Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Last Shot

pennywt

This is not a nice story, but the lesson was learned.

In my sixteenth year, my granny was in the hospital for two weeks and at one of her children's place for three weeks recovering.
That left me to take care of my blind great grandfather. As he had heart problems, I could not leave the yard. Talk about stir crazy and cabin fever. I was nuts.
Every evening a pair of doves would alight on the telephone wire by our house to bill and coo. I grew to hate them for their freedom and their affection.
One of my friend's family was going on vacation to Old Mexico and invited me to go. But of course I couldn't, as there was no one else to take care of Poppa.
Enraged at my being tied down, I shot one of the doves and my hell really began.
As it turns out, doves, wolves, geese and whales mate for life and every evening that poor lonesome critter returned to where it's mate had fallen. Only this time, it cried from loneliness and a broken heart and with every cry, I felt lower than a wart on a snake's belly.
Every time I stepped off the porch, it would fly away, only to return the next evening.
I prayed to God for forgiveness and to let me put that poor critter out of both it's and my misery.
Leaving Poppa alone, I went to ground in the heat of the afternoon, in a comoflage of limbs and tall grass. I waited though the heat of the day and God took mercy on us both, and it was done.
Since that time, I've not killed anything that I wasn't going to eat or that wasn't going to bite me.
The lesson was learned

for some reason I remember a Orieol that I shot becasue I wanted its skin. I never forgot that.

I married a woman that I should have shot though :D

I rarely hunt anymore, got all I need without killin for sport unless it's liberals :rofl:

Dave

ps: If it's tourist season, how come we can't shoot em!

when I was a mere sixteen or thereabouts.

I have asked forgiveness a bunch of times over seemingly insignificant incidents, only to cringe at their memory, fleeting as they are nowadays.

Praise our perfect God for his mercy, knowing that we are all imperfect, He loves us anyway. Learning from our mistakes as children gives us better character as adults. <>< (John 6:37)

aj

All here have made similar stupid mistakes of youth. You had a lot on your plate for a sixteen yr. old. All was forgiven long ago.:)

share that story with all of us. As long as you learned from it, thats all that matters.

I picked up a rock once when I was about 10 or 11 and hurled it at a beautiful robin. I killed it dead, but did I mean to? You bet I did or I wouldnt have done it. What was I thinking? I guess I was counting on my aim to be off like it usually was. I learned from that one too.

Lil Brother:)

Once I shot a bird with a BB gun and really felt bad for several days. I really had no cause for doing it...it was wrong. Thanks for posting this story, brings back some memories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

all learn and grow, as bad as it may hurt sometimes! You punished yourself enough, and thank goodnee our God is a loving and forgiving God, most assuredly so in the ignorance of our youth! Sounds to me you have made up for it many times over! :)