Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The hunt is an excuse ....finale...........

Wayne in BC

Shock may be a trite word but it was REAL as i knelt by my friend of so many years, the guy who was there for me when my mother and then my father passed and i needed him so bad! The fear clutched my gut and brought a sweat to my forehead.

Cliff lay not quite flat but up some on his left side, breathing raggedly and had the look of a man who knew he was in terrible trouble. I convinced him finally to let me carefully with no touching, to examine what was happening behind his back. On my knees with the light i peered under.
The blood was seeping from under his soft canvas pack, the dark stain and couple drips showing in the flashlight beam. My heart leaped as i realized that something did not smell right and ran a finger gently over the liquid that looked dark in the light beam and coming from under the pack, he was also too high off the ground for much penetration to have occurred i thought hopefully.

Raising the finger to my nose, then my tongue, i nearly laughed but shut up, thinking better for it. Gratefully i said....buddy trust me, the tine did not go through your pack, please try to roll over. He said no way! I can feel it and the blood. I reached again under the pack and put my finger under his nose, saying, you had a couple cardboard orange juice boxes in your pack didn't you? Then rubbed the wet finger on his lips. He started to curse, then stopped and an odd look came over his face and he rolled slowly to his side with a grunt of pain and said, now look, ughnnn....

I can't repeat here what was said in the next couple minutes, suffice to say that we were both very relieved to know that he had a nasty bruise and was saved from serious trouble by the canvas pack, his coat in it, and a couple squashed juice boxes. Those soft packs tend to get articles against your back downright warm over time, about as warm as blood:biggrin:
After a bit i pulled his pack off as well as his wool shirt to find a darkening purple 2 inch bruise, handed him a few Aspirin and said....getcher lazy butt back to work.....i will carry for a while. I said little about the incredible relief i felt, nor did he, we were macho dudes, or pretended to be.

Now the boring part of the story comes in. After a great meal of Elk liver with onions and a good sleep, late morning the next day found us at the Elk carcass, having led the horse up the trail.
No more adventures, just a slow journey back to base camp with the pack horses carrying about 200 lbs of meat each, that is all you get from about 800 lbs of Elk. Quite a bit of walking and chainsaw work now that the packhorse had wider loads and we switched the Antlers and cape from one horse to another halfway back.
We arrived at basecamp in late afternoon, hung the Quarters on the meatpole, took care of the horses, then made dinner, this time Elk tenderloin on an iron grill with campfire baked potatoes and a can of beans:biggrin:

Late now and we sit around the embers of the campfire, wrapped in the velvet blackness of the night and wilderness. The slight sounds all around familiar and comforting, a lullabye for these old friends. Finally we rise from the comfortable stupor, Cliff wincing and saying, best you don't mention about this here little bruise....heck no i said, and i haven't till now:blink::lol:

Epilogue.....

From the time you are 7 or 8 years old, you have become one with the horse beneath you. He knows your nearly unconscious signals to him and you know his mood on any day as he knows yours.
Often painful for lifelong horsemen is the watching of dudes as they clatter about atop the patient and graceful horse, one of your most trusted of course.
By the end of two weeks hunting that changes some with carefully phrased coaching from me or my wrangler/guides. The client is saddle sore for a few days and you walk where you would normally ride, sometimes foothunting stretches the muscles and gives some relief.
I have had some experienced horsemen as hunters who tried to buy my horses for their own hunting back home, knowing as they did that a horse must be virtually raised in a bush setting in order to become a good mountain horse. Taking a cowhorse or pleasure horse from the prairie and dumping him into a world he has never seen, a world of swift rivers, bogs, strange and frightening smells of bears, cougars, etc, all who the horse instinctively recognizes as danger is in the case of most, a poor idea.
Not to mention that horses often fed on only Alfalfa or other tame hay must adjust to the native grasses in the mountains which carry little protein and too many owners do not understand that they must carry grain with them.

I mentioned Cloudy, a nondescript more or less white gelding of uncertain ancestry which i often cussed but tolerated for many years. When i sold the outfitting business and left Alberta in 1988/9, Cliff wanted to buy him, i declined and made a gift of the horse to him along with Frosty who later became blind and about whom i have written, Frosty the wonderhorse who almost never stumbled or slipped even on sheer ice, who would look down and place his feet so carefully that he became so many hunters favorite mount, and who we later realized had such poor vision that he intentionally looked where he was going unlike some nags, and people;)

On the trip out Cliff used Cloudy under saddle and packed his horse, You see, although requiring an experienced horseman under saddle and not at all good for dudes, Cloudy had the softest gait i have ever encountered in a horse. No jarring at the trot, not at the lope, and his walk was silkiness! Just the ticket for a guy with a sore back who also had to put up with his buddies snide comments:biggrin:
Endit.....

Good friends,fine horses = great memories! Thank you for a wonderful adventure story,I honestly wish I could have been one of those green tenderfoots on a hunt with you back then

on a mountain trip! What a great deal, instead of hoping for the best i would have had folks i know to enjoy it with :thumbup:
Thanks so much Dan!

I can almost smell the elk tenderloin cooking on the grill, with baked potato and beans, you had a feast. Glad Cliff wasn't hurt, his pride took the worst of it.

i just hated bringing bodies out of the mountains cause you ain't allowed to quarter them!;)

all your wonderful photo essays:thumbup: Thanks!
The folks here are so interesting in their lives and attitudes and the stories are so appreciated:clapping:

that Cliff was not hurt badly, as I know you were! Are you still friends today?

Do you still ride horses for pleasure? Do your daughers?

You are a real people person, Wayner....this is quite evident,and also a true horseman. Loving your horses, and taking good care of them make you a total loving person.

Thank you for sharing this most vivid hunt with you, Cliff, the horses and the wilderness! I really felt like I was there, and I know you were glad you used the duct tape! :rofl: :)

his ex wife's:biggrin: about 10 years ago and lives only a mile from me. We are still the best of friends:)
I have a few more stories that are not real exciting but give an idea of what treasures we had back then. I will write them as i can.
Oh ya, there was one time when Cliff about chased a dumb bear betwixt my legs and i .....

And you had me going there for a few.

Calm seas

Mikie

I have never experienced living or hunting in the mountains or cold country...we do not even have the large animals that you folks hunt. Your story gave me a rare opportunity to see what it would be like by reading about it.

It was funny about your friend thinking that he had been poked by that horn...you let him off too easy. :rofl: You are correct and I agree with you 100% with your comments about horses.

Are there many Grizzly Bears where you all were hunting? I asked because you made mention of them possibly getting the meat if you left it over night.

Wayne, thanks for posting this story, you really do not realize just how much that I have enjoyed reading it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

understand about the horses. There were several Grizzlies in the area. They have a large territory and we saw them occasionally. Because the kill was made high on the mountain where Grizzlies commonly find food, we were extra careful about bringing the horns and cape down right away, normally we would not have done such a foolish thing in the dark! The cape (skin of the head. neck, and shoulders) is nearly irreplaceable on a very large trophy or very expensive if you can even find one.
Glad you enjoyed the story and thank you!

I remember some parts of a story that you posted a few years ago about how you started, but could not remember how long you did it.

It has been an hour or so since I finished reading your story and I am still thinking about it...I really enjoyed it. Hopefully, if all goes well, my dream and goal is to be coming through your neck of the woods late next summer or the following spring...just depends on the progress of my project. I want to see that beautiful country first hand. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

and i believe you are referring to the "Moose calling" story which took place in the late 60's. I got more involved in the mid 70's and quit in 1988.
I sure am curious about your project, it sounds very exciting!:thumbup:

...of this forum.

Gosh, it was suspenseful, funny, and had loads of character in it. I feel like I was there all along.

You know, I probably have been on a horse no more than ten times. This story makes me realize some of what I have missed along the way, and I wish it could be different.

Thanks for investing the time and your obvious writing talent into this series. I almost feel that I have been on a sho-nuff fancy guided hunt.

If you have not published it, you need to seriously sharing it with the world. This type of story makes me realize how special this forum and its writers are.

Thanks again, buddy.

aj

i am kinda embarrassed and roundly appreciate your kind words.
It is just a pleasure to write something that good friends enjoy.
Seems the tough part for me is to examine my memory and try to relate a story as it happened without getting tedious. I never think of writing a story in "draft" form and editing like i should, but just set here till its done. I will smarten up one of these days:biggrin:
Thanks buddy!

I hated to see it end. I can only dream of what it must feel like to be in places so beautiful and where so few others have travelled. There's lots of envy to go around here on this forum (I say that affectionately) and the memories you have stored from these experiences are infinitely treasured by the likes of this city slicker. Simply put Wayne,... A+++ !