Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The night I got shot in the head

Jbird

The recent post about the blonde who got shot in the head when the frozen biscuits exploded reminded me of a story about the night I got shot in the head.

First.....the background. About 1970 I was a member of an Air Force training team training Laotian's how to maintain and fly C-47 gunships. We were having lots of success and keeping the gunships over the battlefields really discouraged the communist Pathet Lao. They tended to quit fighting and hide so we couldn't spot them and hose them down at the rate of 18,000 bullets per minute.

The Pathet Lao retaliated by putting all our team members on an assasination list. Also the bird dog pilots who sometimes helped us locate targets and the ground combat controllers who often radioed us in on targets from the ground were scheduled for assisination. All of us were working out of Udorn Air Base in Northern Thailand, just
across the Mekong river from Laos.

One of our members had a close encounter with death when someone attacked him from a dark alley with a knife. Two of our combat controllers were jumped by some Thai kick boxers (who were often hired hooligans in Thailand) and it was quickly determined that 4 kickboxers are not equal to 2 combat controllers.:)

All this was taking place before we were informed by the American Embassy in Laos that we were on the enemy's assination list. Our Commander came back from a meeting at the Embassy and said they were thinking about letting us all wear 38 caliber snub nose pistols in shoulder holsters. That scared the hell out of me and I quickly spoke out against it on the grounds that only our combat controllers were combat trained while the rest of us were aircraft maintenance technicians. Turning a bunch of nervous flyboys loose in a Thailand city with pistols would have put us in a very compromising situation if we had shot someone and not been able to prove that they were agents of the Pathet Lao out of Laos. Most everyone quickly agreed with me except for a few guys that had seen too many thriller movies and had never played with real guns before.

So a decision was made that all of us known to be on an assination list would only be able to leave the base if three or more were going together. This was really a mess because didnt everybody wont to go to the same places at the same time. Someone was always unhappy and grumbling. As the Non Com in charge, I had to try to keep things smoothed out.

One night, I got talked into going just about three blocks outside the base gate with three other guys to have a beer. There was a bar there that we were all familiar with. After a couple of beers, I decided to go back to the base while the other three decided to stay a while longer. I cautioned them to stay sober and watch each others backs.

I had not been back in the hutch long before two of the guys came in. I raised up in my bunk and asked where the other guy was and they said they couldnt talk him into coming back on base with them. "You know how crazy Bailey is," they said.

I chewed them out for leaving Bailey out there by himself and jumped up and got dressed. They offered to go back with me to get Bailey but I was mad at them for leaving him out there by himself and suggested that those two little sissy boys stay safe in the hutch while I went after him. Big mistake on my part.

About halfway to the bar, I was walking on the left side of a busy and very dusty road, more of a highway than a road. In Thailand, cars drive on the left side of the road so lots of traffic was whizzing by just off my right shoulder. I was still mad, walking tall and mentally planning a first class butt chewing for Bailey. Then suddenly, my head exploded, BANG!! My next thought was that I was down and that I was hurt. Also I was having trouble breathing and I could hear this really pitiful sounding high pitched whiny voice saying, "help...help...help." That was big brave me, thinking I had been shot in the head.

My senses were returning enough to know that my breathing problem was caused by me being knocked face down in a dusty ditch. As I was trying to cough up the dust and wipe the dirt out of my eyes, I could see one of those small datsun looking pickups backing up toward me as I lay there in the ditch and there was some guys in the back of the pickup. The thought came to me that that was the guys that shot me in the head and they were coming back to finish the job.

For some crazy reason, I came wobbling up out of the ditch screaming bloody murder and trying to get at the guys in the pickup. The pickup took off and I staggered over into traffic and almost got run over by oncoming cars.

I managed to make it across the road without getting run over. I kept thinking, "Im shot, Im shot". There was something sticky leaking out the back of my head and I was convinced I was shot. I could still walk, although I was unsteady, and I told myself to just keep putting one foot in front of another untill I could make it to the base gate where I could get help.

By the time I got to the base gate, I was in better shape and decided to just walk the extra block to our hutch. By the time I got to the hutch, I was much steadier and rather than go into the hutch, I decided to go into the latrine and look at myself in the mirrors.

