Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The hunt is an excuse part 2............

Wayne in BC

The canyon trail......

I could tell by little movements and his breathing that my partner was also awake in the crisp chilled air of the tent, and he knew i was as well. Neither of us spoke for 10 minutes, knowing that 4:00 am was too early with dawn still over 2-1/2 hours away but excitement had us wide awake. Hard to leave a warm sleeping bag with just part of ones nose and face enjoying the crisp air and scents of the night, each hoping the other would get up first and lay a fire in the little sheepherders stove.

Finally i spoke softly to Cliff, my close friend and guiding buddy.....
Lazy azzhole! i whispered, big puzzy! he whispered. Why are we whispering he said?

If you look closely at the pic i posted, towards the top right side there is a open grassy area high up. What you cannot see is the mile or so of trail that follows a steep canyon and is the only way to that prime feeding area for Elk, Deer, and also Bighorn Sheep. Known by us as the "Canyon Trail", it is a near nightmare for men and horses, often narrow with shear drops of several hundred feet in places. No way up the back side, the only option being climbing that mile steeply through continous deadfall in black timber from the valley floor as the pic will also tell you. The Sheep go right across the top of the talus slopes and boulders, all along the ridges above the valley, we could not.

We were hunting this rough area where i never took clients (too dangerous for dudes) for several reasons. Firstly, Cliff had guided for me the past two weeks and had to return soon to his "day job", but he wanted an Elk. Secondly, the Elk herd that lived there was almost never hunted and i did not personally hunt game that was accessible to my clients, bad for business. I had to manage the harvest in my area for the good of the herds as well as myself.
The hunters who had left camp for the Calgary airport the day before with one of my junior guides had each taken an Elk and a Black bear, due mostly to Cliff's abilities. Now with 3 days before the next group and our supplies came in, it was a break for us and a chance for Cliff to get an Elk for the freezer. In those days we thought nothing of packing the dang thing out 8 miles by horse:biggrin:

Continued........

...and stoke the fire. You won't have to get up until you feel the warmth.

How strange is it that those sheep can traverse nearly sheer canyon walls?

Thanks for taking me along. I often wondered where the guides hunt. My broadheads are sharp and my clothes and body have been 'smoked' to avoid that human odor, so offensive to the game. So now I'm ready for day two. Now git up! :biggrin:

aj

am a wake at 4:00 a.m., I'm afraid I will have some conditioning to do in order to take this journey. Now if I can smell the coffee...it gives me incentive to crawl out of my sleeping bag. Since Johnboy will start the fire, maybe Ron will make the coffee. You can duct tape my mouth after I have my cup of java, and I promise to be good! :lol:

I won't even admonish you guys for bad language! :surprised: :)

about lugging out their catch with their four-wheelers. I have never experienced THAT type of isolation Wayne. Woe is me because just reading about it makes my heart stand still. I wonder how many are still living that life, the lucky turds. I envy your memories of such a life. Keep this one coming Wayne.........it's a beaut !!:clapping:

n/t

i guess i was about 36 and also smoked but few could follow me close up a mountain. I craved it and thrived on it. I have several friends who still hunt the mountains but no longer guide, they got old and smart too:biggrin:

but not relate wayne,never been out that far from modern conveniences.in the first part you mentioned the smell of mineral springs,man that would be something.did you have any thermal springs you ran across?

mineral springs or "licks" as we called because the game would lick the mud for the minerals, were sometimes warm enough that they did not freeze, maybe a constant +50 fahrenheit but they seemed warm at 30 below:biggrin: