Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Knife...

Dan-MO

I have always enjoyed working-creating things with my hands.I guess I inherited this trait from my grandfather who made many of the little things used in everyday life.Things as diverse as the furniture for his home to hand forged fish gigs,turkey calls,knives and just about anything else you could imagine.By todays standards,he would be considered uneducated and probably illiterate-he had almost no education,couldn

It shows that you spent many hours making it...one of a kind. Your Son will cherish this knife and will be proud to tell others the history of how you spent hours making it. Thanks for sharing this story with the Forum. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

....your insights of your grandfather,are so close to describeing my dad.He has no education but he makes things that would take me forever to make.He will work on a project for weeks,he truly has patience.Even simple things like a birdhouse,he gives away,peaple insisted he sign them.
Quite often he starts a project,no one even knows what it may be,until later on in the project.He is also fearless,scaring the family and friends,when he repairs the high roof.He is 85 years old.
Great knife congrats on a fine and patient work.
later Orlando bc

as you said,it gave you peace of mind doing it.i bet your granddad got self satisfaction from being self suffecient(sp).i think alot of people in the old days that didn't have much learned to make do.

i think that trait is still around,you just don't see it as often.

I have made a few crude ones from old saw blades and it is a lot of work. I have no idea where they are now but they sure were not of the quality of the one you made.

What is that pattern work on it? I can not see it very well.

It is polished to a mirror finish and what showed up in the photo was a reflection....afraid I have much to learn about taking a decent pic

You might be happy to know i know a kid who likes to do the same things. He built a sword out of a lawn mower blade and is always making go carts or motorized bikes and woodworking projects.Unfortunately I don't get to see him much anymore but I'm glad the art of building great things with our hands, has not been lost. Thanks Dan.

go back a ways. He and his grandfather had that extra-close bond that you portray in your stories of you and your grandpa. Scott learned a lot about what he does today thru his grandfather. I want to photograph a picture of a knife and a hatchet his grandfather made, and they are two of the really sentimental pieces he owns when it comes to his grandfather. These and a chair that is now in our home that his grandfather sat in every evening and morning when he got dressed. He told Scott he paid six bits for that chair.

Your knife is beautiful, and someday I know your son will cherish it. He knows it was made from the sweat of your brow, and most of all with love.

I try and find the items I was speaking of above, and post.

Thanks for sharing this story with us! :)

85 years old. And still active making things. Just write down as much wisdom as he can give you so some day you can read back, reminding you of things you might forget. I know that is the way it is with my mother and daddy. I wish I had noted things better, and paid more attention. There is nothing I like better than to sit down with an oldtimer, and hear their stories. They are amazing! :)