Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The New Guy

rugbyman187

Well just joined the forums and I'm glad I did. There is a lot of information on here which is great for someone like myself just getting started. I have been hearing nothing but how good the Whites MXT is. My question is I live in South Carolina and would be using it here and probably in Georgia also. Has anyone used the MXT in my neck of the woods? Maybe some pointers also.

Is the Whites MXT a good first detector for me? The only detectors I've used in the past are Military when I was Army. Any help would be great!

Hi Rugbyman, the mxt is a good detector full stop....it's one of the best detectors on the market performance wise.The good thing with the mxt is that it can be set up as a simple beep and dig detector to start with and as your experience grows you can start using the different modes and tone options and also introduce the threshold to help locate those really deep items.The mxt is backed up by a great selection of coils both from Whites and aftermarket companies.....there's a coil for every hunting situation.Far from just being good as a first detector,it's good enough to be the only detector you'll ever need.If you have any questions about the machine just ask...i'd love to help if i can.....if i can't there are a lot of good people on here with a lot of experience with the mxt who are only too pleased to help.
Best regards,Neil.

Thanks for the infomation scoper. I think I will go ahead and start looking for one. Any idea on a good place to get a used one? Also, where can I find information on which heads are the best for certain surfaces?

scoper said:
Hi Rugbyman, the mxt is a good detector full stop....it's one of the best detectors on the market performance wise.The good thing with the mxt is that it can be set up as a simple beep and dig detector to start with and as your experience grows you can start using the different modes and tone options and also introduce the threshold to help locate those really deep items.The mxt is backed up by a great selection of coils both from Whites and aftermarket companies.....there's a coil for every hunting situation.Far from just being good as a first detector,it's good enough to be the only detector you'll ever need.If you have any questions about the machine just ask...i'd love to help if i can.....if i can't there are a lot of good people on here with a lot of experience with the mxt who are only too pleased to help.
Best regards,Neil.

If you go on Whites official website you will find a list of all the accessory coils and a brief discription of their uses.If i were you i would certainly get the eclipse 10x6dd coil to use as your main coil if you can.This coil is nice and light to swing,is good in amongst the trash and will cope with mineralised soil better than the 9.5" coil that is usually supplied as standard.If i were you i would look for a used mxt from a trusted dealer if possible as you will usually get some sort of warranty.
Neil.

Scoper,
Once again you have provided me with some more valuable information. I always get warranty's and this should be no different. I have been looking on ebay quite a bit lately. Im wondering if there are other places to look. I have been searching for a while. You just dont find too many MXT's for sale which is good thing I guess because that means people want to hold on to them. Another thing is that it looks like they really hold there value.
I have been trying to stick around the $500 range. But my question is what things do I need to look for. I have also seen some Whites MXT E-series and MXT 300 ltd. Are these better than regular MXT?

Welcome aboard Rugbyman, The more you use the MXT, the more you'll love it. It will be a great detector no matter where you live. Enjoy and keep us posted on how it's going. HH, Nancy

The regular MXT is as good performance wise as any that has followed such as the 300 or the pro.Later variants have a few more features which some people find useful but others would not need.I have the pro version which has extra features such as 7 tone i.d,a backlight and a ground grab function.If i'm totally honest i don't really need these extra features.....they do not make the MXT perform any better. If i were you i would look out for a standard MXT as these tend to be a little cheaper than the later models and just as good.A company such as kellyco has a used detector section which is worth keeping an eye on as they will get the occasional MXT in,but like you say they rarely come up for sale because people like them so much.I think you just need to keep a constant look out and snap one up if it looks as though it has been well looked after.If you don't mind buying from overseas there is a chap called Kevin who runs staffordshire metal detectors and he only really deals in used detectors.He is a brilliant person to deal with and if you contacted him and told him what you were after he would look out for one for you.....he ships worldwide and gives a warranty.He recently had an MXT but it was sold within a couple of days.Good luck with your search...hope you find one soon.
Neil.

Rugbyman,
I have both the MXT and the MXT Pro and All the bells and whistles.
Love both and find that there is no difference hunting with them.
Check the classified section of Finds Treasure Forum and some of the other forums for a deal.
They come up every once in a while at some great prices..
When you do get your MXT you are going to wonder why you waited so long..
Have fun and Happy Hunting

HuntinDog,
Thanks for the information. I have my eye on a few that will be selling within the nex few days. Hopefully I can get one. Seems like the original MXT is my best bet. Does everyone think around $500 or less is reasonable?

I'd say so... But try to wrestle a few coils away from the seller as well for that price. It's worth a shot.

Good point Lodi. Regardless, if you think about it, in time it will pay itself off. Im from Northern California but live on the border of SC and GA. Im sure there are a bunch of places to check out over here. I can't wait. Hopefully I will be Whites MXT bond in the next day or so.

How would the whites surf pi pro be for a first time user? Its used and $450. Any thoughts. I want something for water, land, coins, relics, gold, and other cool stuff.

rugbyman187 said:
How would the whites surf pi pro be for a first time user? Its used and $450. Any thoughts. I want something for water, land, coins, relics, gold, and other cool stuff.
Not a good first detector as it will not discriminate and you'll
be digging everthing iron to silver.
MXT you can set it to iliminate iron and get the
better targets.
PI is a good detector for salt water and salt beaches.
Salt water will rust away the iron targets eventually
and a PI will shine with those locations.

Joel,
Thanks for the info and very good points. I think later down the road a PI might be something to get. For now I think your right, MXT might be the best choice for me. Thanks.