Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The "Mosquito Fleet" Finale.... V E Day! "half the fight is over"

Ron J

Well the scuttlebutte was true.... Bud state's April 28-45 "Today we (all 10 boats) went out on a victory parade. We met the French Fleet off San Remo. We put on a pretty good show. (I wonder they were during the war, if they still existed?, Bud doesn't mention anything else pertaining to this) April 30-45 Four days in Nice for the first half of the crew- 2nd later[attachment 85606 ScannedImage-55.jpg][attachment 85599 ScannedImage-52.jpg]..[attachment 85601 ScannedImage-54.jpg]..[attachment 85600 ScannedImage-53.jpg]MAY 7 1945 V.E. DAY! half the fight is over. (meaning maybe in Europe, with Japan still at it) May 9th 45 Left for Maddalena this morning. Arrived at 1300...... May 11-45 Left for Bizerte. Arrived at 14.30... May 12-45 Left for Algers and Oran. Staying in Mers El Kahir.....May 24- 45 OUR boat was loaded atop an L.C.I. (landing craft infantry, length 158 ft) [attachment 85604 ScannedImage-56.jpg],[attachment 85602 ScannedImage-51.jpg] which in turn was loaded atop an L.S.T. ( Landing SHIP tank, length 328 ft.) Bud states "Hope we make across the pond. We seem top heavy. The holds are empty. " ....About three weeks later.. June 16-45 "after sea trials we are finally on our way home......July 2 -45 After 17 days of good and bad weather, we finally see N.Y......July 3- 45 We are unloaded and went to City Island Shipyard. Our boats will be done over. We'll be fitted with rockets and new motors and after 90 days on our way to Japan. (Imagine what was going through Bud and crew members minds, waiting for this?) ..............Little did Bud or his crew members could have ever imagined what was to take place within the next 4 weeks.... On August 6, 1945 Hiroshima was bombed, and on August 9th, Nagasaki was bombed. Wasn't till Aug.15-45 that Bud wrote again "The war is over and i will soon be discharged. I hope ...Nov.15- 45 P.T. 304 is decommissioned. The colors are mine. (meaning the "Ensign" was his to take home) Finally on Dec. 23- 45 "My military services are now a memory......... Thats it.. Thats Buds war career in a few, but memorial pages, but he had a thousand memories in his mind that he would keep till his death. That crew were brothers to the end. Ya know they were all excited to be discharged, but their friendship, and hardships were never ever forgotten,,, It had to be extremely tough to say "goodbyes" to his buddies, and P.T. 304 ! Its no wonder that generation never spoke about the experiences... , it brought back memories of old friendships , good times, sad times. They were a Proud Generation ! ( maybe too proud to shed a tear while talking about it,they came from a crowd of Real Men, that could not show a moment of weakness.. the carnage, the sinking of ships,or airplanes, the mangled bodies floating in the sea, the bombed out buildings, towns, cities, being destroyed, because of some maniac, who by the way, committed suicide on April 30, 1945.) At the same time, remember this, they had protected the United States, and other nations, from being invaded on the sovereign ground of America. They had wife's,kids, family's to return to. They continued to make America grow, to become the strongest most powerful nation in the World. :usaflag: Bud, by the way, had children, and a successful career in Real Estate, and Insurance. I can only hope i represented Bud in a positive way, that his family may pass the album on with a little story to go with it. Buds album and short diary are priceless. No doubt about it! Thank You Chris G. (nephew) and his Grandmother Mrs A.(BUD) G. for the privilege of scanning the photo's and reading the Diary. Rj

n/t

Your statement "Its no wonder that generation never spoke about the experiences..." is so true as it has been my experience that most folks that have seen combat seldom talk about it. They have no desire to rekindle the memories of the stench of death. Thanks for sharing Bud's story with the Forum. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

i don't remember hearing anything about the french navy during ww2,maybe the still had ships patrolling the coast,probably not far to sam remo.i think anyone involved in war probably has vivid memories of it and their buddies in the service up to their final days.

At least in my opinion, anyways. Just reading of their experiences makes me an admirer......imagine what it had to be like to actually partake and live through it ?? "Never in the history of man have so many owed so much to so few".....Winston Churchill. That phrase applies to every veteran everywhere ! I absolutely loved this series Ron........One of my favorites, for sure !! Great, great job !! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

was confiscated by the Germans. And, some of it was actually sunk by the British ! I recall reading of one incident off the coast of Norway where the French wouldn't surrender their ships to the British........and thus they were destroyed. The British couldn't risk this fleet falling into the hands of the Germans. The "tangled webs of wartime".:)

the limelight that it deserves. :thumbup: My Dad was a WW Vet and he doesn't like to talk about it either. About all I can get out of him is he was in the Philippines and here and there, Army infantry.

when the news reached them that the War was over.. You can sure see it on their faces.

Thanks for the series Ron!! Very interesting:thumbup:

you went to a lot of work to give us a glimpse of the wonderful but sadly nearly forgotten lives of these heroes! Thank you!.:thumbup::thumbup:

n/t

i think ww1 devasted france,i forgot their caasualty numbers but the lost alot of future fathers,i don't think they recovered in time for hitler.

with a great story to go with them. Thanks for sharing them with all of us on the forum. I truly enjoyed it! :)