Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The hunt is an excuse part 3 ............

Wayne in BC

Cliff crawled out and into his warm duds to go round up the horses who were belled, hobbled, and grazing in the 1/2 mile long meadow next to my base camp. As i fired the woodstove and began coffee, his long whistle and the rattle of the oat bucket was soon joined by hoofbeats, eager nickers, and bells, a foreign but comforting sound that is so welcome as you always worry that the boogers have run off in the night.

Because it was to be an overnighter or maybe two, (4 of the 8 miles of mountain trail could not be traversed in the dark) and hopefully there would be several hundred lbs of meat to be brought out, we packed grub and gear on two pack horses. The last item to go on was a common thing to all of us, a very small Homelite chainsaw which saved much time in clearing the many deadfalls on the miles of trail. Difference was that i had replaced the lubricant in it with cooking oil and it would split a large game animal right down the spine without tainting the meat while eliminating the nasty job of hand sawing.
Thus equipped and setting out more grain so the other 8 head of horses would not follow, (we could not lock them in the corral with nobody in camp for a few days) we set out at daylight with a different attitude, this was not business but two close buds with no dudes to worry about taking on a minor adventure!

Crossing a creek here, i cannot remember which trip photo this is as many were lost in the business re-orginization circa 1986 (divorce) but you get the feeling i am sure.
[attachment 65729 Packhorses.gif]

Two hours of reasonably uneventful travel and a few rest stops for the horses put us here and Cliff looks down on the steep but good trail to our first camp in the valley below where we would overnight and walk up to the high meadow in the pre dawn, unencumbered by noisy horses. Just after this pic was taken we were happy to see several Elk on the edge of the feeding area through my spotting scope, the cheap old camera would not show it though and my ability to scan these dog eared old pics is poor.
[attachment 65721 Ciffabovecamp.jpg]

I must back up a bit here and remind you that these trips took place in the early 80's. At that time our drop off point for the horses enroute to my Elk camp was some 5 miles by mostly 4x4 road from an also fairly remote and poor forestry road, then 10 miles to base camp by horse.
It has been 20 years since i have been there, many shocking and sad changes have occurred since then due to the huge oil boom in Alberta and the pursuit of wilderness by hordes of "campers" who insist on all possible amenities:ranting:
Here is an 06 pic of my daughter and son in law only a half mile from my old basecamp, note the RV barely seen in the background, it sits right where my camp was!!!They still live in Alberta and have used much of my equipment and my old territory these many years. They were shocked when, expecting to park their RV and take the horse to the old camp, an oil company had put through a road and opened the valley to hordes of "mainroad campers":cry:
Note the nice Quarter horses Fred? The Dun is direct Poco blood and the Bay "Three bars" :thumbup:

[attachment 65733 DonnyandDawn1907.jpg]

Our hunt begins soon.....continued........

it is wonderful that we have the memories of the old, much more natural days. They are gone.

I remember my fishing trips to Northern Ontario and on a trip there a few years back I was shocked at the change. None for the better.

We have our memories

was taken 1 year ago tomorrow, how much more change would there be now. Sad to see wildlife areas like that taken over by people wanting to experience the outdoor life. Good story Wayne, now let me have a glimpse of what it was really like without people around.

Like Royal said.......you've got the memories ! Lovin' this journey Wayne. Nobody tells it better:thumbup:

And a gifted writer.I truly envy the lifestyle you lived and enjoy each post you make about it.For this I thank you. Around here it is getting harder and harder to find unspoiled land. A crossing deep in the woods that my grandfather took me to 40 years ago - where he took many deer from and from where I took my first buck from-is now a subdivision.Things change and many times not for the better

we have our memories. Dang shame that we cannot introduce some deserving young folks to those places now! Thanks Dan, for the kind words:)

it is that each of us has some fine and different life experiences to share with our friends. Thanks Rob:beers:

there is still wonderful high country wilderness here in BC and Alberta as well as the mountain states of the USA. My fav patch may be compromised but i know that many remain.
Thanks Bud:cheers:

come up here, they look like they brought the whole house with them. Some of those so-called campers are more like travellind estates. :)

calm seas

Mikie

We finally got the road paved that we live on. My only fear is that the 200 acres on my south border will now be sub-divided...and I do not have the means to buy it.

We must love, hunt and appreciate the forests as we can because tomorrow may bring on an entirely different scenario. Life is not fair.

Really gettin' into the story.

aj

it be so much fun to get a bunch of us together and camp just for a week? It would be a blast for sure!

I know this was back in the 80's, but we could still do it, though a bit more slowly! :lol:

Your days as a guide intrique me, riding horses, hunting large game. Something I never got to do. It is very intersting and exciting to me, and I know you must miss it! Just to be able to go out and climb on a horse like you and Cowboy did is something I always wanted to be able to do!

Although I love the outdoors, and all nature has to offer, I would have loved experiencing something to this magnitude! Of course now instead of shooting and elk with a rifle, I would probably want to shoot it with my camera!

Great photos, I love them,.........just wish I could get them to enlarge bigger than one time.

Can't wait to go to the next part!:)

and would be likely to also use a camera, unless i was meat hungry.
I do miss the camps and friends now and again.
Here is my base camp high on the Ram River, i have only a few photos out of hundreds for reasons best not to go into.....
There are three more wall tents that are not seen off to the left, one for gear, feed and tack, another for socializing and eating and one for staff sleeping. The two shown are guests tents and sleep 6.
[attachment 65823 CampontheRamriver.jpg]

Directly back of me is a spring that comes up from a shallow cave, unseen and surrounded by thick brush, i found it by accident one day and built the camp there. Wonderful icy water in a large flow that formed a small stream which had a series of beaver dams. Full of lovely Cutthroat Trout, i always kept a flyrod in camp and the guests really enjoyed fishing for them. A camp rule was catch and release, with two per person per week for eating and the population stayed stable.
This one is nearly two lbs, note the orange slash under the jaw that gives them their name. Too bad my shadow is in the pic:biggrin:
[attachment 65824 CutthroatTroutatcamp.jpg]

I like the Dun because of the curious look on it's face. I am enjoying the story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

i screened my hunters as they did me and because i was on the recommended guide list for Safari Club International it helped a lot.
The first couple years in the business before i was established were kind of rough as i had to take nearly anyone and some were slobs.
Many were greenhorns in the wilderness but great people and you could not blame them for that, just babysit a bit more:biggrin: A couple of them still stay in contact nearly 30 years later.