Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Lightship Sailors Association! Part 1

Ron J

Well, i don't quite know where to begin this story, but here goes...

Last Summer, a day in August, i had visited The Coast Guard Heritage Museum in Barnstable. Mainly to view their Coast Guard related collections and displays. I don't want to bore anyone by mentioning this again, but i have most of my Father's personal Coast Guard related memorabilia on display in that wonderful building, along with fantastic, rare items, belonging to many other people,who either are Veterans or family members of Coasties,who have graciously either loaned or donated items, to make this place an attraction for anyone interested in the U.S. Life Saving Service, Revenue Service, Lighthouse Service,which all became the U.S. Coast Guard.

For me it was a natural place to loan my Fathers memorabilia. He was born on Cape Cod, mostly stationed on Cape Cod, in various Lifesaving Stations,around the Cape. He enlisted at Cahoons Hollow Coast Guard Station in 1924. Transferred to North Scituate,Wood End, Race Point and others. Walked Patrols on the beaches, before and during the War,during good weather,bad weather.

Eventually he went to Greenland during WW ll, then Portland Maine for a short stint on the Cowslip, an icebreaker/buoy tender, finally Winter Island,Salem Massachusetts, retiring in 1951, as Chief Bosun Mate.

All of this leads up to me, participating the 10th Annual Reunion of the U.S.C.G Lightship Sailors Association......During my visit in August, i was told about the Reunion and how it was going to be held on the Cape. A room was going to be dedicated in the Museum strictly regarding Lightships and their crews. I had mentioned how i had photographed the remains of a supposed Lightship and would send a disc. I also inquired if i could attend the dedication, not knowing if it was a member only Reunion or if anyone could attend.

Through a series of coincidence's i was offered to be a guest, first by the Museums Curator, Bill Collette, who served on a Lightship, and is a member of the LSA. (Lightship Sailors Association) if an outsider could not attend. The men at the Museum really didn't know me personally, but made me feel like an old friend! It turned out the invite by Bill wasn't needed. I was invited personally by the Associations President, Larry Ryan! I was thrilled, and nervous...

After waiting patiently for October 15th to arrive, I was packed, camera's clothes,etc for my 3 day stay. I was off at 5:30 on the 16th, heading to Hyannis. Couldn't wait to arrive. Once i checked in, in the lobby were a couple of tables, with the reunion agenda, along with a gentleman behind the tables,Fred Pelger, treasurer,[attachment 112637 DSC06060.jpg] asking you to sign in upon arrival.

Turn out was pretty good.[attachment 112636 DSC06059.jpg] I believe 89 members along with wife or family members. This was going to be quite a turnout. Most of the morning was spent in the lobby area, where i finally met Larry Ryan and Rick Gryder , whom i had only spoken to via phone before. Couple of really great guys! I watched as a lot of the fellows renewed friendships, and started telling storeys. Like they served together yesterday, instead of many years ago! I as an outsider was given a very warm welcome.

That afternoon, everyone went into a large conference room, where the LSA proceeded to get to business, reviewing by laws, electing new officers etc. When done,[attachment 112638 DSC06096.jpg] Larry Ryan gave a great slide show of "The Lightships of Cape Cod", fantastic job i must say. [attachment 112639 DSC06097.jpg] During the show, it became apparent as Larry mentioned, how dangerous a job they all had, and had no recognition for it! Rj

