Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Magic of The Sovereign's

D Wes

Since I began Metal Detecting I have hunted with many great machines and it has been a pleasure to swing them. I bought my first Sovereign in 1993 and fell in love with it, sold it, bought another one and traded it.
Always believing I was getting a better Detector. I'm not saying the other Detectors were not great and a pleasure to use because they were and I dug many a keepers with each of them.
If you haven't Detected with one its really hard to describe the unique nature of a Sovereign. I have been trying out my best friends new Minelab X-Terra 70 and it is a well balanced Detector and very stable
with many usable features with several great Coils and if operated correctly it will go Deep. All in all a great Detector that I would Highly recommend. I grabbed my Modified 13 year old Sovereign to day after hunting with the X-Terra 70, and I realized just how much I enjoy hunting with it and the truth is I will never sell this one or trade it. I dug up several nice keepers with both Detectors to day but enjoyed using the Sovereign the most and out of all the Detectors I have used the Sovereign has always been the most rewarding one out of them all. I have not swung a detector yet that I can ID with out a meter and know when its silver time
or a nice old nickel. Its just plain dog gone hard to not like the tones of a Sovereign. It took many hours to learn this unique Detector but the rewards are highly rewarding when you do learn them.
As all detectors, it has its strengths and weakness but all in all its a wonderful Detector that goes DEEP. I will be getting my self another new top of the line Detector soon but have no intentions of putting my faithful Sovereign aside, it will hunt with all of the Top of the Line Big Dogs out there. A young gun laughed at my 13 year old Sovereign and told me to go out and buy a new state of the Art Detector like his, one time.
At the end of the day he was singing a different tune.

That proves it that you have to learn your machine, as it is only as good as the operator swinging off it, it all takes practice and perseverance .Cheers Craig.

n/t

This is really great, I believe myself and many hunters did not learn the sovereign like they should of.
I wish someone could answer me this; the explorers are great detectors and I agree, but why did many sovereign owners remove the numeric meters? This past November I dug an 11 inch deep wheat penny with the original BBS 8" coil, my point is if it wasn't for my 550 meter I might not have dug it; the meter reached 550 twice over a 2 minute coil wiggle.Oh the tone was faint and short. My point is this, are there explorer users who go by the tones only or are they using the smartfind and digital target ID modes along with the tone ID? Getting my point!
So why have alto of former and some current sovereign users not use the meter? I believe alto of hunters missed some targets due to not using the meter. They say it was extra weight or wasn't needed, well then hip mount! and the unit will be lighter than the explorer.
I bet the best explorer users use the smartfind target ID.
So sovereign owners use all the tools, why limit your detector.
The explorer to me has more distinctive tones to ID than the sovereign.
Wilbur

I dig every signal that's not rock solid iron,I just can't walk away from a signal not knowing what it is,that's why I never use a meter now although I did before when I had my Quattro and have no doubt I walked away from a few good finds because I THOUGHT I knew what it was.I would agree however that the Explorer is a better detector for cherry picking,however I also believe that a meter user will never develop an ear like someone who relies completely on the sounds,I guess just like blind people develop fantastic hearing .

Hi all,
I have been listening to your inputs, I don't own a coin beeper, but intend to fix that...what I have been reading on the Sov, x-terra 70 and eureka gold intrigue me....I'm leaning towards the Sov...need a push in one direction or the other...help thanks

CA

What type of Detecting do you plan to do. Coin Hunting in old parks and Homes, Relic Hunting, Hunting for Gold.
If Gold Nugget Detecting and Coins is in your plans then the X-Terra 70 is the right choice.
Just Hunting Old Parks and Home Sites, I would go with the Sov.
I recommend the Timber Wolf Head phones for the Sov.
A good pair of Head Phones are a very good investment with a Lesche Knife Trowel.

Amacon, D Wes has covered your question with Great Recommendations!! BEST OF LUCK, hh, Les Robinson

Thanks all...I'm grateful for the help...I have made up my mind (thanks to you)...the Sov is in...

Thanks Again
CA