Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Lightship Sailors Association Part 4 Visiting the Chatham Lighthouse / C.G. Station

Ron J

From the Pier, we were then bused to the Coast Guard Station Chatham, which also has Chatham Light on the property. I have visited the Station in the past, but FROM the street! Words cannot describe the beauty of just viewing the Atlantic, the Harbor entrance, and all the sanddunes from the parking area. When i look out there, i can imagine my Dad either walking the sandy, far reaching dunes or walking into the station. I know he wasn't stationed at this location, but in most of the surrounding areas. I am sure he was here at one time or another, i can feel his presence,believe it or not! [attachment 112704 DSC06251.jpg] Back when my Dad was in the Coast Guard, the Cape was much less populated. We talking in the 1920's to 1940's! Everybody knew most everybody else on Cape Cod! No doubt, anyone in the Coast Guard, stationed on the Cape, was most likely born on the Cape back then. Any Surfman knew most everyone stationed at a Lifesaving Station and what Station they were at![attachment 112708 DSC06245.jpg] This the entrance door, to climb the spiral stairway [attachment 112709 DSC06243.jpg]to the room actually housing the Fresnel Lense,you need to climb this ladder,(Hi Rick!) [attachment 112710 DSC06224.jpg] and thru a hatch.[attachment 112713 DSC06240.jpg] Here is Lightship Sailor, Jay McCarthy and his lovely wife, standing in the Lens room. It gets crowded in there,with the very large Light constantly rotating. You can see another friend, crouching through the glass door, to walk on the outside! [attachment 112714 DSC06227.jpg] Rj

Looking down, this is the base for a second Lighthouse! The Sister Lighthouse was moved down the Cape to become the "new" Nauset Light. The old one was aged, and too close to the edge of the receeding dunes, due to corrosion. I Believe that was in 1921. Here is the Port side of the Chatham Harbor entrance. [attachment 112723 DSC06229.jpg] And, the Starboard side..[attachment 112726 DSC06234.jpg] Here is my friend, Rick Parks, who was also invited along with me. He enjoyed all of this as much as i did! As i mentioned earlier, it gets crowded on the catwalk. I was not too comfortable out there! :D[attachment 112730 DSC06237.jpg][attachment 112731 DSC06238.jpg] If you are a Mariner exiting or entering this area, you better know what you are doing. See some of those whitecaps? Most likely sandbars..And plenty off them, along with strong currents, and winds..means trouble. That is exactly why the Lighthouse and CG Station are situated here. Of course with todays Navigation it is easier, but unfortunatley, as you know, there are still a few ignorant boaters out there, and that is putting it in a mild statement. What about a hundred or more years ago? With no engines, just Sails! This has always been a tough Harbor, constantly changing, specially after a Hurricane or Noreaster![attachment 112732 DSC06249.jpg]

Many years back, I was offered a job at the Race Rocks Lighthouse up here. To my everlasting regret, I turned that job down... At least from this perspective of being 61 years old, I regret it. Back then with a small, young family and wife, the decision was perhaps a little easier; but I still wish that I had said yes!!

Life is full of possibilities, some precluded, some not!!

Fair winds, calm seas

Mikie

I wish we were back there Ron... maybe in a little better weather though!

Rick Gryder, Director

USCG Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Assn., Int., Inc.

http://www.uscglightshipsailors.org/

in frt yards, or nautical related business's. I know in Gloucester, its not uncommon for Trawlers to bring in a rusted old, very large anchors. The nets get caught on them, and if they are lucky enough to bring the nets in, with the anchor, they bring it in, rather than toss it back in, and catch it again sooner or later! As for the offering of a Lighthouse Keeper, we all make mistakes! :D