I was covered with that old red dust so typical of northern Thailand. The back of my head was bleeding and my upper back and right shoulder was hurting bad so I ripped off my shirt and tee shirt and in the mirror I could see that something had whacked me in the back of the head and upper back and scraped my right shoulder blade bad. It looked like a big blue bruise was already forming. It was then I realized that I had not been shot. I had been sideswiped by a large rear-view mirror like some pick-ups have. Just another traffic victim. You dont get a purple heart for getting side-swiped by a pick-up truck but I decided that was OK with me. Its better than being shot in the head.:)

it is like getting a history lesson, reading your story's! :thumbup:

Like David says, What happened to Bailey? Did you shoot the dumbarse? :D

I find your storys about the military very interesting and as usual, you tell a great story :D

I bet you were so relieved to find you were not shot that you took it easy on Bailey......or maybe not!:lol:

his story is sorta tickleing my brain a bit. It is messing with a memory that I can not pin down. Does that make sense?:lmfao:

I gotta chew that one around a little because I am sure there is something in my past that it is reminding me of. Hummmmm?

n/t

if you had the pistol i suspect those people in the truck would have been in big trouble!
Thanks for recounting the tale!:thumbup:

I thought maybe ya got hammered by a melon or beer bottle. That mirror had ta hurt like he!!.

blonde is not the only person to think she has been shot in the back of the head was good enough for me. Glad you couldn't feel the Pillsbury coming out of your head! :lol:

Seriously, I'm glad you were okay! I'm glad there are people out there like you that let me have my freedom! I am glad you made it back! My how my views have changed since 1970 which was the year I graduated from high school, wearing peace sign necklaces, not knowing what in the heck was really going on. I still wonder about some of my friends who did not make it back from that time, about how their families ever got over losing their son or daughter! Salute to you, Jbird. They were lucky to have such a caring higher up as you! :clapping:

....as I came up out of that ditch. I remember thinking, yeah, I was the dumbazz that turned down the pistol idea. On the other hand, If I had a pistol I may have shot a bunch of people who were not guilty of anything and be offered an internship in a Thai prison.:)

....then he couldn't go anywhere for awhile unless it was with me.:thebird:....and I aint very good company.:)

....and everyone questioned my idea that I got hit by a rear view mirror on a Datsun (or similiar size) pickup and I began to doubt it myself. Most of the guys finally decided that someone in the back of the pickup must have stuck a shovel or something out to rap me on the back of the head. Whatever it was, it was a heck of a surprise to me.

....and everyone questioned my idea that I got hit by a rear view mirror on a Datsun (or similiar size) pickup and I began to doubt it myself. Most of the guys finally decided that someone in the back of the pickup must have stuck a shovel or something out to rap me on the back of the head. Whatever it was, it was a heck of a surprise to me. I also vaguely remember a sense of danger just before my head exploded but cant honestly remember ducking or having time to react before I got hit.

I remembered one time when I was runnin a little wild and was parked on the side of the road on my wannabe chopper:lol: and was tryin to make some time with a couple of local gals. They were standing on the edge of the road and I was still on the bike seat sorta leaning over the bars yakkin. All of a sudden, my head flew forward and hit the tripletree and I about passed out from the pain of gettin my beak squarshed. Blood spurtin everywhere and I felt like someone had hit me with a baseball bat in the back of the head. Lucky for me, I had unbuckled my helmet but had just pushed it up a bit rather than take it off. When I did look at it, it was full of broken glass. The girls were peppered with beer and glass and were pretty mad. They said a pickup truck had come up behind me and a guy leaned out and delivered a longneck dead on to the back of my head. OoooKayyyy! off we go chasin down the road but the truck was long gone, course the local deputy wasn't. He hauled my butt over for speeding and was about to write a ticket when he noticed all the blood on my face and neck. I explained that I was tryin to find the truck and/or head home to fix my nose. He had a good idea who it might have done it, but I never heard any more. Wrecked a perfectly good helmet too, dang thing was actually split. Good thing it wasn't my head or I might not have faired so well.

Dave

a day long ago, my buddy Jim and I were hitch hiking from Pontiac to Keego Harbor, where we lived.

Jim was a tall lanky sucker and all arms and legs. He was standing in the dang road with his long arm sticking out trying to hitch a ride.

I told the dang fool to get out of the road and he figured he would not be ignored if he squeezed them a bit.

Along came a Greyhound Bus. There stands Jim, crowding the road with his dang arm way out. Smiling :D That dang bus driver just didn't care much I reckon. I heard a WUUUMP and Jim was a jumpin up and down and a holding his hand, squalling like a mashed cat.

He took off a runing and a bellering. I was feeling sorry for him and laughing my arse off. He was running back toward Pontiac and I yelled, "HEY YOU DANG FOOL! YOU GONNA RUN, RUN THE DIRECTION WE ARE A GOING!"

He finally calmed down and he didn't break any bones but it weren't for him not trying :D