Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The lovable clown

Dan-MO

I spent most of yesterday afternoon attending the funeral of a man I have known all my life. Although he was not related to me by blood he was married to my aunt for over 50 years and was a dear uncle. He had been very sick and suffered greatly for a couple of years before passing away at the age of 81. He was ready to go and although there was mourning and some tears everyone knew he had gone on to a better place and this was a comfort to all. His funeral was mostly a celebration of his life. I learned some things about him at his funeral that I never knew and would never have guessed.....

Uncle Don was a nut. An absolute clown who never met a stranger and would have anyone laughing at his antics within minutes of meeting him. He was always ready to help anyone at anytime tackle any project from building a house to working on a car or anything in between. Problem was, he was a total klutz! No disrespect intended and I can lovingly say that he worked 30 plus years as a brakeman on the railroad and I guess he knew about being a brakeman.....but as far as I could tell that is the only type work he had a clue about- but that didn't stop him from trying!

I couldn't tell you how many of his cars I have "completed" the repairs on over the years. Work that he "started".....but had bad luck with. Things like stripped plug holes in oil pans and oil filters cross threaded to spark plugs cross threaded or broken off. Once he bought a new riding lawnmower and hauled it 30 miles to our house to surprise my dad by mowing our lawn while dad was at work. Dad was surprised alright....especially when he noticed his prize tomato plants mowed down! Another time we were planning to put new shingles on my wife and my first house. Bright and early on the morning we were to start....Uncle Don was the first to show up to help....with his 5 pound shop hammer to drive the roofing nails with!

I have always thought of him as a lovable clown. A man who would give you the shirt off of his back. A man who would do whatever he could to help anyone with anything that despite his willingness was not always that helpful. A slim wiry hawk nosed man who ALWAYS had a unlit cigar clenched between his teeth and never missed a high school football game on Friday night. He attended every game I ever played and every game my son ever played and most every game between ours. He would often talk of plays in games I played in like they had just happened last night - not 30 years ago.

Despite his many failures his intentions were always good- he didn't have a mean bone in his body and although we did sometimes get aggravated with him at times...you couldn't stay mad for long. Just a lovable clown who was well intentioned but not much good for anything but a laugh. But there was a part of him I didn't know......until yesterday.

At the funeral home there was a board with hundreds of photos of him that were all taken at various times in his life, As I looked them over-many were familiar to me, but one wasn't...It showed him as a handsome young man in the uniform of the U.S. Marines. I was very surprised for I had never known he had served in the armed forces-he had never mentioned it. When I walked up to his casket to pay my last respects I was again surprised by the medals from his service on his chest-earned before I was born in Korea in a place called Chosin Reservoir . I had heard of this battle but am ashamed to say I didn

Your uncle Don was a true hero. I'm sure you will miss him. Thanks for sharing his story.

Dave

It's obvious your uncle Don's best trait was the one that counted most. Giving of himself with heartfelt intention. This world could use many, many more just like him. May he rest in peace !

Rob

.....the frozen hell of the chosin reservoir deserves a special salute. Here is mine and Semper Fi, marine.

Those guys went through a frozen hell. I know one that lives up here.

It is like my Uncle Charles. I posted the story about him. He was a bomber gunner that made that bombing run to Romania, those oil fields. I didn't know he was there until after he had died.

Lots of silent hero's. Sorry for your family's loss

kept silent about it. I know that my father was the same way..

Don sounds like a man we all could have come to know and love. I am proud for you.

Remember him well.

Calm seas

M

Back in the late 50's and early 60's I knew a man, his last name was Little--don't remember his first name, who said he was at Chosin Reservoir. He was a friend of my sisters husband and wouldn't say much about it, and what little he did talk about it was after he'd had a few beers. Being young and hard to impress I didn't think much about what he said then, but I read about Chosin Reservoir later and realized what he said about the cold and what they went through was true. He survived the icy hell of Chosin Reservoir but let alcohol do what the Chinese couldn't do. He was driving drunk, had a wreck and was killed. Your uncle was a true hero Dan, as was all the others who survived Chosin Reservoir. Thanks for posting about him.

your uncle was typical, like my Dad and the many others i knew who served in Korea. They said little about it but over time i heard a lot!
Americans and Canadians stood side by side there in that nasty conflict.
Sadly another fine soldier gone.......

as the Viet Nam War and it was a heck of a lot shorter...People forget that..

he must have been Dan. We often learn a lot about people, but not until it is too late.

A special story indeed.

Lil Brother

I really enjoyed the touching, funny, thought-provoking story of your dear uncle.

He seemed to be a very 'real' person. WHAT A HERO. (You too, Dan).

Thank you so much for sharing this with me.

aj