Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The "Mosquito Fleet " part 5 .... Battle damage...

Ron J

Buds Tenth mission took place on March 9 1945. During this mission the 304 took a slight gouge on the Starboard Bow, looks minor in the photo.[attachment 85209 ScannedImage-46.jpg][attachment 85211 ScannedImage-47.jpg] But appears they hauled her out possibly to check the hull, maybe giving it a scrub at the same time. The 308 though, took a hit. Somehow in the attack the fantail was hit, and partially removed. [attachment 85212 ScannedImage-48.jpg] In the photo the damage is quite apparent! The crew poking through the hull, gives it some depth! [attachment 85213 ScannedImage-49.jpg]You can also see the strength, and how well the superstructure was built! Remember that is WOOD you are viewing, not steel! Looks it though...Evidently these photo's must have been taken on or around March 19 -45 for his diary states "left for Maddalena for repairs. The 308 is a mess." Thats putting it mildly, if the 308 was steel, it would have most likely sunk. March 23 -45 Bud writes "heard the 303 and 305 collided.No more news.Heard the 307 ran aground. What is happening? " Sounds like the Squadron was falling apart... March 26 -45," Left Maddalena for the Gulf Juan. The Chaplin of the 8th fleet was a guest on board and got the ride of his life, so did we. I thought my wife would be a widow as of tonight. We hit the tail end of a typhoon and our Skipper had us tie a line for and aft for safety measures. He said it was 30 foot sea. I was scared." (I wouldn't blame him!! Hmmmm 80' ft vessel, 30 ft sea? No thanks... On April 12 -45 Bud got a new skipper, Mr. Knorr is replaced by Mr. Howell..... April 14 -45 " President Roosevelt Passed away... April 15 -45 Memorial Services for F.D.R. April 24 -45 "The 305 boat had a gun fight with a Moss boat (German) Sank it." April 27 -45 " Scuttlebutt's says No more Missions. Hope its true." Here's a "fish" for you![attachment 85214 ScannedImage-50.jpg]

I do not understand why being made out of plywood would prevent it from sinking...it is still a heavy boat. Why did Bud think that there would be no more missions? There will be a "next" part to this story, right? This is a good story, much information about the PT boat. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Must be something synonymous with them both being built with wood that gives these things the "Mosquito" reference. . :shrug: Anyways, there's a group here in Windsor SLOWLY refitting an old Mosquito airplane (at least I think they still are).....wondering if there's any of those PT's in a museum somewhere ? They sure were well designed and built ! Great, great series......glad you're taking the time !!

Buds story is complete, i will show pictures of the two restored units . In fact check out these two for an example of what i have....[attachment 85273 BattleshipCove014.jpg][attachment 85274 BattleshipCove012.jpg]

whatever hit them, may have twisted and pulled, and made the damage worse.the plywood skin appears to have Jude ripped off,leaving the superstructure undamaged. or the crew could have stuffed mattresses in the gap. Also with the speed the vessel had,the Skipper could have cruised at a speed, just fast enough, to keep minimum water coming in. Lastly they could have pulled up to another PT and tied to each other till they cruised into port. I appears there was no piece of the bottom of the hull ripped out, or maybe most of the damage was just above the waterline? Just my opinion...

Wood is significantly stronger than steel BY WEIGHT. Wood is also bouyant because of the cellular structure that comprises the wood, so a wooden boat floats partly because of bouyancy and partly because of displacement. A steel boat only floats because of displacement. (basically the weight of the boat is less than the weight of the volume of water displaced by the hull) If the skipper kept the PT up on plane (PTs are planing hulls) while running the pumps to eliminate water splashed into the hull it is possible to keep the boat from sinking even with that much of the fantail shot away, provided the superstructure wasn't critically damaged.

Cheers,

Eric

n/t

I don't envy them the danger but the excitement of the times. What a blast it had to be to ride one of those PT boats. I will never forget McHales Navy!! Sorta hokey but those shots of the PT's flat out were exciting