Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The mysterious "BENCHMAN"........

Lil Brother

Somewhere around 3 years ago, Carol and I both worked together at St Josephs Regional Medical Center in Hot Springs, Arkansas. It was then that we both seemed to notice a homeless man sitting on different benches with a somewhat dazed look on his face. He had long scraggly brown hair, wore a brown jacket year round and always had a cigar in his mouth. Sometimes he would have a cup of coffee beside him or else a carton of milk 1/2 gallon size. If he wasnt sitting on one of a couple of benches, we'd see him walking down Central Avenue holding 2 or 3 plastic bags with a blank stare on his face.

We started noticing Benchman at the same time of day everyday sitting on one of "his" benches. You could dang near set your watch by him. Even though Carol and I both knew that he could "just be down" at this time in his life, in our hearts, we knew he truly had a problem. We even laughed at his expense alot making jokes about him. We weren't trying to be mean really, but he began to pop up at the strangest times. After 2 or 3 months of seeing him most everyday, we would worry when we didnt see him for a day or two. He would always be on the corner of Grand and Central around 6:00am every day.

Months rolled by and Carol and I would always question ourselves as to why we didn't stop and talk to him and maybe even helping him out with a free meal or something. We would never give him money, we told ourselves, but might possibly buy his lunch if we ever saw him in a restaurant. Actually, we did see him in Wendys one night, but he bought himself a large chile, hamburger and an order of fries while we were eating and he had already paid for it before we saw him.

We never saw him beg---ever! He always seemed to have cigars and usually a Wendys cup of coffee. Maybe he receive a disability ck of some type. As time went on, Benchman became more and more intriguing to us. We sort of wondered what his past was like. He could of been a miser for all we knew. Maybe he was some super-rich millionaire. Benchman was not a people oriented person---we could just tell. One day a year or so ago, we past Benchman to see that he had gotten his hair cut. He even looked like he could be a "normal person" and hold a "normal job" if he wanted. I guess that was the last haircut hes had. Carol and I wonder what the story was behind that one. Did someone pass him one day and throw him a $20 bill out the window.What happened?

Yesterday I was coming home from an early morning metal detecting adventure with my brother when I passed a man on the side of highway 70 pushing a shopping cart with all of his worldly possessions inside when I glanced over and looked him in the eye for a split second. I could tell that in that short time, he recognized me and might even be wondering to himself, "how am I doing"? I knew it was weird to see him on that particular highway, but really didnt think about it for long.

I told Carol the story when I saw her and commented that I thought it was Benchman. Well, last night around 11:30pm we were coming home when Carol called my attention to a brown dog laying at the head of Ten Mile Road. As we approached, we could see it more clearly. It was Benchman with his shopping cart at the head of our road. He was laying down in the street and only raised his head when my headlights hit him. Immediately Carol screamed, "Its Benchman"! Now, what does a person do? We are not too sure that he wouldnt cut our livers out if he had the chance, so we didnt stop. We got home so I called the Sheriffs Office.

The dispatcher told me that someone else had made a call to them too, and that thay had someone on their way out. Carol and I were watching TV and eating cheese dip when we kept asking each other about"Well, was he hurt...was he seriously wounded....is he psycho as he looks? After 45 minutes of Jerry Springer, we decided to jump in the truck and see if the sheriff had come yet. After getting to the head of the road we noticed that he was gone. So was his shopping cart. I drove across the street to the local grocery store looking for the shopping cart. It wasnt there either. I knew that if the sheriff picked him up,(for his own good!), that he would leave the cart.

I pulled on to Highway 70 and traveled maybe another mile before we saw the cart. Beside the shopping cart was Benchman laying on the edge of the highway! This time it was Carols turn to call the sheriff. She is such a good communicator, she probably talked to the dispatcher ten minutes. The dispatcher wasnt sure if they had any one on the way yet, but informed us she would give them an update on his location. After knowing that we need about all we could do, we went to bed. We both included him in our prayers.