What the LSA's President was noting about recognition isn't that the members were expected to be treated special by the Service, its the idea, that all the Coast Guard Sailors on board any Lightship were like sitting ducks! Let me try to explain a bit... A Lightship is or was, there are no more in active duty, a floating Lighthouse! As you all know, Lighthouses were built in various locations for Navigational purposes. Either to warn ships and sailors of a dangerous shoal or rocks, or to mark an entrance way to a Harbor in turn used for guidance and to take a compass reading from, knowing that a Lighthouse is stationary, and is not made to move. Period! [attachment 112651 NantucketNo.1052.jpg] So it was imperative for any sailors to perform their duty: Keep the Lightship at the exact Longitude/Latitude as marked on every Nautical Chart produced. Always, regardless of storms, hurricanes, nor'easter,monsoons etc.! Sounds crazy, but they did it, most of the time. Yes, anchor chains broke, hurricanes dragged anchors, and some ships were sunk in collisions. Picture being stationed on a bright RED ship.,[attachment 112648 DSC06094.jpg]anchored near a dangerous underwater shoal, or along side some of the busiest shipping ports in the USA, like New York, or Boston? Ships Captains and crews welcomed the sight of seeing a Lightship! [attachment 112649 DSC06110.jpg]It meant they were either leaving or entering a harbor, finally reaching there destination, safely. Many a Captain leaving a foreign port, sailing to the States, would set their course using the Lightship coordinates for their destination, meaning to change course once they were in visual sight of the Lightship! Occasionally that would be too late, some actually ramming and sinking the lightship! What about FOG? All the Lightships were equipped with Foghorns. Extremely LOUD Horns. Sometimes blowing every few minutes for days at a time, until the fog lifted! Did you know, quite a few Lightship Sailors have hearing problems today, because of serving on a Lightship 30 to 40 years ago, and the V.A. recognizes this issue finally, in just recent years. [attachment 112650 newbedford045.jpg] Lightships had been around since the 1800's in various U.S. locations, mostly on the East Coast. Florida to Maine. Mostly New England. Imagine 13 locations just of Massachusetts over the years. Remember, Radar hasn't been around as long as Aids to Navigation, Lighthouses,Lightships,Buoys. Most didn't have any communications to land either. No radio, telephone etc. Other than fishing boats, or Steamers, Freighters sailing by, or whatever, there was no contact to the real world, unless a Tender arrived bring food,water, or a fresh crew member aboard. A sailor could be on duty for 3 weeks straight without leave. If leave were do, you still needed transportation. If there were a storm, you road it out! Early vessels did not have any engine power. Even later when engines were used, they were way underpowered. A Lightship was not made to travel from port to port. They were built to get to there designated station, and stay there, permanent. Imagine being on a Lightship during a Hurricane? Tethered to an anchor, swinging around,waves pounding over the deck,let alone over the deck house? Swaying back and forth, side to side, up and down with no control. If the Sea didn't kill you, another passing ship could. Talking to my Uncle Anthony a few weeks ago about Lightships. He had his own Dragger for 40 years. He told me, if he were caught of Nantucket or the Cape,in pea-soup, (thick fog) he would try to tie up to a Lightship! Felt safe along side! He would give the sailors fish or lobsters being thankful,in return. However, he also mentioned the Foghorn drove him nuts every time it would go off! :D Better safe and put up with the noise. Lightships were lost, disappeared in storms, actually rammed accidentally and sunk, 50 Lightship Sailors were killed on duty. The LSA has a monument they placed in New Bedford recognizing fellow Lightship Sailors. Its their only recognition.The bell is off the "Vineyard" Lightship. [attachment 112652 NantucketNo.1022.jpg][attachment 112653 NantucketNo.1025.jpg]LSA members tend to the monument, painting, weeding or adding names.It was dedicated in 1999. There are no other Memorials dedicated to Lightship Sailors! Rj

On Friday, The LSA members hopped on two buses, and visited the Kennedy Memorial Park, and a Korean War Memorial. Both were interesting, seeing an eternal flame at Kennedy's was one thing, but the Korean War Memorial is unique also, remembering the "forgotten War".[attachment 112654 DSC06127.jpg] An awful lot of troops were lost during that fiasco. From there, we bussed to the Chatham Pier, where the C.G. keeps three vessels, soon to be two.[attachment 112655 DSC06143.jpg] This the 44301, soon to be retired next June 2009. This Surf boat has an awful lot of history. Notice the numbers are Gold? This designates, she is the last one in service. The 44 is the length, while the 301 is the sequential serial number. She was actually the first production of the 44's. #300 was the preproduction unit, so 301 is the first produced. She was originally built for this station because of the shallow draft needed for the changing Harbor. The sand shifts during any major storm here. I forget here age, but i think sometime in the late fifty's. After serving Chatham for many years, she was replaced by the newer aluminum 47 ftrs you see everywhere. But not for long..the 47's draw to much draft for this dangerous Harbor,so the C.G. searched for another type of vessel. They hauled her from the West Coast, where she had been used for training, performed an overhaul, and here she has been serving her original port for the last 10? years. Two months ago the C.G. purchased two new 42 ftrs, specially designed for Chatham Harbor! Jet drive,twin turbo diesel patrol boats.The Coasties opened her up to us for viewing! All digital electronics, toggle stick control, 4 racing style jump seats,costing $18000 each. Yes eighteen not eight! Wish we could have taken her for a spin![attachment 112656 DSC06170.jpg][attachment 112657 DSC06180.jpg][attachment 112658 DSC06169.jpg][attachment 112659 DSC06209.jpg]Rj

n/t

These two units are manufactured by the "SafeBoat" company. Check out the welding job![attachment 112662 DSC06194.jpg][attachment 112663 DSC06160.jpg][attachment 112664 DSC06185.jpg][attachment 112665 DSC06186.jpg][attachment 112666 DSC06206.jpg]

n/t

It is great that they keep those memories going and honor their friends, present and past. It had to be a great night. Did any of them happen to know your father?

I think that most folks think of the Coast Guard as only rescue folks...get in trouble and a Coast Guard helicopter will come to the rescue. While you have made mention of the lighthouse ships in prior postings, you went just a tab further this time. I never realized that other ships would tie up to them during bad storms or foggy conditions. I was amazed to find out that they had no communication with the shore or other ships during this period of history. Who would have ever known that if the numbers were in gold meant that it was the last ship in that series. Last, those new aluminum boats are beautiful, but I wonder how they keep the the shine on them...hand polished? Ron, thanks for posting this series of stories, I learned a lot about the Coast Guard that I never knew before. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Ron, from one "Honorary Lightship Sailor" to another, you have put together another great series here. We are VERY proud to have you among us.

Rick Gryder, Director
USCG Lightship Sailors International Inc.

http://www.uscglightshipsailors.org/

I don't believe any of them knew my father personally, but they may have crossed paths during duty!