Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Last Catch!

Ron J

This story is about my Cousin Donnie,and his last Catch. My earliest memorys of my cousin,go back to the mid to late fifties.My Mother & Dad would visit my Aunt Dot,Uncle Pete,Cousins,Donnie,Diane and Debbie in Salem,Ma.,on a Friday or Sat.evening. My cousin Donnie was a couple yrs older,and made my brother Paul,and i feel special. My Uncle Pete died on a Christmaseve.unexpectedly. My cousins were maybe 10 to 12 yrs old! They had it rough. As Donnie got to be 13 or so,he started odd jobs.One of those jobs was working for my father,on his lobsterboat.My father taught him alot about the ocean and fishing. Donnie learned all the "hot" spots to fish between Salem and Gloucester Ma.during those years. Donnie had a great personality,always friendly and outgoing! When my brother Paul was 15 and gonna get his license,Donnie GAVE him,his 53 Mercury! How cool was that!! Donnie learned the carpentry trade,and became a contractor.He was also an avid hunter,traveled to different parts of the USA,even brought home a Grizz! That stuffed bear was his pride & joy! But he was still a true FISHERMAN. Always going after Tuna! Don't know the value today,but back in the late 80's or 90's,one could fetch 6 to 10 grand,before you hit the docks of Gloucester! My brothers and i have always had some type of boats.Paul= speed,Allen= fishing,me=pleasure.No fish allowed on my boats.You were more than welcome on board,but no fishing,go to the fishmarket! Just had no interest. In 1989 i purchased a 1yr old,21ft Larson,Cuddy. I would spend weekends cruising between Boston Harbor to Salisbury Beach,near Seabrook N.H. Started to go Whale Watching alot at Stellwagen Bank off Cape Ann,maybe 25 miles out. Everytime i brought friends out,we were always amazed at seeing the Whales.It was a real popular spot for the fishing boats of all sizes,mostly for Tuna. On one trip out to Stellwagen,I saw a real bright "Taxicab Yellow" 27' or so fishingboat,towing its lines,for Tuna. The skipper looked like my cousin,Light hair,weatherbeatin face,husky,but strong build.I cruised closer to see if it was him,or not.(hadn't seen him in a couple of yrs) Sure was!!! I pulled along side,he was just as surprised to see me out there!! Donnie was his joyful self,and we were both happy to see ech other!!Had a quick conversation,and left him to his trolling.. i continued WhaleWatching.. Next Winter,i came home for lunch,and Donnie was visiting my Father.(Dad lived with me after my Mom died) As usual,we were glad to see each other! First thing he mentioned was "You must be goodluck Ron! Right after you left me at Stellwagen,i got a Tuna,sold it for close to $9000.00" That was great,the money carred him thru the winter,when carpentry was dry. This happened in 1990 or 91. In 1993,i believe,i was visiting my Dad in the hospital.Arriving there,i met my brother, Allen,(the fisherman) and Donnie and his daughter Debbie were already visiting.Al and Donnie started talking fish,right off.Al was trying to "milk" Donnie for some fishing secrets,such as what Donnie use's for BAIT? "NO Way",replied Donnie,"WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY? NO WAY!!" He never did release that info. Debbie,(who is rather large,but very joyful,and always a barrel of laughs) starts telling us,how when she was trolling with her Dad,at Stellwagen,had to go potty! Well,its an open boat,so she grabbed the bucket,did her business,and threw it overboard.Like a good seaman,she leaned over the side,to wash out the bucket,but the bucket went to deep,and pulled her ovrboard!! HA! She then tells us,Donnie wouldn't stop,because he's still trolling,with lines way behind him,and tells Debbie,to swim away from his trolling lines,and don't tangle them up!!! Man!,we were all cracking up!!! Donnie told us it was no "Big DEAL" He plucked her out,after completing a large circle!! A true fisherman,letting his daughter paddle around in only 150/200 ft of ocean! That had to be a sight!! That was the last time i saw Donnie.the next year,he was at Stellwagen,and as he was pulling in his last catch,a TUNA,witness's saw him fall to the deck,as he was pulling the fish out of the water.Another fishing boat went over,to see what happened,found him dead on the deck.The Coast Guard,airlifted him,but to late.The coroner told his wife,he was dead,before he even hit the deck! His funeral was packed with people,he had alot of friends.I can still see that smiling,weatherbeatin face of his.He went out doing what he truly enjoyed,with that LAST CATCH!! RJ

