Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The latest project

Ol' Frank

For those who haven't seen our latest project, here are a few pics: This is a "Waiex" all-metal two-seat plane being constructed by Dr. John Gill and myself at Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport. It has a 120 HP Australian six cylinder opposed engine, and should have a top speed of about 187 MPH when flying, although the cruise speed will be quite a bit lower. The factory-built plane is the yellow one, and we have just installed the wings on John's Waiex. For the main and rear sper bolts it' was one of those "ream to within one-and-a-half thousands of an inch" jobs, but I got that part done properly. Those skinny gear legs are 1" diameter titanium rod, and that stuff is VERY difficult to drill or machine. Carbide-tipped drills (expensive!) work best. Also. here's a picture of the Challenger, taken at a farmer's field "Fly-in" a few months ago. That ungodly rough field made me glad I'd installed those oversized tires and the new spring nose wheel!

Stay warm & have fun, folks. -- Ol;' Frank

n/t

I would love to see the mountains out of one of those things. It sure has to be a ball!!

This is my Dream I have alway had a desire and interest in WWI aircraft but never got the chance to fulfill that dream due at the time of factors , the biggest at the time was the lack of kits and or a good set of workable/ flyable aircraft plans and engines suited for such planes . But I found these the other day and it maybe possible some day to make the dream come true .

http://www.airdromeairplanes.com/Default.asp?page=60

These are the same aircraft that were used in the movie "The Flyboys"
Bill G.

You notice the wingie thingies on the side??? That makes it go up in the sky!!

n/t

I always desired to fly when I was younger but I have to confess today that I seriously doubt I'd have the jam to do it know. I love the wing design on that silver bird with the titanium wheel rods though. That's one slick looking aircraft ! It's gotta be quite the thrill watching something like that go up on it's maiden flight. I call what you're doing "living the dream" Frank. Just awesome stuff, to say the least !!:beers:

n/t

Yeah! Those are really fun airplanes, and relatively easy to build! I've had great success with the Rotax 503 DCDI two-cylinder two-stroke engine series which powers most of these models. My 503 burns about 2-3/4 GPH at cruise speed (5500 rpm) -- it's a cheap engine to buy, and is relatively bullet-proof if properly maintained.

The Airodrome planes have some interesting mosdls such as the Fokker Triplanes, but those are very short-coupled and tricky to fly and land. I think I'd go with a biplane instead, but hey! If you wanna have fun, go DO IT!

Regards from Ol' Frank

Thanks, Arkie! They ARE pretty good little planes for the money. The standard 80 HP model uses a converted VW engine with dual electronic ignition, and these have worked out well.

Regards from Ol' Frank

Looks like that would be a lot of fun to fly in. Beautiful workmanship also. Good luck with it. George-CT