This morning Carol and I headed in to town expecting to see him on the road either sleeping or dead. We never did see him or his shopping cart so we are assuming that he is still in possession of his stuff pushing his shopping cart down some highway. We wonder if we will ever see him again. Is he going South for the winter to stay in one of his other condos or did the sheriff pick him up and take him for a mental evaluation?

Carol and I have never met Benchman, but we both feel as if we know him. We care about him and will miss him.

This was a true story. It makes me thankful for what I DO have!

Thanks for listening,

Lil Brother:):)

I have always wondered what would make someone become a homeless person.

A few years ago, I offered a homeless man pushing a grocery cart some money, but he refused to take it. He acted offended at first, then said that he really did not need any money...he said he had everything he needed. I wished him well and went on my way. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

In this great land where we have been so richly blessed with so much.So many things that can cause a person to be reduced to that sort of existance-drug-alcohol abuse,mental illness,depression over a loss that can't be forgotten.You are right,it does make one appreciate what we have.When I see someone like your "Benchman" I always think that there,if not for the grace of God,go I.Thanks for posting this.

once upon a time I befriended a man like that that had skeeered the living socks off me, cause he walked up on my blind side, while I was mowing the church's huge yard. gosh, did he look rough with long strackly hair and tattoos, and stunk to high heavens....and years later it came back to me 7 folds strong---i guess i should re write this story

just remember buddy, angels are testing us daily,but u probably did the safe thing

knowing yur angels, wud not put u thru that after what u have been thru with your health, those angels are potecting u, sir and helping u make the right decisions

a person has done the right thing. As difficult as it was, you two made the right decision. But in ones minds, there is always the 'what if'.

As Fred says, if you do get the chance to talk to him, give it a try.

Thank you for the tale Lil Bro.

sunny skies

M

I left out one little detail about the distance he walked. I saw him just outside of Hot Springs about 12:05 p.m. It was 11:30 when we saw him again. This was at least a 15 mile trek from where I first saw him. You can bet that he walked from Hot Springs and to the city limits from my house is about 18 miles. It was also upper 90's and sunny!

Lil Brother

.....by all outward appearance they looked strange,worn clothes,pushing old carts or bikes.Many times they came to see if I find much.I could just see by there appearance,that they probably slept in the park.As a rule most talked normal and some were obviously highly educated.There was one or two,which I felt sorry for,they just did not seen to be someone you would think is homeless.Another thing that strikes me,not one asked for money .I also would only give food.

I count my blessings everyday,for it could be anyone of us out there,living day to day.
So long ojm

Ole' benchman is/was a fixture in Hot Springs, for sure. As much of a people person as I am, I never entertained the idea of approaching him. That thousand-yard stare, the shaggy hair jutting out in all directions, his mouth partly agape.

He always seemed so untouchable, except to one person. You have convinced me, though, that if I ever get the chance, I will approach him myself, and see what happens. I know he responds, somewhat. I also wonder of his past.

As I passed by him, from time to time, I lifted prayer to the Father for him. Readers might think, "big deal." But I can say that it is the most we can do.

About a year and a half ago, we as a family were in Burger King when he came in. Kyle, in all his innocence, asked him if he was hungry, and offered to buy him a meal. He said that he was on a liquid diet. However, he did relent and Kyle did buy him a meal--with his own money. Benchman seemed cordial enough, still with that stark stare. As he ate, Kyle sat with him for a few minutes and the conversation really never got started. But Benchman didn't rebuff him either.

Maybe one day, we can put feet to our prayers and something can be done...for Benchman.

Thanks for this story, Tom. It is like you: Special. <><

Yo Bro

Johnboy

to say yes; that I would try to talk to him again, but then again, I dont know. I would like to think that I would though.

Lil Brother:)

I mentioned to Carol that for all we know, he may go to Little Rock twice a week that way. I am glad Kyle approached him though. Now, I am certain that I will too if ever given the chance again.

I told Carol that he could easily play Jesus in The Witness!

ILY

Lil Brother :)