or four 14 to 16 signals with every sweep. My first lock on coin signal was a 12- 13 and four bars deep. From seven inches a Buffalo nickel. I found a handful of clad at various depths in the next half hour. Finally a deep 24-26 that had a slight iron buzz when I checked it in all metal. The signal in disc was clean and I had a feeling I had a coin next to iron. First piece I found was a rusty nut. I checked the hole again with the pinpointer and found an old wheat that was in the side of the hole. The next wheat I found was again co-existing with rusty iron.

I hunted another two hours and was finding loads of clad, but no more older coins. Funny thing, I dug hardly any junk. I always do what Joe Val does, but not as precisely as him. I count my junk to coin ratio, but usually give up on that after an hour or so. Today, my coin pouch was fuller than my junk pouch. I moved across the road to higher ground that was not as muddy. I hardly ever find any thing but clad at this section of the fairgrounds. My first target was a very deep(8 inches) 18 signal. I saw a glimpse of gold and it was a yellow coin. About had a heart attack, but turned out to be a 20 Euro coin. How it got this deep is beyond me. Ten feet further I got a very loud and clean lock on 28 signal. Lifted the coil a couple of inches and the signal never varied. When I got the target out of the ground, I could not see it even when I touched it with my pinpointer. It was almost black, but dime sized. A discolored mercury dime that was 7 inches or so deep. I was amazed to see it that deep. The signal was quite loud.

I really think the 600 is the best coin hunter bargain on the market. Now for the bad. I have had many surgeries to straighten my wrists. I had compound fractures of both wrists in 1980 and both of the outside bones(not sure of the name) are dislocated and the ends trimmed. I had to give up on the Etrac because the handle angle was changed from the original Explorers. As light as the 600 is , I am having bad pain from the angle of the handle. If the pain persists, I will have to give up on the Nox. Hopefully I can somehow adjust. Maybe I can configure a Whites S rod assembly.

Interesting and informative post. One question, You refer to JOE VAL. Could you explain this in more detail? Thanks

Interesting view points RLOH, I agree the factory settings are a great place to start. I think its more important to pick the right mode for your hunt myself. Thanks for sharing your insights.

HH Jeff

Great story and hunt. Having been a F70 owner for 5+ years the transition to the Nox was pretty easy as they are similar machines so fine-tuning the HOT was natural for me.
I may have to toy around with factory settings again in the spring just to get a comparison for myself now that I'm familiar with the machine and your anecdote has piqued my interest. I don't think I ran factory settings for more than a day of 2 when I first bought it.

Agreed on the handle being uncomfortable. The Fisher f70 was perfect with its ergonomics. Very little fatigue. This NOX is tough on my wrist and forearm. I find myself grabbing it by the coupler and shaft for a less fatiguing grip but that makes my swing feel sloppy. My conundrum is I love this machine. I don't think it's a coincidence my quality of finds has exploded since I bought it having found some of my oldest coins ever in places that are traditionally hunted out by the old timers decades ago with antiquated equipment.

Joe Val is a fellow that I have emailed with in the last couple of weeks. Joe keeps very exact totals of his coin to trash ratio. He might find twenty coins and 36 pieces of trash. I hunt places that have been "cherry picked" years ago so the majority of the signals I dig are "iffy". I dig way too many pieces of trash. I usually start my hunt counting trash to coins, but I give up after realizing my trash pouch is full. This usually happens in an hour or so. LOL

Ive been using the Xcal for some time with the ability to adjust the handle to my comfort. BUT.... size wise i was using bike handles after everyday hunting 7 or more hours in the water i developed TRIGGER FINGER. Changing to a grip about the size of the Nox handle fixed the problem.