Now me..... well When I am 90 or so, I want to be shot going out the window of a nubile young thing , by her jealous husband!!! :) :)

sunny skies

M

While it is sad that Donnie is gone, he left this world doing what he loved doing. I have never known anyone that caught tuna for a living, wish you would tell us more stories about commercial fishing. I have seen some shrimp boats down at the coast, but never talked to any of the fishermen. I do not think they catch tuna down here on the Texas Gulf Coast, but I may be wrong. Thanks for posting the story, I enjoyed reading it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I'am not a fisherman,but because of my father's background,my family has been around the ocean,and fishing boats all our lives.My father was born in Provincetown in 1906,Ptown was one of the original fishing towns,in the country,back to the Pilgrims times.Along with Gloucester,they still have many fishing trawlers,but its a tough way of life.The government established catch limits,and time limits on the fishing industry. They say its "overfished" Who knows? I hate to say it,and could get shot,but limits are needed. Maybe a future story,about Dad ...

And although I am sure you miss him,at least you have your memorys and as Mike said he left while doing something he loved.

that going out young sucks though. Did he have a heart attack? How old was he?

donnie sounded almost like a brother not a cousin,that tuna money must of been from restaurants wanting fresh catch,speaking of restaurants bet you stopped at a few doing all that pleasure boating.

love that raw crap and give dearly for it. Many thousands for each fish if it is high quality

That was one tear dropping story,Brother RON.Just how he was.Good at what he did. I took Donnie cod and haddock fishing when he was around 12 or 13.Caught on quick.Winter time he come over my house,help me make lobster traps.Years later,I would run in to him at lumber yards and some times,job site.We talk fishing and more fishing,BUT NEVER ANY THING, THAT WAS ABOUT TUNA BAIT.ON HOOK OFF HOOK,DIDN'T MATTER.HE CLAM UP. nice guy. I do miss him. AL.

fisherman, that was a good story. About three years ago I went to Maine to visit a friend who lived on a island just off the coast, as I took the ferry out to the island I couldn't believe all the lobster bulleys I think they call them and lobster boats, I just loved it. Some thing about smelling that ocean air mixed in with all those lobster and fishing boats and their catch really gave me a sense for why people fish for a living, it was beautiful on that ocean and with all the little islands around that just made it perfect, I will never forget that great trip and what I saw, thanks for the story Ron.

General Ray

tuna with good taste----he wanted tuna that tasted good!(Remember that commercial?)

He sounded like a real likeable guy with an astounding sense of humor. Good story Ron.

Do you still live on the east coast?

God Bless,

Lil Brother:)

to the open Atlantic! Beverly is a seacoast town,next to Salem Harbor,45 minute ride,by boat,south to Boston,or same north to Gloucester,still a major fishing port.(of course depends on speed of boat) I plan on purchasing another digital camera soon.Hopefully can figure how to post pictures,like the rest of you!! RJ

We would always bring some munchies on board,but it was great,pulling into Gloucester or Boston harbor,and docking at a restaurant,of course it would be Seafood!! Could always drive by car,perhaps 5 minutes,but its not the same.

to me. Going out doing what I love to do! Sorry he's gone Ron!

Dave

most would like to go...doing what they love the most.

Too bad it doesn't usually work out that way. I really enjoyed the story. I know he was special to you. <><

aj